Ryan Gauld

DjembaDjemba

Have to admit it's surprising Douglas hasn't had any involvement whatsoever considering.

Just like with Gauld, wee Chesney only rates players who ply their trade in the Scottish premiership, the premier league and the English championship

Just like with Gauld, wee Chesney only rates players who ply their trade in the Scottish premiership, the premier league and the English championship

...And John McGinn.

I would definitely have Shinnie ahead of Douglas.

Barry is a decent LB but from what little I've seen of him recently he's not much better a defender than when he left United.

Can still ping a decent cross in and has clearly worked on the rest of his game.

Shinnie is definitely the more reliable defender though.

Barry Douglas who is playing for Konyaspor in Turkey (3rd in the Super-Lig) after playing for Lech Poznan who won the Polish Ekltralasa (or whatever it's called). He's better shout than Tierney who's played less than 35 first team games. Definitely deserves a call-up for the Scotland squad.

At LB:

Robertson > Douglas > Shinnie > Tierney

Number of first team games is a dreadful way to measure players. You're basically saying that even if Tierney was the best left-back in the world, you wouldn't call him up because other folk have played more games.

If we base it on sensible things like ability, then Tierney is ahead of Douglas on account of him not being complete and utter shite.

Personally, I thought he shouldn't be in the squad. Playing well in the Scottish Championship is too low a level to merit a international call-up, same goes with English League 1.

Agree with that generally, though I think exceptions can be made for friendlies (if the League 1 or Scottish Championship players in question look really promising and are very likely to be playing further up in the near future).

Number of first team games is a dreadful way to measure players. You're basically saying that even if Tierney was the best left-back in the world, you wouldn't call him up because other folk have played more games.

If we base it on sensible things like ability, then Tierney is ahead of Douglas on account of him not being complete and utter shite.

Douglas might not be brilliant. He might well be the worst of the 4 left backs mentioned, but I'm not sure how you come to the conclusion that he's complete and utter shite? 

Personally, I think he deserves a shot in a friendly at some point to make his case. Why? Because he's in a relatively niche situation of playing for top end teams and winning things in fair to good leagues abroad, so it's hard to judge his current ability as neatly as we do with British-based players. The highlights vid of his part in the Poznan title winning season was fairly impressive, and I'd hope he's at least being monitored by the Scotland staff.

Edited by Gordopolis

I find infuriating that Tierney gets called up with so little game time yet ryan gauld has played lots more senior games and does not. WGS does not have clue what direction he wants to take the team

I find infuriating that Tierney gets called up with so little game time yet ryan gauld has played lots more senior games and does not. WGS does not have clue what direction he wants to take the team

He probably doesn't want to play Gauld at left back, so that's a pretty good direction.

Douglas might not be brilliant. He might well be the worst of the 4 left backs mentioned, but I'm not sure how you come to the conclusion that he's complete and utter shite?

I watched him playing for Dundee United and he was barely good enough for them.  He was an absolutely atrocious defender whose only strengths lay in the attacking side of his game.

Of course, it's possible that he's improved drastically since going out to Poland and Turkey, but I'd say it's even more likely that he's just found a couple of leagues/teams where people stand off the full-backs and allow them to sling in crosses from all angles.

I can't see what value we would get in calling up Douglas "to have a look at him".  Is he realistically going to be better than Robertson?  Very unlikely.  We then have Tierney and Shinnie waiting in the wings for that position, and both of those guys look very capable too.

Some people seem to struggle to grasp the concept that a player can be in fantastic form for their club side without that automatically meaning that they deserve an international call up.  If there are better players in your position then it's tough luck.  The same thing applies to the calls for the likes of Lee Wallace and Jason Holt to get a call-up purely on the back of them playing well for Rangers this season.

I watched him playing for Dundee United and he was barely good enough for them. He was an absolutely atrocious defender whose only strengths lay in the attacking side of his game.

Of course, it's possible that he's improved drastically since going out to Poland and Turkey, but I'd say it's even more likely that he's just found a couple of leagues/teams where people stand off the full-backs and allow them to sling in crosses from all angles.

I can't see what value we would get in calling up Douglas "to have a look at him". Is he realistically going to be better than Robertson? Very unlikely. We then have Tierney and Shinnie waiting in the wings for that position, and both of those guys look very capable too.

Some people seem to struggle to grasp the concept that a player can be in fantastic form for their club side without that automatically meaning that they deserve an international call up. If there are better players in your position then it's tough luck. The same thing applies to the calls for the likes of Lee Wallace and Jason Holt to get a call-up purely on the back of them playing well for Rangers this season.

Aye and what if Robertsons injured...

Did you see the last 2 squads? Loads of boys you could say the same thing about, what's the point in calling them up as they're unlikely to start. It's to have a look at them incase the starter is injured. Douglas has probably been the most successful Scottish player to go abroad in recent times and he's not even managed to get into a squad when playing for the Polish campions and the team that's 3rd best in Turkey.

I'd call up Douglas. Anyone playing well in leagues stronger than our own deserves at least looked at. Would also have the follow on benefit of letting players know if they do go abroad they're not forgotten about. Having players go abroad would be benefit for the national team and a player, nowhere near the set up when he left, breaking in after a few years overseas might encourage others to do it or at least not be worried about it.