Scottish Independence

xbl

It probably is.

How do you suggest we deal with the piss poor budget we have?

I'm not having a go at their budgets. I can name 3 major SNP tax polcies - the council tax freeze, the corporation tax cut and the aboltion of Air Passenger Duty.

• Replies 16.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Isn;t that effectively the SNP?

I don't mean that as a criticism. but you wouldn;t really call them a left facing party in terms of economics would you - their major tax polcies are all either freezes or cuts.

Freezing taxes in a recession is a bloody good idea, you increase them in a boom. Cutting or freezing taxes with no regard to the state of the economy or as an ideology is right-wing, what the SG is doing is common sense economics.

Isn;t that effectively the SNP?

I don't mean that as a criticism. but you wouldn;t really call them a left facing party in terms of economics would you - their major tax polcies are all either freezes or cuts.

hmm. If the SNP are centre right. Where does that put New Labour or the Lib Dems? Let alone the Tories or UKIP.

To be honest I don't think its easy to place the SNP on the political spectrum. Its full of left wingers but also has folk like Swinney. They are a bit of a rainbow. Just my opinion.

Freezing taxes in a recession is a bloody good idea, you increase them in a boom. Cutting or freezing taxes with no regard to the state of the economy or as an ideology is right-wing, what the SG is doing is common sense economics.

We're not in recession now

we weren't in recession in May 2007

The corporation tax and APD aboltion are polcies the snp would enact in 2016, there's no privsio of "if the economic conditions are right"

To be honest I don't think its easy to place the SNP on the political spectrum. Its full of left wingers but also has folk like Swinney. They are a bit of a rainbow. Just my opinion.

I'd say they are centre-right in terms of economics. I'd say they are centre left on most social issues although a proper liberal type may point to some of their justice and centralising policies as evidience to the contrary.

although in fairness the local income tax may be an example against this centre-right idea. i don;t know enough about it.

hmm. If the SNP are centre right. Where does that put New Labour or the Lib Dems? Let alone the Tories or UKIP.

I'd say, in the current climate, the Tories are the far-Reich.

Yes, because we've been out of a recession for at least a week we must wheech up the taxes!

That's quite a leap there - I'm not saying the SNP's polcies are wrong (although I'm uncomfortable with these 3 in particular for various reasons) what I'm saying is the SNP's headline economic polcies could be defined as centre right.

We weren't in recession in May 2007 when the SNP got elected on a freeze council tax ticket.

What's more, the White Paper states "We plan to set out a timescale for reducing corporation tax by up to three percentage points below the prevailing UK rate"

Nowt about economic conditions (you defined such a cut as right wing) or even what an optimum rate would be, simply undercutting rUK

What's more, the White Paper states "We plan to set out a timescale for reducing corporation tax by up to three percentage points below the prevailing UK rate"

A policy the SNP's own economic adviser described as increasing inequality in society.

Still, Brian Souter will approve, so that's all right.

Still, Brian Souter will approve, so that's all right.

That's another good one - the SNP where in favour of regulating the bus indistry (leftish) but switched to deregulation (rightish) before the 2007 election.

That's another good one - the SNP where in favour of regulating the bus indistry (leftish) but switched to deregulation (rightish) before the 2007 election.

Pure coincidence.

The fact Souter donated heavily to the party funds was neither here nor there.

Can I be the first to call the NCC response of whataboutery, probably involving Tony Blair?

For every Souter currying favour from YES there will be 100 corporations currying favour with the other side.

This is second time we've seen whataboutery on this subject on this page,

Reagrdless of millionaire donor Brain Souter's influence over SNP policy my point is a significant amount of the Nats economic polcies are fairly centre right,

They've doen a very good job of selling themselves as centre left on social issues whilst also winning middle scotland. My point is, if people are looking for a centre right party to emerge in an Independent scotland without the stain of the tories, it could well be the SNP

Reagrdless of millionaire donor Brain Souter's influence over SNP policy my point is a significant amount of the Nats economic polcies are fairly centre right,

They've doen a very good job of selling themselves as centre left on social issues whilst also winning middle scotland. My point is, if people are looking for a centre right party to emerge in an Independent scotland without the stain of the tories, it could well be the SNP

Equally, it could well be Labour.

The cult like mentality doesn't permit criticism of the SNP.

Equally, it could well be Labour.

It could be. Heck it could be the Greens ( :lol: ) the evidence at this point siggests it's more likely to be the SNP though, if we discount the possibilty of a liberal or tory resurgnece in 2016.

I'm looking for a centre right party with a left leaning side when it comes to the poorer folk, I can feel the groundswell rising for social justice but there appears to be little thought for business flourishing from a lot of these people.

Earlier you mentioned APD, what's wrong with doing away with it, aye, the airlines make more cash but shops, restaurants, golf courses, hotels, b&b's etc all get a much needed boost as well, that £200m in tax cut might generate a lot more for our economy.

I'm looking for a centre right party with a left leaning side when it comes to the poorer folk

Like corporations who need a tax cut and millionaire transport moguls?

I'm looking for a centre right party with a left leaning side when it comes to the poorer folk, I can feel the groundswell rising for social justice but there appears to be little thought for business flourishing from a lot of these people.

Earlier you mentioned APD, what's wrong with doing away with it, aye, the airlines make more cash but shops, restaurants, golf courses, hotels, b&b's all get a much needed boost as well, that £200m in tax cut might generate a lot more for our economy.

I think that party you describe is the SNP to be honest - universalism with middle class tax cuts.

Is abolishing APD worth £200m to a Scottish Treasury? I'm uneasy about it because i;ve never really noticed the added tax of apd when booking a flight, I;m not sure it'll be that great an incetive to passengers, and I;m not convinved it'll promote tourism as much as it will outward travel.

Like corporations who need a tax cut and millionaire transport moguls?

NO, new entrepreneurs getting lots of tax incentives to start up, women, youngsters, new technology start up businesses etc not having to worry about tax for the 1st 4 or 5 years, tax cuts for businesses that reach certain guidelines regarding their lowest paid, women on boards, union reps on boards etc.

NO, new entrepreneurs getting lots of tax incentives to start up, women, youngsters, new technology start up businesses etc not having to worry about tax for the 1st 4 or 5 years, tax cuts for businesses that reach certain guidelines regarding their lowest paid, women on boards, union reps on boards etc.

So, which party has these plans?

Archived