Latest Polls and Latest Odds

Lex

They were not "drastically wrong". The actual levels of support for the SNP increased dramatically between March and May. Every poll reflected this. There were no major changes to methodology or sampling in that 2 month period. People just changed their minds.

Which if you remember the actual political context, seems very credible. Labour's vote collapsed in the wake of poor TV debates, an absolute shoeing in the press through, among other things, Subwaygate, and a massively negative campaign which nobody really bought into.

They gave Labour a 44% lead weeks before the election. Labour ended up on 31.6% of the vote. That's getting it drastically wrong in my book.

They gave Labour a 44% lead weeks before the election. Labour ended up on 31.6% of the vote. That's getting it drastically wrong in my book.

1. No they didn't give Labour a 44% lead.

2. The purpose of polls isn't in isolation to predict a result. It is to give a snapshot of public opinion and to track changes in it over time. When a poll is taken in March asking about voting intention for an election in May it is not trying, from its own figures in isolation, to tell you how the vote will go in May. It is showing you what kind of swing is likely to be required to produce a particular result, and, in context with the polls by the same methodology and company before and after it, to provide an indication as to what if any swing is actually occurring.

TNS' poll was therefore not "wrong" in early March 2011. If anything it merely served to provide a marker against which all subsequent swing took place. Observe that TNS were the first polling company save an Ipsos Mori one in February 2011 to put the SNP even within the margin of error of the popular vote over a 15 month period before the election. They called the swing first. They had all the win.

In fact if the trend continues!!!!

Bjk1U_-CcAEaWbb.png

Don't try and put trendlines on polling data, there is no underlying physics available to be able to predict ahead, and therefore any future trend is highly speculative at best, it could quite as easily slow down, speed up, reverse itself or bottom out.

Don't try and put trendlines on polling data, there is no underlying physics available to be able to predict ahead, and therefore any future trend is highly speculative at best, it could quite as easily slow down, speed up, reverse itself or bottom out.

Quite.

I agree with Oaksoft.

A No vote is ABSOLUTELY saying you have no confidence in Scotland governing her own affairs and you'd rather continue to be shafted by Westminster.

Might be a harsh truth, but a truth nonetheless.

It's not the truth though is it? People may believe Scotland can manage it's own affairs, but they may think their affairs are better managed as part of the UK than by an independent Scotland. They may not believe they're being shafted by the current system.

You could use your argument for any group of people or any geographical location. It's nationalist nonsense.

It's not the truth though is it? People may believe Scotland can manage it's own affairs, but they may think their affairs are better managed as part of the UK than by an independent Scotland. They may not believe they're being shafted by the current system.

You could use your argument for any group of people or any geographical location. It's nationalist nonsense.

How anyone can think their affairs are best managed by other people where their own voices are incidental, rather than integral to the decision making process is beyond me.

How anyone can think their affairs are best managed by other people where their own voices are incidental, rather than integral to the decision making process is beyond me.

That's fair enough, you have a different opinion to them. But I doubt all 'no' voters think Scotland can't manage their own affairs.

Why do you think that the rest of the UK are "other people" but representatives of other parts of Scotland are not "other people"?

Scottish representatives are integral to the decision-making processes of the UK. Anyone who suggests otherwise is willfully setting a double-standard on Westminster c.f. Holyrood or making an argument not for Scottish independence but decision-making so localised as to preclude most of what the EU has done in the last 2 decades and for decentralisation considerably further than Bute House.

That pre-supposes that scotland speaks with "one voice". it doesn't. there are a range of socio-economic factors at play which cut across demographics, and sees shared interests amongst different people all over the UK.

That's fair enough, you have a different opinion to them. But I doubt all 'no' voters think Scotland can't manage their own affairs.

Not the point, the point is that maintaining the UK system at present means that Scottish votes are not generally required to inform the composition of government, hence Scotland effectively hands over control of it's affairs to a legislature in which it's own representation is marginal, and unable to influence policy in a meaningful way.

Not the point, the point is that maintaining the UK system at present means that Scottish votes are not generally required to inform the composition of government, hence Scotland effectively hands over control of it's affairs to a legislature in which it's own representation is marginal, and unable to influence policy in a meaningful way.

Why then are you ostensibly in favour of the European Parliament passing directives and regulations without the need for a single UK or Scottish MEP voting in support of them?

That pre-supposes that scotland speaks with "one voice". it doesn't. there are a range of socio-economic factors at play which cut across demographics, and sees shared interests amongst different people all over the UK.

Again, not the point. The point is that Scottish votes do not significantly contribute to the composition of any given UK government. If Scotland votes Labour, it only gets a Labour government becuase England voted that way as well, same goes for the Tories.

Why then are you ostensibly in favour of the European Parliament passing directives and regulations without the need for a single UK or Scottish MEP voting in support of them?

Who says I am? I recognise that the European free trade zone is something we should be part of, I don't like the European parliament as an organisation and in any case, most important EU stuff is still carried out at an intra-state level. Ultimately there are trade offs in sovereignty. I'd quite like some to have to trade, please.

Landline polls got the last SNP landslide completely. Wrong mainly because schemies like me don't have a Landline. There is almost a revolutionary feel for yes

Polorising the issue into almost a class war.:) I know which side of the barricades I'm.on.