Ryan Gauld

DjembaDjemba

The average age of our most recent squad is 27.9.

Thats lower than ROI (29.9), Czech Republic (29.3), Russia (29.2), Italy (29), Slovakia (29), Romania (28.8), Northern Ireland (28.6), Portugal (28.4), Spain (28.1) and Hungary (28).

So yeah. Startling proof that this kenny moron is a moron that we should all just ignore.

We don't "need" to do anything like that. Just because most international squads are younger, doesn't mean that you can't win things with a group of slightly older guys. We need to pick our best starting 11 right now, because we clearly have a chance of qualifying for the World Cup. Our best starting eleven contains a number of younger players anyway, and there are likely to be more of them on the fringes of the squad.

Danny Wilson has barely proven himself at Scottish Championship level, so the idea that he should be in the Scotland squad is ludicrous. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see Rangers replacing him this season.

I would probably give up with Scotland if Danny Wilson got called up again tbh, he is absolutely woeful.

The average age of our most recent squad is 27.9.

Thats lower than ROI (29.9), Czech Republic (29.3), Russia (29.2), Italy (29), Slovakia (29), Romania (28.8), Northern Ireland (28.6), Portugal (28.4), Spain (28.1) and Hungary (28).

So yeah. Startling proof that this kenny moron is a moron that we should all just ignore.

The last squad was missing 6 or 7 of the more mature variety so I, m guessing you looked for the youngest sqaud u could find.

Our last competitive game at hampden a crucial match against Poland average age 31. You can sit back in the corner now #owned

Edited by kenny131

The last squad was missing 6 or 7 of the more mature variety so I, m guessing you looked for the youngest sqaud u could find. Again you talk pish

Heres our starting average age over the qualifiers.

v Germany - 27.3

v Georgia - 27.2

v Poland - 29.1

v ROI - 27.2

v Gibraltar - 28

v ROI - 29

v Georgia - 29

v Germany - 28.3

v Poland - 28.2

v Gibraltar - 29

"average age is more than three years older than any at the Euros"

:lol:

We don't "need" to do anything like that. Just because most international squads are younger, doesn't mean that you can't win things with a group of slightly older guys. We need to pick our best starting 11 right now, because we clearly have a chance of qualifying for the World Cup. Our best starting eleven contains a number of younger players anyway, and there are likely to be more of them on the fringes of the squad.

Danny Wilson has barely proven himself at Scottish Championship level, so the idea that he should be in the Scotland squad is ludicrous. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see Rangers replacing him this season.

Tierney is a much better defender than Robertson, so much so that I could even see him playing centre-back at some point in his career.

I agree Tierney is a natural defender and with huge potential but he's surely too wee for a centre-back?

Our average age is 3yrs more than any team there.

Thats lower than ROI (29.9), Czech Republic (29.3), Russia (29.2), Italy (29), Slovakia (29)

Our last competitive game at hampden a crucial match against Poland average age 31. You can sit back in the corner now #owned

Even if your average age against Poland was correct, you'd still have just proved your first post is moronic  :lol:

Can certainly see why our squad is on the old side. Most of the young players we have aren't good enough , if they were they would be in the team.

In the likes of Naismith, the Fletchers, Brown, Morrison, Whittaker, Maloney, Hutton etc we've just had a generation of players who weren't good enough to get us to a major tournament. They're now all either in their 30's or will be soon so their international career is coming to an end.

The problem we have is the generation we have coming behind them - the under 25's in the squad - look like they're going to be of an even lower standard. Our best young player is a left back for Hull City. Desperate times indeed. Apart from him... Em... Grant Hanley?

Can certainly see why our squad is on the old side. Most of the young players we have aren't good enough , if they were they would be in the team.

In the likes of Naismith, the Fletchers, Brown, Morrison, Whittaker, Maloney, Hutton etc we've just had a generation of players who weren't good enough to get us to a major tournament. They're now all either in their 30's or will be soon so their international career is coming to an end.

The problem we have is the generation we have coming behind them - the under 25's in the squad - look like they're going to be of an even lower standard. Our best young player is a left back for Hull City. Desperate times indeed. Apart from him... Em... Grant Hanley?

Exactly. The wilderness years are pretty much guaranteed for another decade now. I'm hopeful that the academy system will up the standard somewhat. The oldest players from that must be 15/16, so a long time before we see if it produces anything for the national team.

Incidentally whether it works out for Gauld or not I'd like to see more young Scottish players move to the continent in the way he did. I know he hasn't played any top flight football there but I get the impression his development there has very much been of a nurture for the first team rather than a rot in the reserves type situation you might find in the UK. It's a different culture. English players don't enough of a chance in first teams, what chance do Scottish youths who move down there have?

Edited by Enigma

This is just guess work btw. No idea if these players are actually under 23 but I think they are. Possible future players... Pretty bleak but if you look at the guys in the team now you wouldn't have thought any of them were up to much at that age.

Keepers

Bain

Defenders

Robertson

Tierney

Kingsley

Patterson

Midfielders

Gauld

Fraser

Burke

McGinn

Walker

Nicholson

McKay

McGregor

Christie

Forwards

Cummings

Anyone able to expand on that? Obviously just meaning established first team players at clubs not all the youth guys that haven't played.

Pretty bleak but if you look at the guys in the team now you wouldn't have thought any of them were up to much at that age.

There is a lot of truth in that. You rarely regard a 22 year old player still making his name in the same way as you would regard a the same guy at 30 years old who has medals, caps and a solid career behind him. Kenny Miller is a good example of this. He looked like he wasn't going to make it for us at one point. Fast forward to the later years of his international career and he had won most over and was a must pick for a long time.

6 or 7 years ago I don't remember thinking Snodgrass, Naismith etc were going to become anything other than decent servants. It's only now that they've had the time to serve the national team that you can appreciate the strong performances they have put in (performances that have marked them out as seasoned, solid internationals). McGinn, Burke and Tierney will all go on to become the new stalwarts - all they need is the exposure to international games and the chance to build up their reputations at that level.

We don't "need" to do anything like that.  Just because most international squads are younger, doesn't mean that you can't win things with a group of slightly older guys.  We need to pick our best starting 11 right now, because we clearly have a chance of qualifying for the World Cup.  Our best starting eleven contains a number of younger players anyway, and there are likely to be more of them on the fringes of the squad.

Danny Wilson has barely proven himself at Scottish Championship level, so the idea that he should be in the Scotland squad is ludicrous.  I wouldn't be at all surprised to see Rangers replacing him this season.

Tierney is a much better defender than Robertson, so much so that I could even see him playing centre-back at some point in his career.

No he's not and he is playing against much less talented attackers right now. He will never play CB guaranteed as he is quite small and that is a complete waste of his talents. He is much more likely to move forward than back. Kingsley could play CB.

That's farcical actually, how anyone could look at Tierney, a small, quick, talented, skillful player whose main strengths are running with the ball and his technical skills and think yeah stick him centre half, jesus christ remind me never to listen to a word you say about football ever again. Laughable, I'd happily bet you a million quid he won't play CB for one second of his entire career, there is literally no chance of that.

Robertson is Hull's best player, they're in the EPL, and he will soon be at one of the top clubs in the world having moved for over 10 million. He's outstanding, possibly the best young LB in Britain right now and has been interesting the biggest clubs in the world for 18 months now. You're an idiot.

Tierney is hardly small. He's 3 centimetres away from being 6 foot and a bit of a unit considering his age.

Is he as tall as that? Still too small for a CB really unless he grows a bit and couldn't possibly be less suited to playing there, it is also a complete waste of him as it stops him doing everything he is good at. No chance he will ever play CB, Kingsley might though, especially left of a 3 at the back he would be very well suited to that.