Helicopter crashes into Clutha pub, Glasgow

The Master

Guest The Phoenix

He got a public funded honour guard, paid for by you and me.

I'd call that being treated like a hero.

You are right, it is standard practice, something I think is well out of order. Particularly in cases where the officer in question is under investigation because he might be responsible for killing a few people.

If it had been a police driver who crashed into a pub, he wouldn't get anywhere near the benefit of the doubt that this pilot has.

So, to try and clarify:

-I think it was likely pilot error but clearly we need the full investigation to find out.

-I don't think cops should automatically get taxpayer subsidised funerals unless they actually died heroically in the line of duty.

-Combine the last 2 points and I don't think this copper should have got the fancy funeral 'cos I have no idea whether he deserved it or not.

Now people can complain about me saying this and call me names etc but not a single person has managed to give any reason whatsoever why these three things aren't perfectly valid points.

He wasn't a copper.

I'm not complaining about you.

I'm not calling you names.

There's no need for me to respond giving valid reasons, I simply disagree with you.

-I think it was likely pilot error but clearly we need the full investigation to find out.

What kind of pilot error :rolleyes: "oh that pub looks like a helipad let me crash into it"?

Mechanical failure is far far more likely with many people leaning strongly towards tail rotor failure of some kind.

A mayday is mandatory. It gets the emergency response going quickly incase you survive or there are other people on the ground who get hurt from the crash and to inform the authorities what the giant bang in the middle of the city was so they are not putting people on alert for a bomb.

Given time, yes. But in this case there were more crucial things to attend to in the few available seconds.

Guest The Phoenix

Knowing something about the subject I'm discussing makes me a moron?

Are you sure you're from falkirk and not Airdrie?

The prosecution rests.

Maybe he was busy isolating the fuel, or trying to restart the engines, during the few seconds of plumeting to the ground? What would've been the point of a mayday when he wasn't out at sea and in the centre of a city? Why do you resent cops turning up to a colleague's funeral?

I don't resent cops turning up to a colleagues funeral.

I resent the taxpayer funding the outriders and honour guard.

I'd call that being treated like a hero.

You are right, it is standard practice, something I think is well out of order. Particularly in cases where the officer in question is under investigation because he might be responsible for killing a few people.

If it had been a police driver who crashed into a pub, he wouldn't get anywhere near the benefit of the doubt that this pilot has.

So, to try and clarify:

-I don't think cops should automatically get taxpayer subsidised funerals unless they actually died heroically in the line of duty.

-Combine the last 2 points and I don't think this copper should have got the fancy funeral 'cos I have no idea whether he deserved it or not.

Now people can complain about me saying this and call me names etc but not a single person has managed to give any reason whatsoever why these three things aren't perfectly valid points.

Nothing to do with the fact he is not a police officer but a civilian pilot,so that is a fact you missed you twat.Also a poster on here had a member of his wife's family sadly die in the incident so your stupid coments don't help.

He wasn't a copper.

I'm not complaining about you.

I'm not calling you names.

There's no need for me to respond giving valid reasons, I simply disagree with you.

There are plenty of people on this thread who are calling me names because they are too dumb to discuss the subject rationally. Surely you can see that?

Guest The Phoenix

There are plenty of people on this thread who are calling me names because they are too dumb to discuss the subject rationally. Surely you can see that?

Indeed, however I speak for myself not others.

I don't resent cops turning up to a colleagues funeral.

What was the extra cost? Do you think they put in for overtime for attending a colleague's funeral?

Nothing to do with the fact he is not a police officer but a civilian pilot,so that is a fact you missed you twat.Also a poster on here had a member of his wife's family sadly die in the incident so your stupid coments don't help.

So he was a civillian that got a taxpayer funded funeral? That further justifies my point.

AS for your ire: All I've done is say the guy didn't deserve a taxpayer funded funeral until we know what actually happened. Compare that to Nicola Sturgeon who turned up at his funeral as a publicity stunt.

What was the extra cost? Do you think they put in for overtime for attending a colleague's funeral?

I don't know what the extra cost was, just that there was one and there shouldn't have been.

However given the fact our police force costs so much to run, I'd put the cost well into the thousands, possibly more than the rest of the funeral, possibly more than the entire tax contribution of the average scot for a whole year.

Again, what mistake did he make and the facts to back it up please

If it wasn't a fault with the helicopter which is what I've seen people saying then it must be a mistake. I'm not having a go at the guy.

Admittedly, I should have added to that post that I was working on the basis that the lack of a mayday means that it wasn't a fault with the helicopter. Cool your jets.

So he was a civillian that got a taxpayer funded funeral? That further justifies my point.

AS for your ire: All I've done is say the guy didn't deserve a taxpayer funded funeral until we know what actually happened. Compare that to Nicola Sturgeon who turned up at his funeral as a publicity stunt.

You're a sad bitter, little man

It was hardly deliberate. The pilot didn't choose to nose dive a helicopter in to a packed pub. People make mistakes. This was just a particularly costly mistake.

We don't know.

It could have been medical, mechanical, sabotage, an attack and although it is massively unlikely, it could even have been deliberate.

We can however speculate based on the information reported.

Guest The Phoenix

We don't know.

It could have been medical, mechanical, sabotage, an attack and although it is massively unlikely, it could even have been deliberate.

We can however speculate based on the information reported.

Correct.

Correct plus more possibilities beside.

You can if you like, the rest of us will probably be content to wait for the outcome of the investigation.