Your Top 10 Albums of 2014

StewartyMac

Some albums I have listened to recently for the first time but which were released in previous years ...

01 Camera Obscura - Desire Lines

02 Sixto Rodriguez - Searching For Sugar Man (OST)

03 Tom Waits - Beautiful Maladies : The Island Years

04 This Many Boyfriends - This Many Boyfriends

05 The Original Ultraviolets - The Original Ultraviolets

06 East India Youth - Total Strife Forever

1 Snowbird - Moon

2 Silver Mt Zion - f**k Off Get Free We Pour Light On everything

3 Beck - Morning Phase

4 Ava Luna - Electric Balloon

5 Angel Olsen - Burn Your Fire For No Witness

6 The Men - Tomorrow's Hits

7 Augustines - Augustines

8 Lydia Loveless - Somewhere Else

9 Xiu Xiu - Angel Guts : Red Classroom

10 Skaters - Manhattan

2014 top 10 is filled up with Silver Mt Zion at #2. Only played it once and it sounds truly epic. Could possibly knock Snowbird off the top spot.

Ava Luna and Angel Olson swap places in the list.

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My 2014 albums so far, in no particular order:

Actress - Ghettoville

Pye Corner Audio - Black Mill Tapes Vol. 4

Beck - Morning Phase

St Vincent - St Vincent

Ekoplekz - Unfidelity

Omar-S - FHXE Compilation 1

patten - ESTOILE NAIANT

NOCHEXXX - Thrusters

Suzanne Vega - Tales from The Realm of the Queen of the Pentacles

Untold - Black Light Spiral

The Beck and St Vincent ones are probably winning thus far.

Really enjoying the War on Drugs record, Lost in the Dream. Reminds me a lot of the Phosphorescent album from last year, in that it's basically Springsteen's Nebraska ramped up a couple of notches. Far better, certainly, than Springsteen's contractual obligation of a record from this year.

Edit: got the new one by Mac DeMarco on the go at the moment too... very much from the Devendra Bernhart/King Tuff/Kurt Wile envelope, which is an envelope which takes quite a bit of opening. Will need several plays, but leaves me cold on first listen.

Top 10 of 2014

1 Beck - Morning Phase

2 Temples - Sun Structures

3 Boy & Bear - Harlequin Dream

4 Real Estate - Atlas

5 The New Mendicants -Into The Lime

6 The Family Rain - Under the Volcano

7 We Are Scientists - TV en Francais

7 albums in top 10 now. Decent year for music so far with Kasabian and The Horrors likely to feature too.

I've got the War on Drugs record on at the moment as well. Great stuff.

Only listened to a few albums so far this year. There'll be a lot more listened to over the next fortnight as I finish off my dissertation.

1. Thee Silver Mt. Zion Memorial Orchestra - f**k Off Get Free We Pour Light on Everything

2. Elbow - The Take Off and Landing of Everything

3. The War on Drugs - Lost in the Dream

51GuvBvKjeL._SS420_.jpg

This will almost certainly be my no.1 of 2014 because Black Lips are probably the only band out there now that I'm actually fanatical about.

I like the Stephen Malkmus LP as well, the man hasn't put out one bad record in his entire career.

I mainly buy obscure compilations these days so that's all I've got from 2014.

List of what I've listened to so far (Not in any order):

1. Phantogram - Voices

2. Bruce Springsteen - High Hopes

3. Rick Ross - Mastermind

4. Lydia Loveless - Somewhere Else

5. Gus G - I am the Fire

6. Enrique Iglesias - SEX AND LOVE

7. The War on Drugs - Lost in the Dream

The latest effort from Enrique Iglesias is average at best, not that I was expecting much. Stick him in front of a piano or an acoustic guitar and the music he'll make will be incredible. But all of these 'club bangers' are just too much, not great to listen to. You know you're in trouble if you have to feature Pitbull on 2 or 3 songs.
As for Lost in the Dream by The War on Drugs. A fantastic album with an incredible sound. I'm pretty hooked to this tbh.
I have several other albums still to listen to. Will likely report back in a few days to add to my list.

51GuvBvKjeL._SS420_.jpg

This will almost certainly be my no.1 of 2014 because Black Lips are probably the only band out there now that I'm actually fanatical about.

I like the Stephen Malkmus LP as well, the man hasn't put out one bad record in his entire career.

I mainly buy obscure compilations these days so that's all I've got from 2014.

I'm a big Black Lips fan too but Underneath the Rainbow isn't great. For what it's worth I reckon similar minded bands like Dead Ghosts and Cool Ghouls produced superior efforts last year:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dTnQEPBzgqY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7e6m719-_MY

Enjoying The Men's more polished sound, including a saxomophone solo, on Tomorrow's Hits. I saw them live on a wee stage and they looked quite at home there. I really wondered how much bigger they planned on getting. Releasing albums every six months - a la Guided By Voices is one way of doing that.

The War on Drugs is the standout record of the year so far though. Brilliant record.

If you like Blue album-era Weezer songs that are approximately 1 minute long and have the odd J Mascis-style solo thrown in you might dig Tony Molina's 'Dissed and Dismissed.'

Top 10 of 2014

1. Tony Molina - Dissed and Dismissed
  2. Criminal Hygiene - Withdrawn EP
  3. Stephen Malkmus & The Jicks - Wig Out At Jag Bags
  4. The Coathangers - Suck My Shirt
  5. Real Estate - Atlas
  6. Black Lips - Underneath The Rainbow
  7. VAGUESS - Simpler Times
  8. Atlantic Thrills - Atlantic Thrills

​1. Temples - Sun Structures

2. Elbow - The Take Off and Landing of Everything

3. The Horrors - Luminous

4. Bombay Bicycle Club - So Long, See You Tomorrow

5. Wild Beasts - Present Tense

6. The Family Rain - Under the Volcano

7. Metronomy - Love Letters

8. Foster the People - Supermodels

9. Beck - Morning Phase

10. September Girls - Cursing the Sea

New albums from The Horrors, Metronomy and Foster the People in at 3, 7 and 8 respectively. Liked The Horrors album on first listen and think it could be a grower. Wasn't particularly impressed with either Metronomy or Foster the People's albums, but there was a few good songs on each.

I'm checking out a few new albums this week.

Foster the People album got turned off after 3 songs as it was awful.

Also listened to Jimi Goodwin album but wasn't impressed.

Next on list is Metronomy album.

Foster the People's are a bit like Passion Pit in the sense that both bands' success absolutely bewilders me.

1. The War on Drugs - Lost in the Dream

2. Thee Silver Mt. Zion Memorial Orchestra - f**k Off Get Free We Pour Light on Everything

3. Elbow - The Take Off and Landing of Everything

4. Lyla Foy - Mirrors the Sky

5. Eternal Summers - The Drop Beneath

Lyla Foy and Eternal Summers make the cut. I'll have to give them a few more listens but both impressed me.

Lost in the Dream moves up to first as I can't stop listening to it, especially Under the Pressure.

Quite a few releases I've got my eye on this year: Architecture in Helsinki; Mikal Cronin; Death Cab for Cutie (a live album I think); Klaxons, and; the First Aid Kit.

List of what I've listened to so far (Not in any order):

1. Phantogram - Voices

2. Bruce Springsteen - High Hopes

3. Rick Ross - Mastermind

4. Lydia Loveless - Somewhere Else

5. Gus G - I am the Fire

6. Enrique Iglesias - SEX AND LOVE

7. The War on Drugs - Lost in the Dream

8. The Used - Imaginary Enemy

9. Johnny Cash - Out Among The Stars

10. Ghetts - Rebel With a Cause

Also, would just like to add that The Roots have a new single and have announced their new album for a 13th May release. It's going to be epic as usual. Will definitely be in my top 2 by the end of the year.

Lyla Foy and Eternal Summers make the cut. I'll have to give them a few more listens but both impressed me.

Lost in the Dream moves up to first as I can't stop listening to it, especially Under the Pressure.

Quite a few releases I've got my eye on this year: Architecture in Helsinki; Mikal Cronin; Death Cab for Cutie (a live album I think); Klaxons, and; the First Aid Kit.

Klaxons album is available on Spotify. I'm checking it out just now.

New albums from The Horrors, Metronomy and Foster the People in at 3, 7 and 8 respectively. Liked The Horrors album on first listen and think it could be a grower. Wasn't particularly impressed with either Metronomy or Foster the People's albums, but there was a few good songs on each.

Where on earth can you listen to the new Horrors record? Have I missed this completely?

Archived