The Economic Case for an Independent Scotland

HardyBamboo

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What this does indicate though, as I illustrated this week, is the idiocy of Blair Jenkins being an SNP puppet.

This would have been, given several board members of Yes were anti keeping the pound in a CU anyway, a perfect opportunity for Yes to have asserted itself and left the utter mess the SNP have got themselves into here as a party political issue.

Of course because Jenkins is an SNP poodle and has been parroting the currency union like his SNP masters for months, he's now tied to their sinking ship, and can't say "yeah well, we didn't like the idea anyway".

Oh dear.

Clear enough from Westminster then.

Time for Yes/SNP to provide an alternative - and quick.

If they don't and decide to peddle the 'they're bluffing/scaremongering route' for the next 7 months then I will conceed defeat.

If they don't and decide to peddle the 'they're bluffing/scaremongering route' for the next 7 months then I will conceed defeat.

Pretty much my thinking as well. If Yes don't come out swinging, then they are fucked.

Its.not an asset hence why anyone can use the pound if they want to. The BOE is an asset though and we have billions in it.

It is an asset, the Bank of England order money then release currency, they make a small amount on the production, then earn money on it while is circulation. While its in circulation it is stock, so it sits on a balance sheet as stock (an asset). When it finally comes back to be destroyed, its taken off stock.

So yes it is an asset on a balance sheet.

Which is why doing it this early is probably the right call for No, despite what posters were saying about playing their cards too early.

If they had done it in september they could ahve got through a fortnight with "they;re bluffing". 7 Months, not so much

Think the unionist frenzy over Osborne and the possibility of ruling out currency union with an independent Scotland seem to be ignoring the elephant in the room - England and the rUK.

How in any way shape or form does ending a currency union with Scotland benefit them?

Very good point. I'm not a expert on currency or financial issues but surely this would lead to a sizeable devaluing of the pound thus driving up interest rates and making theit deficit targets even harder to reach? Dare I say, reducing the personal wealth of the rich?

What % of nationwl wealth is held in Scotland, 12% or less or more?

It seems this has rattled the money loving, greedy, banker-diners down south and could be their prime fear of Scottish independence?

"Couldn't recommend" is not the same as "Ruling out" now is it?

I hope there is a journalist out there that can pin him down to be more specific. Is he ruling it out or not?

He ruled it out just after that line.

"Couldn't recommend" is not the same as "Ruling out" now is it?

I hope there is a journalist out there that can pin him down to be more specific. Is he ruling it out or not?

No, Yes have to go ahead on the assumption that there will be no currency union, the msm will plug that line relentlessly and it's no use Yes claiming it's a bluff for 7 months - "couldn't recommend" isn't the same as "ruling out" but will suffice for our practical purposes. It's plan B or sunk.

Completely agree, they've played a trump card here which will have resonance for all undecided voters.

The SNP need to have an alternative plan in place otherwise people simply won't vote for Independence. Expect the continuation of the bluff line and a defeat at the moment.

Advice is to reject currency union "as currently advocated" rather than in any shape or form. That isn't ruling it out in my world.

It doesn't matter how it was worded.

It will be reported far and wide as 'No currency union' and that's what matters to the general public who only read the headlines and let the media think for them.

Advice is to reject currency union "as currently advocated" rather than in any shape or form. That isn't ruling it out in my world.

Fine, and it might be a tactical move by Westminster, but Yes cannot hope to use that line with any success: They didn't explicitely rule it out, it'll be alright on the night.... nah, sorry, bluff or no, Yes Scotland have to go to plan B, Osborne wen't close enough to ruling it out to make it stick, politically.

We don't need any of this wouldacouldashoulda stuff now.

The Scottish government says that if Scotland becomes independent there will be a currency union and Scotland will share the pound.

People need to know – that is not going to happen.

That's what he said later, it's time for YES to up their game and come up with an alternative.

Archived