Which Junior Clubs Do You Think Wud Do Well In Sfl

Gary

1/ Oh right, you looked at the team I have on my profile, so obviously I don't understand that Junior football is different from all other football in this country simply by defining the difference between club and team. Well that's me told.:D

No, just around long enough to spot the latest trolling fud from the big kids forums coming in here looking for a bite - we seem to have had a lot of them of late. Run along!

And take Paulo Sergio back with you if you should pass by him heading this way, you'll recognise him as he'll be holding a Tommy Salter telescope.

SFL 3 is a stagnant league with teams in it that would struggle in the top Junior level. Annan stepped up from the SOS league with players in the team who had been Junior that Talbot wouldn't consider IMHO because they were not good enough, Talbot played the champions from the SOS league that Annan came from and humiliated them 8-1 in the Scottish 2nd round this season. Talbot played Stirling who got promoted to SFL 1 that season and were very unlucky not to get a draw, as they were at Hearts the supposed third side in Scotland, these are teams who should be miles ahead and weren't. Please, spare us the nonsense about a gulf, top Junior sides would be comfortable in SFL2.

Annan came up from the EOS, but a point well taken. A club is about more than on the field, but also what's going on off it, and the top Junior sides aren't reliant on council patronage to stay alive like many of their SFL2 & 3 equivalents in the "big kids" league.

Simplest answer to the naysayers was Airdrie United losing their captain to Bo'ness United a few years back because they could pay more and he felt offered a better challenge. Or Irvine Meadow refusing to put in a bid to take over Gretna's place because there was bugger all point traipsing across the map to play poorer sides to pitiful gates when they could go down the road to Auchinleck or up the road to Pollok and be guaranteed a more exciting match with a bumper crowd. SFL2 & 3 aren't fit for purpose, haven't been for years, and the sooner regionalisation and a pyramid system are in place, the better.

(By the way, if anyone wonders why I'm posting at this hour of night, I've been awakened by the birds in the back gardens tweeting away for the last half-hour (sorry, singing away, that made it read like they were on laptops or mobile phones) like it's broad day light, even though it's pitch black - SHUT UP YOU F**KING FEATHERY b*****dS!)

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If your wee diddy mob can get to the SPL, anything is possible for junior teams.

That will be the same wee diddy mob that has spent most of the past 15 years in the SPL? You would give you're right bollock to have your club achieve just half as much as what Dunfermline have in the past 10 years.

I really cannot see the appeal of playing East Stirling, Elgin, Berwick etc instead of Talbot, Medda, Pollok etc. The junior game is all about local rivalries. That would be gone in the seniors.

Clydebank were a Junior club that found themselves unwittingly in the Scottish Football League thanks to the idiot machinations of the Steedman brothers, and proved to do very well for themselves, especially remarkable considering a previous Clydebank senior club (which had no connection to the Kilbowie based Juniors - the one we all know and love being, ironically, a splinter from Duntocher Hibs) had fared so poorly and suggested no Senior side could hope to survive there so close to Glasgow.

The club that was the first to play in all three divisions since the 1970s league construction, three seasons in the Premier League, Davie Cooper, one of the first all seater stadiums for football in the UK. Not bad for a Junior side that had to pick itself up after a shotgun wedding and divorce - twice!

If Clydebank can do it, other Junior clubs could do it, and flourish.

(And not a bloody cheep out of the birds round the back - too tired after being up all night I guess)

That will be the same wee diddy mob that has spent most of the past 15 years in the SPL? You would give you're right bollock to have your club achieve just half as much as what Dunfermline have in the past 10 years.

I really, really wouldn't.

No, just around long enough to spot the latest trolling fud from the big kids forums coming in here looking for a bite - we seem to have had a lot of them of late. Run along!

And take Paulo Sergio back with you if you should pass by him heading this way, you'll recognise him as he'll be holding a Tommy Salter telescope.

Never trolled on any forum or ever want to start just putting my point across, not looking for bites just other peoples takes thats all, no need to be rude.

I post a lot in the Junior forum (North Region thread mostly) and regard the Junior forum as a bit of a chill out space away from the nonsence of the seniors and I spend a lot of time and money following my Junior team Inverness City and also visiting other Junior matches as a neutral. Last thing I want to do is get into some petty and abusive arguement with another Junior fan on this forum just because we have a different outlook. I will respect your opinion and I know from reading your other posts that you are much better than this.

Never trolled on any forum or ever want to start just putting my point across, not looking for bites just other peoples takes thats all, no need to be rude.

I post a lot in the Junior forum (North Region thread mostly) and regard the Junior forum as a bit of a chill out space away from the nonsence of the seniors and I spend a lot of time and money following my Junior team Inverness City and also visiting other Junior matches as a neutral. Last thing I want to do is get into some petty and abusive arguement with another Junior fan on this forum just because we have a different outlook. I will respect your opinion and I know from reading your other posts that you are much better than this.

Fair call, sorry about being a grump.

(And still the birds aren't singing. b*****ds)

Annan Athletic played in the East of Scotland League for almost 20 years before they joined SFL, they had a Reserve XI in the SOSFL. Standard of EOS is considerably higher than that of SOSFL where (e.g.) only Threave has ever reached even the Semi-Finals of the cup tournament competed by the 2 leagues, despite each getting 4 slots in the Quarter-Finals.

Vale of Leithen, whom you beat 3-1 (1-1 at HT), were your EOS League opponents.

It'd be like saying Auchinleck aren't that good, you're from the North Juniors.

If you don't know what you're talking about, don't talk.

Fair enough, but my point about some of their players is relevant, Vale played well against Talbot but were well beaten in the end.

Clydebank were a Junior club that found themselves unwittingly in the Scottish Football League thanks to the idiot machinations of the Steedman brothers, and proved to do very well for themselves, especially remarkable considering a previous Clydebank senior club (which had no connection to the Kilbowie based Juniors - the one we all know and love being, ironically, a splinter from Duntocher Hibs) had fared so poorly and suggested no Senior side could hope to survive there so close to Glasgow.

The club that was the first to play in all three divisions since the 1970s league construction, three seasons in the Premier League, Davie Cooper, one of the first all seater stadiums for football in the UK. Not bad for a Junior side that had to pick itself up after a shotgun wedding and divorce - twice!

If Clydebank can do it, other Junior clubs could do it, and flourish.

(And not a bloody cheep out of the birds round the back - too tired after being up all night I guess)

And above all that they had a smart kit, which is the most important thing.

Archived