Helicopter crashes into Clutha pub, Glasgow

The Master

I can't imagine much more than pilot error, or even pilot sabotage.

Do you know much about helicopters? Knowing next to nothing myself, I could imagine a tool left accidentally by an engineer shaking loose and jamming the works, a catastrophic electrical failure, or some freak localised climatic event. To early to make a judgement I would've thought.

Just heard on the news that the chopper did indeed fly over Dalkeith earlier on the night that it crashed. I heard it flying over my house and it sounded very loud as if it was quite low. I thought it was strange at the time as I don't think that I had ever heard one before in the dark without it having a big searchlight turned on, looking for someone.

I didn't think at the time that it was the same one that crashed but turns out it was.

Exactly as it says on the tin - the main rotor head was not turning at the point of impact.

The main and tail rotors are powered by the engines but are not connected directly to them - this means that should the engines fail then the rotors would continue to rotate - helicopters can be successfully 'auto-rotated' to the ground under those circumstances - the fact that the rotors had stopped initially pointed to a major breakdown in the transmission system since even without power they should have continued to rotate!

The report listed shows that the investigators were able to prove that the number two engine could rotate the rotor head but that damage suffered in the crash prevented the same check being carried out on the number one engine.

Am I right in understanding that the only two possible ways the rotors could be stopped like that are gear box failure and/or pilot instruction?

Do you know much about helicopters? Knowing next to nothing myself, I could imagine a tool left accidentally by an engineer shaking loose and jamming the works, a catastrophic electrical failure, or some freak localised climatic event. To early to make a judgement I would've thought.

No, no more than you do, but I would have thought something like a tool accidently left behind and jamming up the works would have left behind some evidence behind that would have been picked up by the investigators.

I sincerely hope it wasn't pilot error, and that some cause will be found - by all accounts the pilot was a first class bloke - as others have stated though, the chances are we'll never know for sure what caused this tragic event.

Am I right in understanding that the only two possible ways the rotors could be stopped like that are gear box failure and/or pilot instruction?

Until someone who knows responds, I'd be amazed if nothing else could cause it, faulty bearings for instance? Electronics?

P.S. The posters on the pilots' forum I linked above keep going on about the fuel, but I would have thought if it cut off the momentum of the blades would allow autorotating.

Edited by welshbairn

Just heard on the news that the chopper did indeed fly over Dalkeith earlier on the night that it crashed. I heard it flying over my house and it sounded very loud as if it was quite low. I thought it was strange at the time as I don't think that I had ever heard one before in the dark without it having a big searchlight turned on, looking for someone.

I didn't think at the time that it was the same one that crashed but turns out it was.

That's a strange one too. Why would this helicopter, based in Glasgow, and generally operating in the Glasgow area have flown to Dalkeith?

Until someone who knows responds, I'd be amazed if nothing else could cause it, faulty bearings for instance? Electronics?

Bearings and electronics would come under gear box failure I guess. Again, I'm no expert, this is what I've been told.

Was just checking with someone who knows what he's talking about that I understood correctly.

I know of an Italian aircraft that crashed due to a rotor brake fault but I don't know if the rotors actually stopped on that occasion and I guess that would have been instantly spotted and reported by the Air Crash Investigators had it occurred on this incident.

I would also surmise that to much Collective (basically 'pulling up' to make the aircraft climb) when there was no power to the rotor head could cause it to stop rotating ! That would need an initial fault or condition for him to have been doing that and we do have reports of the engine spluttering.

I imagine there are other circumstances possible.

Why is it whenever a chopper ditches that we / the media automatically assume that a mechanical / electrical fault is to blame yet if there's a car accident then 'careless driving' jumps to mind first?

There was probably a better way of wording that but it's a genuine question, hopefully not making me sound like I'm automatically blaming the pilot or whatever.

Is it just the case that (say) 90% of chopper accidents are down to mechanical failures whereas most car accidents are down to speeding / drink driver rather than a wheel falling off?

That's a strange one too. Why would this helicopter, based in Glasgow, and generally operating in the Glasgow area have flown to Dalkeith?

I have absolutely no idea what sort of jobs the police helicopter would have been tasked with but I was attached to the Search and Rescue at Prestwick for a short time and our Aircraft would routinely fly over to Edinburgh on jobs - mostly looking for folk who'd jumped off the Road Bridge it has to be said !

Why is it whenever a chopper ditches that we / the media automatically assume that a mechanical / electrical fault is to blame yet if there's a car accident then 'careless driving' jumps to mind first?

Pilots of commercial\military aircraft tend to be slightly better trained than the average car driver.

There was probably a better way of wording that but it's a genuine question, hopefully not making me sound like I'm automatically blaming the pilot or whatever.

Is it just the case that (say) 90% of chopper accidents are down to mechanical failures whereas most car accidents are down to speeding / drink driver rather than a wheel falling off?

It might be because most mechanical faults in a car occur at zero altitude.

I know of an Italian aircraft that crashed due to a rotor brake fault but I don't know if the rotors actually stopped on that occasion and I guess that would have been instantly spotted and reported by the Air Crash Investigators had it occurred on this incident.

I would also surmise that to much Collective (basically 'pulling up' to make the aircraft climb) when there was no power to the rotor head could cause it to stop rotating ! That would need an initial fault or condition for him to have been doing that and we do have reports of the engine spluttering.

I imagine there are other circumstances possible.

If (in ideal circumstances), power is lost to the rotor head and the pilot manages autorotation, what are the chances of a safe landing from 1000 feet say?

Any of the old police forces can call on the helicopter to aid them now it is one large force.

If (in ideal circumstances), power is lost to the rotor head and the pilot manages autorotation, what are the chances of a safe landing from 1000 feet say?

This is where you need Jock 'cause I'm not a pilot - you do need some forward momentum and height to autorotate IIRC and both are interlinked - less height requires more speed !

It was my understanding that although possible to strike the ground with the rotor head first in powered flight, it would be impossible to make the copter tumble from the sky in the reported fashion with or without power to the rotors. Happy if someone can explain this.

I have already stated that I find it hard to come up with a combination that would have had the aircraft tumbling as reported and today's report is worded in a way that make me think it wasn't tumbling at all :

"The helicopter did, however, remain approximately upright."
?