Ryan Gauld

DjembaDjemba

Since 1990, Celtic, Rangers and Hearts have faced Portuguese clubs in Euro competition on 26 occasions. Clubs are Sporting, Benfica, Porto, Boavista, Braga. Guimaraes & Maritimo, the record reads 12 wins, 6 draws and 9 defeats.  I’d says that’s fairly good against a league that is supposedly miles ahead.

http://www.eurocupshistory.com/match/confrontation/POR-SCO/portugal_against_scotland_in_uefa_club_competitions

As I said earlier, I’ve watched a wee bit of Portuguese fitba in the flesh, Benfica, Sporting, Estoril, Belenenses and some lower league stuff. I’m basing my view on what I’ve seen and its just my opinion that its not much better than SPFL domestically although as I said, they do seem to deal with Euro comps a lot better.

Anyway, here's hoping Gauld comes good second half of the season and we can be talking about him at Sporting next season.

Edited by Goalie Hamish

Since 1990, Celtic, Rangers and Hearts have faced Portuguese clubs in Euro competition on 26 occasions. Clubs are Sporting, Benfica, Porto, Boavista, Braga. Guimaraes & Maritimo, the record reads 12 wins, 6 draws and 9 defeats.  I’d says that’s fairly good against a league that is supposedly miles ahead.
http://www.eurocupshistory.com/match/confrontation/POR-SCO/portugal_against_scotland_in_uefa_club_competitions
As I said earlier, I’ve watched a wee bit of Portuguese fitba in the flesh, Benfica, Sporting, Estoril, Belenenses and some lower league stuff. I’m basing my view on what I’ve seen and its just my opinion that its not much better than SPFL domestically although as I said, they do seem to deal with Euro comps a lot better.
Anyway, here's hoping Gauld comes good second half of the season and we can be talking about him at Sporting next season.

Scottish teams in the 90s and even the early 2000s were competitive but there has been a drop in standard. You only have to analyse the Scottish teams performances in Europe the last 5 years they are awful (I include Celtic in this) 2017 / 2018 - rangers lose to a team from luxenburg Aberdeen lose to a team from Bosnia stjonstone lose to a team from Lithuania Celtic win 1 game in champions league against a terrible anderlecht side. 2016/2017 - hibs lose to team from Denmark hearts lose to a team from malta Aberdeen lose to team from Slovenia Celtic win 0 games in champions league - 2015 / 2016 - Inverness lose to a team from Romania Aberdeen lose to a team from khazakstan stjonstone lose to a team from Armenia Celtic don’t qualify lose to team from Sweden. Portuguese league is miles better but Scottish fans seem to think we still dine at the top table of European football whereas in reality we are now behind leagues like Poland Slovakia slovenia Sweden Switzerland and Portugal etc.

22 hours ago, Goalie Hamish said:

Really? I've watched a decent chunk of it and been to a number of games over there. It really isn't.  I'd fancy Partick in a game against Aves.

Well your experience of going to games there is certainly better than mine but i really couldnt see Gauld not getting a regular start for Partick if he played for them and they are truly comparable. Also would be surprised if Portugese sides were pumped out of Europe regularly by some of the diddy sides that knock out Scottish teams.

On 12/16/2017 at 11:59, badgerthewitness said:

I'll just take this opportunity to remind everyone, Portugal are currently ranked 7th in the UEFA rankings. 

20 places above us.

It's anything but a shite league.

No denying it's a better league than scottish prem but to be fair there are only 7 Portugese based players in the current Portugal squad out of 24.

14 out of 44 if you include recent call ups.  Rest are almost all from La Liga, Ligue 1 and Serie A, and some from Turkish superlig. 

4 hours ago, PrestersKTID said:

No denying it's a better league than scottish prem but to be fair there are only 7 Portugese based players in the current Portugal squad out of 24.

14 out of 44 if you include recent call ups.  Rest are almost all from La Liga, Ligue 1 and Serie A, and some from Turkish superlig. 

Unfortunately most them started in Portugal and moved on to bigger things which gives even more weight to the argument.  They produce top players almost every year that go for good money to big teams.  They all play in this league initially, it's night and day ahead of Scotland.

On ‎15‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 23:49, skippy2015 said:

Scottish teams in the 90s and even the early 2000s were competitive but there has been a drop in standard. You only have to analyse the Scottish teams performances in Europe the last 5 years they are awful (I include Celtic in this) 2017 / 2018 - rangers lose to a team from luxenburg Aberdeen lose to a team from Bosnia stjonstone lose to a team from Lithuania Celtic win 1 game in champions league against a terrible anderlecht side. 2016/2017 - hibs lose to team from Denmark hearts lose to a team from malta Aberdeen lose to team from Slovenia Celtic win 0 games in champions league - 2015 / 2016 - Inverness lose to a team from Romania Aberdeen lose to a team from khazakstan stjonstone lose to a team from Armenia Celtic don’t qualify lose to team from Sweden. Portuguese league is miles better but Scottish fans seem to think we still dine at the top table of European football whereas in reality we are now behind leagues like Poland Slovakia slovenia Sweden Switzerland and Portugal etc.

Just want to point out we beat the Bosnians but then lost to Cypriots who then got through the play-off round and made the Europa Groups. They drew 3 and lost 3, taking points of each of Lyon, Atalanta & Everton.

Previous season we lost to Maribor who made the CL groups this season. We'd beaten Rjeka the round before who beat AC Milan 2 weeks ago. Was very disappointed losing to Maribor.

Before that it was Kairat from Kazakhstan when we made an arse of it.

And before that, we were knocked out by Real Sociedad after knocking out Groningen (who later that season won the Dutch Cup).

3rd Qualifying Round each of the last 4 seasons, being knocked out by fairly decent teams but also knocking out teams who were much favoured over us on the way.

Just want to point out we beat the Bosnians but then lost to Cypriots who then got through the play-off round and made the Europa Groups. They drew 3 and lost 3, taking points of each of Lyon, Atalanta & Everton.
Previous season we lost to Maribor who made the CL groups this season. We'd beaten Rjeka the round before who beat AC Milan 2 weeks ago. Was very disappointed losing to Maribor.
And before that, we were knocked out by Real Sociedad after knocking out Groningen (who later that season won the Dutch Cup).
3rd Qualifying Round each of the last 4 seasons, being knocked out by fairly decent teams but also knocking out teams who were much favoured over us on the way.

Is that really good enough though? Aberdeen have had the most success in Europe out with Celtic but always get knocked out in qualifying for europa league ....... so back to point the Portuguese league is much better than the Scottish league presently. Portugal currently placed 7th in co-efficient Scotland 23rd behind Israel belarus sweden and Romania . Take celtics results out we would drop to low 30s alongside Liechtenstein and Iceland.

In saying that I do see some positives I think there is a lot good players starting to come through like mccrorie, Cochrane, Mcdonald, Tierney, ralston, Wright, Morgan etc and they seem to have good technical ability. Hopefully the league will improve year on year and we won’t be celebrating getting knocked out of the europa league third qualifying round.

7 hours ago, skippy2015 said:

Is that really good enough though? Aberdeen have had the most success in Europe out with Celtic but always get knocked out in qualifying for europa league ....... so back to point the Portuguese league is much better than the Scottish league presently. Portugal currently placed 7th in co-efficient Scotland 23rd behind Israel belarus sweden and Romania . Take celtics results out we would drop to low 30s alongside Liechtenstein and Iceland.

In saying that I do see some positives I think there is a lot good players starting to come through like mccrorie, Cochrane, Mcdonald, Tierney, ralston, Wright, Morgan etc and they seem to have good technical ability. Hopefully the league will improve year on year and we won’t be celebrating getting knocked out of the europa league third qualifying round.

Believe me, I have never celebrated us being knocked out in the third qualifying round and I haven't seen anyone on this thread celebrating that. Who is the 'we' that has been celebrating?

I accepted the Real Sociedad defeat as they were vastly superior but there was disappointment in the other games at that stage of the competition.

And I do think we have underachieved by not reaching at least the play-off stage at least once.

My point was that Aberdeen have not been knocked out by absolute no-marks the last 4 years like some other sides have. Other than Sociedad away, we have been competitive in every game we've played in Europe over the last 4 years, and we've thrown one or two opportunities away where teams have punished us for mistakes.

11 hours ago, skippy2015 said:

so back to point the Portuguese league is much better than the Scottish league presently. Portugal currently placed 7th in co-efficient Scotland 23rd behind Israel belarus sweden and Romania .

Yet Scottish clubs consistently have the better record when clubs from both countries meet. 

As I said, they seem to do better than Scottish clubs in Europe, that's obvious by the stats, but the standard below the top clubs isn't better than the SPFL, at least not by any great margin.  Maybe they are better equipped to handle Euro comps, but trust me mid to lower table league games are as much a hard watch as our equivalent.

So to pull it all together and back to the point of the thread, Ryan Gauld should be a stand out every week for Aves. He's just turned 22, if he can't stand out between now and the end of the season then I can't see him at Sporting much longer.  I hope he does, now is the time for him to make his mark.

Yet Scottish clubs consistently have the better record when clubs from both countries meet. 
As I said, they seem to do better than Scottish clubs in Europe, that's obvious by the stats, but the standard below the top clubs isn't better than the SPFL, at least not by any great margin.  Maybe they are better equipped to handle Euro comps, but trust me mid to lower table league games are as much a hard watch as our equivalent.
So to pull it all together and back to the point of the thread, Ryan Gauld should be a stand out every week for Aves. He's just turned 22, if he can't stand out between now and the end of the season then I can't see him at Sporting much longer.  I hope he does, now is the time for him to make his mark.

Your argument is terrible. Because Scottish clubs have a good record against Portuguese clubs there isn’t a difference lol it’s to small a sample of one of games and if you could give me 4 or 5 examples where Scottish teams have triumphed over Portuguese opposition out with old firm since say 2010 that would be great . If we look at Vitória Guimarães squad who finished 4th against my team st Johnstone who finished 4 last season. Guillermo Celis a Colombian international going to World Cup - Paula hutardo a Peruvian international important player for them going to World Cup Xande Silva capped at all levels for Portugal big things expected Víctor Garcia Venezuelan international , Junior Tallo plays for Ivory Coast only 23 African cup of nations winner Ghislain Konan only 1 full cap for Ivory Coast but only 20 just made full debut.

Sporting Braga finished 5th hearts finished 5th last season- marking bagkic Montenegro international Kouka Egyptian international going to World Cup , Danilo Barbosa 21 capped for Brazil at all age levels robert muric rated croatian Ricardo Horta played for Portugal at every level including full international Ricardo Ferreira capped at all levels by Portugal, Marafona 1 cap for Portugal Nikolai vucivic 26 caps for Montenegro.

Excluding sporting Benfica and Porto the rest of the Portuguese league has many more international players going to the World Cup than that of all the Scottish league including Celtic , more international players in general , more players who will develop and go on to play on top leagues across the world, a much better international team.

I agree with the last bit of your post even if Gauld was commanding a place in the aves team regularly he would still find it hard to break through there so think his days there are numbered. Can see a permanent move at end of season to another Portuguese club like setabul for instance.

2 hours ago, skippy2015 said:

Your argument is terrible.

For goodness sake calm down, I have my opinion and you have yours and I base mine on going to games in Portugal and judging what I see. I'm not going to argue the toss over it as its only about opinion.

The Euro record v Scottish teams is taken over a 27 year period, if a league is so obviously better then it should show in the stats, it doesn't.

On ‎20‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 10:19, gkneil said:

that Rijeka results almost as good as when you beat Bayern Munich, eh

For goodness sake calm down, I have my opinion and you have yours and I base mine on going to games in Portugal and judging what I see. I'm not going to argue the toss over it as its only about opinion.
The Euro record v Scottish teams is taken over a 27 year period, if a league is so obviously better then it should show in the stats, it doesn't.

27 years isn’t really an accurate record when comparing the standard now though in the 90s early 2000s the Scottish league has more quality and if we look at the standard of players that used to play larrson, gascoigne van bronkhurst petrov etc it’s clear the old firm have went backwards last 6 or 7 years which probably enhances the stats on head to head.

Porto have won the Champions league and Europa league in recent times. Benfica have been in the later stages of both (not sure if won the Europa?) alongside multiple latter stages appearances from both them and Sporting Lisbon. We have two runs to finals from the Old Firm that now have mythical status...nails it for me.  Ronaldo is Portugese.  This isn't a reasonable comparison.  Only my opinion though.