Latest Polls and Latest Odds

Lex

Really? That's your take on this? What's the issue?

REALLY?

Yeah, it's not like they've said they're going further on ALL the cuts the coalition have made, they just think it's a good idea to save money by cutting in these two areas. I really don't see what the problem is here.

Yeah, it's not like they've said they're going further on ALL the cuts the coalition have made, they just think it's a good idea to save money by cutting in these two areas. I really don't see what the problem is here.

Baaaaaa.

Has anyone tried to bet any money on this?

I was going to sling £300 on Yes today with Skybet online and the maximum bet allowed on Yes was £55.56.

McBookie was £40.

What the f**k?

Why would you look to do it with either McBookie (4/1) or Skybet (9/2) when you can get the full £300 on easily with Betfair at odds of a smidgen under 11/2?

Why would you look to do it with either McBookie (4/1) or Skybet (9/2) when you can get the full £300 on easily with Betfair at odds of a smidgen under 11/2?

Because I am lazy and I can't be arsed signing up with another bookie.

The bookies obviously reflect the polls. People use what information is available to them. The traditional form of education regarding the expected result of a referendum is polls in the media. It'd be strange indeed if the odds didn't closely match mainstream consensus.

It's rather less likely that the auld jake stood in Ladbrokes for eight hours a day is going to be able to provide the average punter with some secret tip regarding the independence referendum than with a horse race.

The bookies obviously reflect the polls. People use what information is available to them. The traditional form of education regarding the expected result of a referendum is polls in the media. It'd be strange indeed if the odds didn't closely match mainstream consensus.

It's rather less likely that the auld jake stood in Ladbrokes for eight hours a day is going to be able to provide the average punter with some secret tip regarding the independence referendum than with a horse race.

That doesn't really answer why the odds moved back the way quite dramatically, while a poll lead would be more important the nearer the vote is you don't just get to 4 months out and then deciide that's it game over.

The bookies will not really reflect the polls, they'll reflect their liabilities, I've no idea whether they are trying to get or put off small bets on YES to balance their books.

Edited by ayrmad

Just out of interest....

At the Ashbourne (Derbyshire) Highland gathering yesterday, 20th July attendees amongst the 8,000 strong crowd were asked to vote in a mock referendum.

Should Scotland become an independent country?

The Poll booth opened at 9.00am and closed at 5.00pm, with a steady line of people queuing up throughout the day to cast their vote.

The result was as follows.

YES - 22%

NO - 78 %

Just out of interest....

At the Ashbourne (Derbyshire) Highland gathering yesterday, 20th July attendees amongst the 8,000 strong crowd were asked to vote in a mock referendum.

Should Scotland become an independent country?

The Poll booth opened at 9.00am and closed at 5.00pm, with a steady line of people queuing up throughout the day to cast their vote.

The result was as follows.

YES - 22%

NO - 78 %

Derby votes NO to Scottish Independence. No way????

Cumbernauld mass canvas.

YES: 68

NO: 32

Do those in Cumbernauld have a vote in this referendum or is it as utterly meaningless as the vote in Ashbourne, Derbyshire?

Crowd fairly mixed including many visiting Scots and ex-pats but accept that the majority of attendees were English.

Does go a little against the view that we are all seen as nation of sponging freeloaders by our cousins down south though don't you think?

Crowd fairly mixed including many visiting Scots and ex-pats but accept that the majority of attendees were English.

Does go a little against the view that we are all seen as nation of sponging freeloaders by our cousins down south though don't you think?

No, my mate is English and he is forever giving me shit like yeah the English own you Jocks and loads of pish like that, I posted a dozen or so similar comments I'd read one after the other of on another thread here.

They genuinely couldn't give a feck either way they think it won't affect them.

Conservatives less popular than Gordon Brown's May 2010 Labour Party according to the latest Ashcroft poll.

And we're still told we'll get a Conservative Government if we vote No.

The only thing that's certain is that Scottish independence makes it more likely that the rest of the UK will get a Conservative government, given that 40 or so seats accounts for about half of Labour's predicted majority.

Conservatives less popular than Gordon Brown's May 2010 Labour Party according to the latest Ashcroft poll.

The only thing that's certain is that Scottish independence makes it more likely that the rest of the UK will get a Conservative government, given that 40 or so seats accounts for about half of Labour's predicted majority.

Don't wet yourself AdLib, your party will be obliterated in either scenario.

Unless the electoral system has suddenly been altered to a national popular vote, that's neither here nor there.

Additionally, it is very much the case that the UK will have a conservative government (small c) in either case, given that there isn't a single Labour principle that the current shadow cabinet wouldn't happily shove in front of a speeding train for marginal gains in the Home Counties.