Latest Polls and Latest Odds

Lex

It was from Forsyth to Major around about the time that Edwina was coming out from under his desk.

Are you seriously suggesting that Forsyth was ever for a devolved parliament? Read here and here and here

Again, what?

Are you now saying "we were told we'd never have a devolved Parliament" was actually "Michael Forsyth didn't want a devolved parliament"?

Again, what?

Are you now saying "we were told we'd never have a devolved Parliament" was actually "Michael Forsyth didn't want a devolved parliament"?

That was the same Michael Forsyth who was the secretary of state for Scotland. At a time before the Scottish Parliament the effective sole governor of the province. Westminsters henchman. The hand of the king.

You can take it then that his view, was the view of the state at the time. To try to argue otherwise is falling victim to being a pedantic cretin.

Again, what?

Not that it matters, seeing as you're being deliberately obtuse, but Michael Forsyth's boss, John Mayor, who was Prime Minister of the UK, also shared the policy that there would be no Scottish Devolved Parliament.

http://www.johnmajor.co.uk/page2049.html

You can take it then that his view, was the view of the state at the time.

What, the view of a Conservative government was that they didn't want a devolved assembly? No shit Sherlock. They didn't implement the policy.

The claim made was that we were told there would be no Scottish Parliament. Unless the Conservatives supposed they would rule forever, their short term policy decision was by no means telling "us" that there would be no Scottish Parliament.

That would be like saying "we were told there would be no minumum wage" because, err, the Tories under Major didn't propose it or want it. Because that was a Labour policy as well introduced by the very same government.

Again, what?

No I am saying that the policy of the government for the majority of the 90s was to deny scotland devolution. This continued to be the stance by the tories even after Labour won in 97

Notice the Bookies odds are getting even closer. Last week Bet365 were 9/4 Yes and 1/3 No. Today they are 2/1 Yes and 4/11 No. Quite substantial changes in the last week, nevermind the difference over the last month or so!

Another thing to bear in mind with polls. Polls are done by companies who have registered contributants, those contributants are likely to be regular voters. However, this referendum is a bit different, technically, it's not a political election with parties up against each other. A massive disinterest in this causes the usual low turnouts, especially in some areas where a typical turnout is between 30 and 40%. However, a lot of people are getting involved in this, and a lot of people who don't normally vote, are registering, and intending on voting Yes. Therefore I feel the polls aren't as reflective as they usually are!

Also, the latest results which was IIRC 39% Yes, 42% No and 19% Undecided. When they take out UD, it gave a 48% Yes and 52% No. However, what we also need to bear in mind is that people who are currently Undecided, are usually more inclined to vote Yes but still have questions wanting answered. I'd seriously suggest that the majority of those will vote Yes.

The interesting thing about this debate, is that the Yes camp has shown consistant growth, you don't really hear of people moving from Yes to UD or even No. However, surprisingly for me, people are moving from No to UD to even Yes! So it is pretty obvious that a great momentum is going for Yes, and the more and more people are being engaged with the referendum as we get closer, I'm confident there will be polls showing a Yes victory soon, and each day I am getting increasingly more confident that we will vote Yes.

It is safe to say, I fuckin cannae wait!! and that Mr Bairn is a c**t.

A very good post. However, don your hard hat and wait for HB or Mr Bairn to scream for evidence of don't knows being inclined towards Yes.

I'd agree with you, but they're c***s.

:)

Notice the Bookies odds are getting even closer. Last week Bet365 were 9/4 Yes and 1/3 No. Today they are 2/1 Yes and 4/11 No. Quite substantial changes in the last week, nevermind the difference over the last month or so!

Another thing to bear in mind with polls. Polls are done by companies who have registered contributants, those contributants are likely to be regular voters. However, this referendum is a bit different, technically, it's not a political election with parties up against each other. A massive disinterest in this causes the usual low turnouts, especially in some areas where a typical turnout is between 30 and 40%. However, a lot of people are getting involved in this, and a lot of people who don't normally vote, are registering, and intending on voting Yes. Therefore I feel the polls aren't as reflective as they usually are!

Also, the latest results which was IIRC 39% Yes, 42% No and 19% Undecided. When they take out UD, it gave a 48% Yes and 52% No. However, what we also need to bear in mind is that people who are currently Undecided, are usually more inclined to vote Yes but still have questions wanting answered. I'd seriously suggest that the majority of those will vote Yes.

The interesting thing about this debate, is that the Yes camp has shown consistant growth, you don't really hear of people moving from Yes to UD or even No. However, surprisingly for me, people are moving from No to UD to even Yes! So it is pretty obvious that a great momentum is going for Yes, and the more and more people are being engaged with the referendum as we get closer, I'm confident there will be polls showing a Yes victory soon, and each day I am getting increasingly more confident that we will vote Yes.

It is safe to say, I fuckin cannae wait!! and that Mr Bairn is a c**t.

Hi buddy, can you do me a favour and provide some evidence that the DKs are leaning towards yes?

Still to come Scottish Gold medals at the C Games and the word,'England' being repeatedly said in a jingoistic frenzy for the World Cup.

Who knows what affect these type of things will have on the Polls

Considering how much that always annoys me, I can't believe I didn't think of that. I wonder if the commentators will be told to tone it down this time. Which will of course lead to a backlash from the 'Engerland' types.

England winning the World Cup must be worth a % point or two for yes.

That actually poses a brilliant question which I think would get interesting answers.

Would you take an England World Cup win if it meant Scotland definetely voting Yes in September?

Considering how much that always annoys me, I can't believe I didn't think of that. I wonder if the commentators will be told to tone it down this time. Which will of course lead to a backlash from the 'Engerland' types.

Maybe we'll hear things like - ''The UK's representative'' & ''England, representing The UK'' :o

That actually poses a brilliant question which I think would get interesting answers.

Would you take an England World Cup win if it meant Scotland definetely voting Yes in September?

Yes, because after Independence I wouldn't give a rat's ass what they do. :)