Helicopter crashes into Clutha pub, Glasgow

The Master

Two officers and a civilian pilot according to BBC. Sounds harsh, but I just breathed a huge sigh of relief.

Woman on BBC News on the telly saying that they've not received any confirmations of fatalities yet. Though, she's not very good it has to be said.

Is it just me or do all of the eyewitness accounts seem to conflict? This Graeme chap seems to have heard a huge bang, yet Grace in the pub said they didn't hear anything.

I guess the folk watching the band, Esperenza, playing didn't notice at first. Luckily the roof took most of the impact, otherwise there could have been even more fatalities.

Eyewitness on BBC News saying that she didn't think it had crashed because there was no fire or explosion and that it might have just tried to land on the roof.

This is a repeat of an interview that was on earlier, around an hour ago at least. I think this girl was fresh out of the pub at the time.

Ah right, I see. Fair enough.

Two officers and a civilian pilot according to BBC. Sounds harsh, but I just breathed a huge sigh of relief.

It isn't really harsh. Looking at the wreckage and listening to eyewitness accounts, it was pretty much a given that the crew wouldn't have survived the crash....most people expected that.

Awful as it is, the thought of someone out enjoying a night out and dying in the perceived safety of a pub in such circumstances would have been utterly unthinkable.

In the crash investigation, the possibility will be that the actions of the crew (ie, bringing it down on a seemingly innocuous and flat-roofed building instead of a busy road, the apparent modicum of control in the landing preventing an explosion etc) prevented further fatalities and they'll be remembered as heroes.

It isn't really harsh. Looking at the wreckage and listening to eyewitness accounts, it was pretty much a given that the crew wouldn't have survived the crash....most people expected that.

Awful as it is, the thought of someone out enjoying a night out and dying in the perceived safety of a pub in such circumstances would have been utterly unthinkable.

In the crash investigation, the possibility will be that the actions of the crew (ie, bringing it down on a seemingly innocuous and flat-roofed building instead of a busy road, the apparent modicum of control in the landing preventing an explosion etc) prevented further fatalities and they'll be remembered as heroes.

If the crew had control they should have ditched in the water?

If they had any control over the landing they'd have tried to ditch it in the Clyde surely?

Unlikely to be an explosion as the interia crash controls would have operated the fuel shut off valves and Jet A1 is difficult to ignite (like diesel) unless atomised.

If the crew had control they should have ditched in the water?

If they had any control over the landing they'd have tried to ditch it in the Clyde surely?

Land a ton of metal into the water?

I'd take my chances on the roof.