Ryan Gauld

DjembaDjemba

Bottom seeding never hurt Wales in last qualifying campaign did it?

Exactly! Being bottom seeds mean nothing when youre absolutely brilliant and amazing like we'll be in ten years time.

Can't believe nobody else has thought of this.

Ok, what would your solution be to make us a good footballing nation again then?

I've just told you. 

Bored at work again. Gonna check out this ridiculous idea of Wales and Northern Ireland being better because they play teenagers before they're ready to give them experience to see how the other home nations have done.

Top 5 youngest Wales players this millenium

Harry Wilson

Gareth Bale

Lewin Nyatanga

Chris Gunter

Dave Cotterill

3/5 going to Euros

Northern Ireland

Johnny Gorman

Shane Ferguson

Josh Carson

Carl Winchester

Liam Donnelly

1/5 going to Euros

Republic of Ireland

Aiden McGeady

Paul Murphy

Anthony Stokes

Stephen Gleeson

James McCarthy

2/5 going to Euros

England

Theo Walcott

Wayne Rooney

Raheem Stirling

Micah Richards

Marcus Rashford

3/5 going to Euros

Scotland

Kieran Tierney

Danny Wilson

Garry O'Connor

Oliver Burke

James McFadden

2/5 played for Scotland recently.

We're sitting about average. That wee list should show there's no guarantees about calling up teenagers for "experience". They get that week in/week out with their clubs. Not on a four day training exercise and half an hour at the end of the friendly v Estonia.

If we're going back to McFadden's debut then should Darren Fletcher not be in for us too?

Exaggeration of course, but what do we have to lose? Our high current world standing as "warm up" fodder for other nations?

Do you really think we are likely to qualify for next World Cup as it stands? I bet Slovakia are VERY confident they will turn us over....

When it's comments like this flying around, sensible discussion has clearly beaten a hasty retreat.

Jesus...

Actually, I'll humour this, and show exactly what we do have to lose.  For the current World Cup qualifying, we were in pot 3 after narrowly missing out on pot 2.  Say we went along your plan of just playing the youth instead of all others for the past four years, since we failed to qualify for World Cup 2014.  We've lost a lot, and we've slipped to 78th in the World.  We're now at a record low (previous was 77th) and with a final defeat in a qualifier before the draw, we're confirmed to be in pot 4 for the World Cup qualifying.

We then draw Germany, France, Sweden, Cyprus and Kazakhstan (or some other similar nightmarish draw).  The youths aren't coming on as you hoped they would, and we pick up 8 points out of a possible 30, only beating Cyprus and Kazakhstan at home, and drawing the two away games.  We lose to everyone else, and slip further down the rankings.  The Euros don't use rankings, but our previous youth-only policy has hurt our coefficient there too.  We find ourselves in pot 5, and with only the top 2 qualifying, we find ourselves in another nightmare draw.  We lose every match against pot 1, 2 and 3, scrape two draws against pot 4, then get turned over by new bottom pot side Kosovo.  Twice.  We finish bottom of the group, which sees us drop out of the top 100 in the rankings, and sit comfortably in the middle of pot 5.  Another terrible draw sees us with Georgia as out pot 6 side, and they make it a hat-trick of wins in Tbilisi.  We finish bottom of our 2022 qualifying group, winning only once, and find ourselves staring the bottom pot in the face.

But aye, right enough, we have absolutely nothing to lose.

Edited by forameus

Time to ditch the older players in the squad as they just are not good enough I would have more respect for the ginger 1 trying a different approach. Unfortunately what happens to scotland managers they start off with attacking mindset have a good few results then creep into a shell and start trying to setup not to lose rather than winning. Which ends us back to picking old players at end of career who take zero chances during the game. We are bereft of any flair and youthful exuberance it's trudge and painfull to watch

Time to ditch the older players in the squad as they just are not good enough I would have more respect for the ginger 1 trying a different approach. Unfortunately what happens to scotland managers they start off with attacking mindset have a good few results then creep into a shell and start trying to setup not to lose rather than winning. Which ends us back to picking old players at end of career who take zero chances during the game. We are bereft of any flair and youthful exuberance it's trudge and painfull to watch

We pick older players because, and I'll try and make this clear, we do not have younger players good enough to displace them.  How can some people not see that?  If there was the talent, they would be picked.  He doesn't pick Gordon Greer because he fancies him and dreams about long walks down the beach at Largs, he picks him because he's one of the best options we have in his position.  He'd love to have someone better.

The "setting up not to lose" argument is a fallacy too.  Levein was setting us up not to lose when he put us out 4-6-0.  Strachan puts us out more positively than that, we're just not good enough generally.  Funnily enough, had we set ourselves up not to lose against Georgia, we may well have actually won. 

Aye but Fletcher's debut was at 19 - so I'd include him in that 'recent youngsters capped and stuck with before they were fully established' list.

David Marshall, Gary Caldwell and Grant Hanley in there too (Garry O'Connor - not sure if he counts)

Good link that BTW - love stats me :)

We should defo blood them young. I don't see an issue with playing a 14 or 15 year old if he is rated, Samuel Eto'o made his debut at 15. John Fleck is the best Scottish player in 20-30 years, and he was ruined by Scotland and Rangers neglect.

This is so close to the level of debate on this forum that I actually read it as serious at first.

We pick older players because, and I'll try and make this clear, we do not have younger players good enough to displace them.  How can some people not see that?  If there was the talent, they would be picked.  He doesn't pick Gordon Greer because he fancies him and dreams about long walks down the beach at Largs, he picks him because he's one of the best options we have in his position.  He'd love to have someone better.

The "setting up not to lose" argument is a fallacy too.  Levein was setting us up not to lose when he put us out 4-6-0.  Strachan puts us out more positively than that, we're just not good enough generally.  Funnily enough, had we set ourselves up not to lose against Georgia, we may well have actually won. 

How do we know there not good enough until we play them. Gauld would be in my team everytime as of 2 years ago playing just behind the stiker. The team are crying out for a bit flair. I would have tierney playing left back every game with Robertson attacking left mid, were missing a trick not having those 2 playing on the left together imo.

Robertson over next 2 seasons will blossom into a special player for us.  With those two exciting players on the left creating plenty of chances in the box its perfect for our most natural goalscorer to get a game in rhodes.

This would be a very attack minded team but SCOTLAND managers just dont have the balls to do it.

How do we know there not good enough until we play them. Gauld would be in my team everytime as of 2 years ago playing just behind the stiker. The team are crying out for a bit flair. I would have tierney playing left back every game with Robertson attacking left mid, were missing a trick not having those 2 playing on the left together imo.

Robertson over next 2 seasons will blossom into a special player for us. With those two exciting players on the left creating plenty of chances in the box its perfect for our most natural goalscorer to get a game in rhodes.

This would be a very attack minded team but SCOTLAND managers just dont have the balls to do it.

Fucking hell

I'll quote the player himself from a recent article

' i think my development has slowed down a little bit,’ said Gauld, who scored eight goals in 38 first-team games in his final season with Dundee United in the Scottish Premiership.

It’s nearing the end of my second year in the B team. To be perfectly honest, it’s not what I hoped for. It has slowed down in the last few months and that’s why I was hoping to go out on loan and play first-team games as that would accelerate my development again.

‘Sporting said: “No†when I asked about the possibility of a loan move. There was a bit of interest but Sporting said they wanted to keep me and that’s how it went.'

Four years left on his contract with a £48 million release clause.

I hope he can kick on and be the player we can all enjoy watching in a Scotland jersey but whether that happens remains to be seen.

It's such a stupid argument you (and others) have put forward, citing that article. If anything that article shows that he's doing well. Sporting don't want to send him out on loan because they think he'll be useful to them, instead they want to keep an eye on him in the B team. Gauld being frustrated that he hasn't broken through yet means absolutely f**k all apart from confirming that Gauld has a bit of ambition about him.

I still have no idea why so many people are so keen to write him off.  We're a weird nation.

It's such a stupid argument you (and others) have put forward, citing that article. If anything that article shows that he's doing well. Sporting don't want to send him out on loan because they think he'll be useful to them, instead they want to keep an eye on him in the B team. Gauld being frustrated that he hasn't broken through yet means absolutely f**k all apart from confirming that Gauld has a bit of ambition about him.

I still have no idea why so many people are so keen to write him off. We're a weird nation.

I agree. Let's everyone get behind the young players as they do not play with fear.

We need to break the cycle we are in & we could do worse than base the team on youth.