NFL Draft 2014 Thread

Sloop John B

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wisconsin RB Melvin Gordon returning to school next year. Shame, I fancied him as the first RB off the board.

The 205 draft is going to be strongest at RB in a while - Gurley, Gordon and Yeldon are all likely to be round 1 selections.

The 205 draft is going to be strongest at RB in a while - Gurley, Gordon and Yeldon are all likely to be round 1 selections.

Definitely that talented but I think we won't see a 1st Round RB for quite some time. Every year, players are getting picked up in the later rounds and having success. My guy Andre Ellington (6th), Zac Stacy (5th) and Alfred Morris (6th) have all shown that in recent years. Even players like Jamaal Charles and DeMarco Murray were 3rd round picks.

There isn't enough truly game-breaking RB's in the game anymore because of the swing toward pass heavy offenses. Also, college football isn't producing them because of the heavy use of spread offenses. The only college churning out traditional bell cow backs is 'Bama (Ingram, TRich and Lacy) and that's because of their offensive philosophy and scheme.

Just seen that. Looks like he is declaring

So do we think he's Houston bound then? Surely the Texans dont pass up a guy like that. i know theres talk of them trading back but I'm not sure they're desperate for any other positions. A RB to back up chocolate boy Foster and a safety and thats about it I think? Don't know who's out of contract for them right enough.

I was looking at the Texans defense since we are playing them this week. With the personnel they have I think they are screaming out to switch to an even front 4-3 and in turn I could actually see them taking Clowney as his presence would make the switch even more impactful with him coming off the edge and JJ Watt collapsing the pocket. This would allow them to take less pressure on their weak LB core by removing a lot of the rush elements and allowing them to focus on support and coverage. Although they obviously need a QB but they seem the sort of team that have enough talent that they could potentially wait til the second round and picking someone up then.

I was looking at the Texans defense since we are playing them this week. With the personnel they have I think they are screaming out to switch to an even front 4-3 and in turn I could actually see them taking Clowney as his presence would make the switch even more impactful with him coming off the edge and JJ Watt collapsing the pocket. This would allow them to take less pressure on their weak LB core by removing a lot of the rush elements and allowing them to focus on support and coverage. Although they obviously need a QB but they seem the sort of team that have enough talent that they could potentially wait til the second round and picking someone up then.

:lol: Thats what I've done with them in my madden season and it works all right :P

That might not be a bad idea, heard a few 'expert predictions' that some of the top QBs could fall as late as the 3rd round like Tajh Boyd and Jimmy Garrararapolo, (although I've only seen highlights from boyd, the consensus is that he's very good). Bear in mind though Cushing will be back next season along with one of their rookie linebackers so it might suit them to stick with the formation that worked so well last year.

If Brett Hundley declares then I think he gets taken 5th out of the QBs before Boyd, Texans, Jags, Raiders, Browns and Vikings could all take one in the top 10. If Clowney is still there I think the Raiders would take him over a QB though.

Washington TE Austin Seferian-Jenkins declares for the draft.

He's dominant at the catch point, physical with great hands and is a good blocker. However, He's a more traditional TE compared to other top talents Eric Ebron and Jace Amaro who are effectively glorified receivers that can be moved around the formation. I've got him as my number 3 ranked TE and a 2nd Round selection. It seems he is being used as an in line blocker a lot more this year which means he hasn't been as productive on paper. Red Zone monster though.

Sammy Watkins and ASJ would be pretty pretty good for the Jets first two rounds.

Washington TE Austin Seferian-Jenkins declares for the draft.

He's dominant at the catch point, physical with great hands and is a good blocker. However, He's a more traditional TE compared to other top talents Eric Ebron and Jace Amaro who are effectively glorified receivers that can be moved around the formation. I've got him as my number 3 ranked TE and a 2nd Round selection. It seems he is being used as an in line blocker a lot more this year which means he hasn't been as productive on paper. Red Zone monster though.

Sammy Watkins and ASJ would be pretty pretty good for the Jets first two rounds.

TE is stacked in this draft with three first round talents. I am hoping the Amaro or ASJ fall to the Pats as either would be a big help (albeit in slightly different ways) to our offense, with Amaro basically a Hernandez replacement and ASJ a great red zone guy (as you say). Either with a fit Gronk would be really effective imo.

TE is stacked in this draft with three first round talents. I am hoping the Amaro or ASJ fall to the Pats as either would be a big help (albeit in slightly different ways) to our offense, with Amaro basically a Hernandez replacement and ASJ a great red zone guy (as you say). Either with a fit Gronk would be really effective imo.

4 if you're going by talent alone, the Oregon drop out is supposed to be the best of the bunch in terms of athleticism and ability, just a host of off field issues sending him down the draft boards. Maybe a late pickup for the seagulls?

4 if you're going by talent alone, the Oregon drop out is supposed to be the best of the bunch in terms of athleticism and ability, just a host of off field issues sending him down the draft boards. Maybe a late pickup for the seagulls?

Interesting to see where he falls in this draft. There have been examples on both sides of the coin with character concerned players. Tyrann Mathieu and Vontaze Burfict have been outstanding and trouble free whilst Aaron Hernandez and Justin Blackmon have been naughty.

Interesting to see where he falls in this draft. There have been examples on both sides of the coin with character concerned players. Tyrann Mathieu and Vontaze Burfict have been outstanding and trouble free whilst Aaron Hernandez and Justin Blackmon have been naughty.

Bit of an understatement.

Archived