Only An Excuse 2013 .... 14

Ned Nederlander

I must have been even more drunk than I thought when I watched this.

I have it in my head as being quite funny, but everyone I've spoken to since thought it was really, really poor.

My Dad actually seemed to be offended at how bad it was :lol:

I can only really mind the Johann Lamont sketches tbf.

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lighten up you dreadful c***s. The fact literally every poster has a different sketch that made them laugh should probably highlight the point of the show, as its not just for football fans these days anyway. Get hammered and a sense of humour and youll enjoy it more.

If you're trying to get rid of the boring tag, maybe avoid sticking up for one of the most boring shows on telly. You boring c**t.

Lighten up you dreadful c***s. The fact literally every poster has a different sketch that made them laugh should probably highlight the point of the show, as its not just for football fans these days anyway. Get hammered and a sense of humour and youll enjoy it more.

If you're trying to get rid of the boring tag, maybe avoid sticking up for one of the most boring shows on telly. You boring c**t.

The Johann Lamont sketch was pretty good to be fair and the blond bird leaning over giving Frankie a view of her impressive chebs was an unexpected and, probably unintended highlight

The rest was a bit 'meh' to say the least, the Packie Bonner piece being neither accurate, relevant nor funny, needs an injection of fresh scriptwriting and use the guy from Dundee Utd who does the cracking impressions of Mourinho and others.

If not bin it

Really was pretty shit. I do make sure I see it every year because it's just one of them things but it's honestly getting beyond a joke how shit it is now. Somewhat of a metaphor for Scottish football in general. It's on IPlayer, so wondering if any English impressionists with an ounce of comedic material would be interested in ripping it off the same way Little Britain did Chewing the Fat.

A good review from BoredomGuy: the final kiss of death. RIP.

Little Britain was nowhere near as good as chewing the fat was. The first season was okay, after that it went downhill fast

Not saying it is, but they just sort of took their idea and made it English. The same should be done with Only an Excuse, but better.

Fairly terrible. Too many McAvennie sketches, and while there were a couple of decent ones, some were too overly long and got a bit cringeworthy. Mainly the Bonnar one and Countdown.

They should've went for a lot more Rangers based material after the year they've had, could've produced some comedy gold, although they seem reluctant to overly offend the Old Firm at all. A shame since they can occasionally do a good sketch about them.

The BBC need to freshen this up though if they want to keep it. Get Kiernan and Hemphill doing it - I could see Winston from Still Game doing a good Sir Alex Ferguson impression for example. They'd give us some better writing and decent comedy.

I was expecting a Gary O'Connor sketch at some point

I thought that was what the footballers on the dole bit was. Was expecting a guy in a fat suit wearing a hibs top saying "it was all for banter"

I think they stick to the same shit because they genuinely have little to no clue about Scottish football and what's happening in it.

It would be pretty easy to make a decent and funny show every year covering all of Scottish football. There is always plenty of material as proven by the sketches suggested on this thread. Instead they stick to the usual irrelevant pish. Who are they aiming this crap at?

If you walked into the OAE writers' office with that they'd worship you like a messiah.

P&B thread of ideas for OAE '15 as the season progresses, stick them in an email to the BBC writers and cross fingers that they'll use some.

P&B thread of ideas for OAE '15 as the season progresses, stick them in an email to the BBC writers and cross fingers that they'll use some.

Unless the sketch begins with "A Rangers fan...", "A Celtic fan..." or "Frank McAvennie gets stopped by a female news reporter..." they won't be interested, IMO.

Unless the sketch begins with "A Rangers fan...", "A Celtic fan..." or "Frank McAvennie gets stopped by a female news reporter..." they won't be interested, IMO.

This is the tragic fact of it all. I'm sure I'm not alone in having seen some stuff that has been submitted to the show and passed over, only to look in dismay at what was put in instead. The people I know that previously attempted to contribute have long since given up as it seems utterly pointless. It's a lazy, cheap option that the BBC seem happy to persist with for all eternity.

Sure taste and opinion varies on comedy, but the undeniable truth is that even the most basic attempt at putting together a programme by a random selection of Pie & Bovril regulars would be massively superior to what gets inflicted on the Scottish public every Hogmanay. I struggle to comprehend how anyone, never mind those with years of experience, could come up with such dross once a year.

Archived