Scotland's Oil

Hey! Ho! Jambo!

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Quite a few of our " parcel of rouges "coming out o the woodwork.

I'm starting to think that when independence is declared, we should construct a " Ragman Rolls " for our Nation.

Some fucking revolutionary you. Why not a modern-day Madame la Guillotine or, at the very least, some light tarring and feathering?

Writing names on a list is so 13th Century.

http://www.express.co.uk/finance/city/442547/North-Sea-may-see-200bn-oil-bonanza

On the one hand we have Ian Woods in November last year, and the papers talking of an oil bonanza.

Obviously this being in the Daily express amongst others, it was meant for the wider UK audience and there would be intent to attract business investment.

However, we then have his intervention today, a few weeks prior to the referendum. Intersting timing.

Listening to the scottish BBC reporting his views, the oil is running oot in 15 years and is worth no where near what was projected. No counter opinion allowed from the other experts actually involved in extraction who could rubbish that.

Are Sir Ian's apparent changing views being accurately reported? Has he changed his mind? If so why? In the space of 9 months. And why so now, a baw hair from the referendum.

Strange auld world.

It's good to see Mr Woods contribute to the discussion of Scotland's oil after what he describes as grossly inaccurate information by both campaigns.

Down to a sixth of production, by as early as 2030 and the YES campaign have exaggerated the reserve by '45% - 60%'.

Production levels for North Sea oil & gas have fallen by an average of 7.8% since 1999 - Hedge may have explained before the reasoning why - he might like to reiterate again.

Also, given Hedge's excellent explanation of how reserves are calculated it is perfectly possible to come up with 2 wildly different reserve calculations using the same information.

Im wondering if the wood group have an interest in some tasty fracking type contracts??

According to their half year report issued on Tuesday they have a lot of interest in them. One of the growth areas they see. Not just in Britain though.

Mostly worldwide.

People stop what your doing and look in your back gardens sir ians lost a few billion barrels of oil in a few months

The report stated 12-24bn barrels and he's stated a figure at the lower end so he can't be accused of lying but is being 'conservative' for a very good reason.

I wonder if the reserves include the west of Scotland/firth of clyde which could be exploited if they manage to get rid of the utter waste of money that is Trident.

http://www.express.co.uk/finance/city/442547/North-Sea-may-see-200bn-oil-bonanza

On the one hand we have Ian Woods in November last year, and the papers talking of an oil bonanza.

Obviously this being in the Daily express amongst others, it was meant for the wider UK audience and there would be intent to attract business investment.

However, we then have his intervention today, a few weeks prior to the referendum. Intersting timing.

Listening to the scottish BBC reporting his views, the oil is running oot in 15 years and is worth no where near what was projected. No counter opinion allowed from the other experts actually involved in extraction who could rubbish that.

Are Sir Ian's apparent changing views being accurately reported? Has he changed his mind? If so why? In the space of 9 months. And why so now, a baw hair from the referendum.

Strange auld world.

Are you saying that they are telling the rUK one thing and us Jocks another?

That will never catch on.

Yeah, all this decline in production and volatility perfectly explain unprecedented levels of investment and expenditure in North Sea oil.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-21564947

Investment is mainly in the 4 medium-sized fields that will come on stream in the latter half of this decade. That will increase production but nowhere near the 1999 levels. Investment in exploration itself is at an all-time low.

Woods himself said that reserves are not running out but that the main issue is production levels.

Not forgetting the London Olympics, which we contributed to, and the Glasgow Commonwealth Games, which they didn't pay a penny towards.

The London Olympics were a UK nationwide event. Where everybody contributed.

The Glasgow Commonwealth games were a Scottish National event, similar to the Manchester Commonwealth Games.

Which if memory serves me right...let me think. .that's right... Scotland contributed the sum total of bugger all.

That's like someone from Inverness complaining about having to fork out because the games were in Glasgow.

So please don't play the hard done to card.

The Glasgow Commonwealth games were a Scottish National event, similar to the Manchester Commonwealth Games.

Which if memory serves me right...let me think. .that's right... Scotland contributed the sum total of bugger all.

That's like someone from Inverness complaining about having to fork out because the games were in Glasgow.

???????????? surely a joke

Who's looking forward to being part of the UK once the oil and gas runs out?

With nothing set aside, no gold reserves and who only knows how many trillions in debt?

I would much rather face my future and have my kids future in an independent Scotland than face what future the UK is taking us down.

See that part where you said the " LONDON " Olympic Games?

*ucked up right there.

Who's looking forward to being part of the UK once the oil and gas runs out?

With nothing set aside, no gold reserves and who only knows how many trillions in debt?

I would much rather face my future and have my kids future in an independent Scotland than face what future the UK is taking us down.

1) What nonsense are you talking about the UK having no gold reserves?

2) Why would iScotland be in a better position than the UK in a "no oil or gas" world? What counter intuitive garbage, Oil and gas forms a very small part of the UK economy.

It would be a huge part of the Scottish economy.

1) What nonsense are you talking about the UK having no gold reserves?

GORDON BROWN SOLD THE MAJORITY OF IT OFF ON THE CHEAP

2) Why would iScotland be in a better position than the UK in a "no oil or gas" world? What counter intuitive garbage, Oil and gas forms a very small part of the UK economy.

WE WOULDN'T SQUANDER IT ALL LIKE THE UK HAVE. ONE HALF HAS BE WASTED ON THE SQUARE ROOT OF NOTHING... ID RATHER WE HAD CONTROL OF THE NEXT HALF.

We wouldn't squander it all like the UK have.

It would be a huge part of the Scottish economy.

Scotland had 180 million plundered from her lottery good causes fund to go towards ultimately a new stadium for West ham united.

At the time, we were assured that the rest of the country out with London would benefit from a post Olympic bounce with tourists funnelling out to see the rest of the country. Scotland and northern England actually saw something like a 10% drop in visitor numbers as fleeced punters shunned Kendal mint cake and McGowan's highland toffee in favour of clearing their overdrafts.

More hidden subsidy.

Edit: BTW Manchester received a hefty taxpayer subsidy as it was financially struggling. Taxpayer as in me and you, if you were out of short pants at the time. Man city got a lovely new stadium etc etc.

More subsidy etc etc

Edit: BTW Manchester received a hefty taxpayer subsidy as it was financially struggling. Taxpayer as in me and you,

So did Glasgow.

Taxpayer as in me and you.

I wonder if the reserves include the west of Scotland/firth of clyde which could be exploited if they manage to get rid of the utter waste of money that is Trident.

What has Trident to do with oil exploration ? Are you suggesting that a future Scottish government would be doing it themselves or nationalising the oil companies ? The only other option would be that you're just throwing in as many 'Freedum' cliche's as you can and I'm sure that's not the case.

Archived