Latest Polls and Latest Odds

Lex

Girl that interviewed me for the Survation poll said good luck as she said thanks for taking part. Don't know if they say that to everyone but thought it was a nice touch.

Don't know when the poll is going to be released. Said she didn't know.......slut.

Did she sound sexy?

The wee poll-cat.

Except they haven't. If you exclude rUK, the number of bets placed on a Yes vote has been far, far, far higher than the number of bets placed on a No vote. The stakes placed on a No vote have been far higher.

Yeah? That's right! Super.

Out of interest, how much has been bet on Yes and No respectively?

So you think the opinion of the voting public is irrelevant when forming an opinion on the outcome of a public vote?

I think the opinion of the voting public is relevant. That's why professional polls showing movement has adjusted the odds.

Asking jaikies in bookmakers their views isn't important.

Yeah? That's right! Super.

Out of interest, how much has been bet on Yes and No respectively?

I don't have specifics to hand, but if you look at the post at the top of this page it will give you an idea.

The odds for this were not worked out based on probability. There was a strategic decision made to offer "No" at very short odds with the expectancy of flushing out big stakes south of the border who wanted a good return on a short term investment on something that was seen by many as an almost certain outcome. That is exactly what has happened.

Bookies exist to make money. If there is a yes vote, they will make money. That is all I am saying on it.

In fact, if we go back to this.... what you are saying is that the bookmakers' strategy was to "flush out" big stakes on No by err, having it at really poor odds. This worked a treat, and now they face losses on the back of it if it's a No vote.

Given that there will be a No vote, this is a disaster for them.

So how does that square with your "Bookies exist to make money" claim?

Where did you post this? Wouldn't mind reading it.

I'm merely speculating, but imagine a group of bookies decided to use their Scottish branches to scout opinion on the referendum. Imagine they received feedback from their branches showing a massive amount of pro yes sentiment compared to no. Imagine they were surprised at that. Imagine they thought that their original expectation of Yes as an outside bet was wrong by some distance. Imagine that they thought they could profit from this by offering very short odds on a No vote, expecting that most high stakes punters would think the establishment will make sure a No vote is certain. Imagine lots of high stakes bets going on a No vote at very short odds, from people who were certain it was a relatively risk free way to get a good return on an investment over a 2 year period. Imagine the bookies limiting the maximum stake you can place on a Yes vote to ensure they do not pay out too much if that decision is the one that comes out, ensuring that a Yes vote makes them a big profit.

Merely speculation, of course.

In fact, if we go back to this.... what you are saying is that the bookmakers' strategy was to "flush out" big stakes on No by err, having it at really poor odds. This worked a treat, and now they face losses on the back of it if it's a No vote.

Given that there will be a No vote, this is a disaster for them.

So how does that square with your "Bookies exist to make money" claim?

We'll find out on Friday.

The people they were aiming to get would not be looking at it as a bet at poor odds, they would be looking at it as a safe, short term investment with a very high yield.

Edited by Ross.

The people they were aiming to get would not be looking at it as a bet at poor odds, they would be looking at it as a safe, short term investment with a very high yield.

Well, yeah. I've said all along it's a good return on investment.

But still stupid. Anyone who bet No at 1/6 or 1/7 as several high rollers did should have waited. The odds on No were always going to contract nearer the event.

So, if there is a No vote, you will be completely wrong?

If there is a No vote I'll wish I had dismissed what I was told as I had done originally. I was told this about 9 months ago and reminded of it around a fortnight ago. With other data being made available in the time in between, I think it has far more behind it than it did when I was told the first time.

I wouldn't read too much into betfair paying out on a No vote. A nice publicity stunt from them on behalf of the No campaign. Considering their co owner is the grandson of a ex Tory MP it was probably the least he could do. (Apologies if some on had already mentioned this. I can't be fucked checking)

http://www.bettinggods.com/andrew-black-betfair-co-founder/