Which Junior Clubs Do You Think Wud Do Well In Sfl

Gary

An 8 year old thread - is this a record?

No, that's a vinyl disc with a hole in the middle.

Fun to look back on though, who would say the same about Maryhill as SFL material now?

The three standouts for me as things currently stand would be Auchinleck Talbot, Irvine Meadow and Linlithgow Rose - and before anyone goes on about Auchinleck's population going against them, the same was said about current SPL promotion stick ons Ross County.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Where would I like to go (as opposed to who would be good enough)? ....St Andrews is a nice town and is far enough away to make a good day out; I've always fancied going to Rothes for some unknown reason.....and if they weren't up to it, Strathspey Thistle, as Grantown is a cracking wee place; I'd pick a team with a ridiculous name in a nice part of the world Wigtown and Bladnoch or St Cuthbert's Wanderers in the south.

GEEG, though, is spot-on about the costs of the senior game. We have to travel to Stranraer, Annan, Berwick, Elgin, Peterhead and Montrose twice this year...plus we've had cup ties at Dingwall, Elgin and Huntly. I don't know how the likes of Stranraer, in particular, do it.

Clubs in the Super Premier Leagues wouldn't look out of place in Divisions 2&3. But are out of their depth in Division1 over a league season. IMO.

Hate to burst some peoples bubbles with Junior clubs but a one off cup game is one thing where the players will raise their game for the biggest match in their history, but ask them to do it week in week out in the SFL most of these players will just not be able to perform to that level on a consistant basis.

Scenario - Take Auchinleck Talbot or Bo'ness Utd say with their current squads they entered the 3rd Division, quiet honestly they would not be far off which almost every new club that has entered at that level done, for example Inverness CT, Ross County, Gretna, Peterhead, Annan Athletic. First off they will start brightly maybe even win their first 3 or 4 games, but as the weeks go on the other teams begin to suss them out and they drop of the lead, eventually falling to mid table end of season.

Second, the manager does realise that some of his players are not up to the riguers of SFL life so brings in some of the better players from other Junior teams and also players with experience of playing at that 3rd or even 2nd Division level.

Third, the following season is much better and the former Junior team is now a team challenging for the promotion places only this time without many of the players that played for the club at Junior level.

Just because Junior teams or Highland League teams beat teams at that level doesn't mean they will week in week out. As I pointed out even a current SPL side Inverness CT a merged club from two of the bigger Highland League teams took time to adjust to that level. It is a big step up. Don't underestimated the lower SFL teams these managers and players at those clubs are there because they are either good enough or are being given a chance to prove themselves at that level instead of playing at a lower level.

Hate to burst some peoples bubbles with Junior clubs but a one off cup game is one thing where the players will raise their game for the biggest match in their history, but ask them to do it week in week out in the SFL most of these players will just not be able to perform to that level on a consistant basis.

Scenario - Take Auchinleck Talbot or Bo'ness Utd say with their current squads they entered the 3rd Division, quiet honestly they would not be far off which almost every new club that has entered at that level done, for example Inverness CT, Ross County, Gretna, Peterhead, Annan Athletic. First off they will start brightly maybe even win their first 3 or 4 games, but as the weeks go on the other teams begin to suss them out and they drop of the lead, eventually falling to mid table end of season.

Second, the manager does realise that some of his players are not up to the riguers of SFL life so brings in some of the better players from other Junior teams and also players with experience of playing at that 3rd or even 2nd Division level.

Third, the following season is much better and the former Junior team is now a team challenging for the promotion places only this time without many of the players that played for the club at Junior level.

Just because Junior teams or Highland League teams beat teams at that level doesn't mean they will week in week out. As I pointed out even a current SPL side Inverness CT a merged club from two of the bigger Highland League teams took time to adjust to that level. It is a big step up. Don't underestimated the lower SFL teams these managers and players at those clubs are there because they are either good enough or are being given a chance to prove themselves at that level instead of playing at a lower level.

You appear to be unable to differentiate between a football club and a football team - at least, where the Juniors are concerned.

Of course a Junior club wouldn't be able to survive in the "big boys" league using the exact same players! Did Inverness Caledonian Thistle use exclusively their two squadsworth of Highland League worthies when they joined the SFL? Did Annan Athletic, Elgin, Gretna, Peterhead, or Ross County? Did they f**k!

:rolleyes:

i doubt there are many at bo'ness that would need to move on for us to challenge in SFL3 considering quite a few of our players turned down offers from SFL clubs as we could offer more for example our goalie Scott Christie turned down an offer from St Mirren in the SPL!!

1/You appear to be unable to differentiate between a football club and a football team - at least, where the Juniors are concerned.

2/Of course a Junior club wouldn't be able to survive in the "big boys" league using the exact same players!

3/ Did Inverness Caledonian Thistle use exclusively their two squadsworth of Highland League worthies when they joined the SFL? Did Annan Athletic, Elgin, Gretna, Peterhead, or Ross County? Did they f**k!

:rolleyes:

1/ Oh right, you looked at the team I have on my profile, so obviously I don't understand that Junior football is different from all other football in this country simply by defining the difference between club and team. Well that's me told.:D

2/ This is not according to some of the posters on here, do you not believe the hype?

This was the angle on which I constructed my post around.

3/ Did I emply that that all those teams exclusively used players from the non leagues when they moved up. I think you are getting the wrong end of the stick here. If you want a list of all the Caledonian Thistle players from their first two seasons I have the complete list here, who played, which team they played for before joining, etc.

And strangely enough I may add that Caley Thistle made the mistake of using the same players that played in the Highland League to play in the SFL completely underestimating the job at hand and also they did not have a squad any bigger than any other team in the 3rd. The second season the club with now a new manager Steve Paterson cleared out a good number of those players replacing them with some of the best or most promising players from the other clubs in the Highland League such as Iain Stewart (Lossiemouth), Brian Thomson (Huntly), Davie Ross (Brora Rangers) and there's a few others, and with just one player from the Scottish League Mike Teasdale (Dundee) who had links with the region having played for Elgin City a couple of years before.

Did'nt say the junior clubs would dominate the leagues Dave. I said that they wouldn't look out of place.

Never said anything about dominating the leagues, just stressed the point that its would be a tough job going through the establishing process competing in the leagues in the first couple of seasons which clubs like Talbot and Bo'ness Utd would have to go through if they moved up. I think after a couple of seasons they would not look out of place. I also mentioned that it would not be fair on these clubs to expect them to deliver consistantly similar results as we have seen in one off cup matches as some posters on this forum seem to think going by previous posts on other threads brought up on the subject.

from a west point of view the only club who could step up at this moment in time is medda and that comes from a buffs fan.

I think there are teams that are almost ready to compete in the bottom league perhaps Meadow and Talbot, there are also teams not so far away in all round facillity and footballing terms who could also progress Linlithgow for example. There may be one or two others however the bottom league is where they would find themselves languishing (not nec bottom place) and they would not progress I M O until they refreshed their squads fully but hey isn't that the target?

PROGRESS !

SFL 3 is a stagnant league with teams in it that would struggle in the top Junior level. Annan stepped up from the SOS league with players in the team who had been Junior that Talbot wouldn't consider IMHO because they were not good enough, Talbot played the champions from the SOS league that Annan came from and humiliated them 8-1 in the Scottish 2nd round this season. Talbot played Stirling who got promoted to SFL 1 that season and were very unlucky not to get a draw, as they were at Hearts the supposed third side in Scotland, these are teams who should be miles ahead and weren't. Please, spare us the nonsense about a gulf, top Junior sides would be comfortable in SFL2.

SFL 3 is a stagnant league with teams in it that would struggle in the top Junior level. Annan stepped up from the SOS league with players in the team who had been Junior that Talbot wouldn't consider IMHO because they were not good enough, Talbot played the champions from the SOS league that Annan came from and humiliated them 8-1 in the Scottish 2nd round this season.

Annan Athletic played in the East of Scotland League for almost 20 years before they joined SFL, they had a Reserve XI in the SOSFL. Standard of EOS is considerably higher than that of SOSFL where (e.g.) only Threave has ever reached even the Semi-Finals of the cup tournament competed by the 2 leagues, despite each getting 4 slots in the Quarter-Finals.

Vale of Leithen, whom you beat 3-1 (1-1 at HT), were your EOS League opponents.

It'd be like saying Auchinleck aren't that good, you're from the North Juniors.

If you don't know what you're talking about, don't talk.

SFL 3 is a stagnant league with teams in it that would struggle in the top Junior level. Annan stepped up from the SOS league with players in the team who had been Junior that Talbot wouldn't consider IMHO because they were not good enough, Talbot played the champions from the SOS league that Annan came from and humiliated them 8-1 in the Scottish 2nd round this season. Talbot played Stirling who got promoted to SFL 1 that season and were very unlucky not to get a draw, as they were at Hearts the supposed third side in Scotland, these are teams who should be miles ahead and weren't. Please, spare us the nonsense about a gulf, top Junior sides would be comfortable in SFL2.

:huh:Are you for real, you're lucky that the Hearts reserves game didn't end up being a 5-0 rout.

Junior sides with there current teams would get relegated straight away from the SFL2, there is a reason why the biggest side a junior team has beat was Abroath, who would later get relegated that year, and that's with the Irvine team upping there game, over a long, drawn out season no junior side would finish higher than 10th unless the significantly improved there squad.

:huh:Are you for real, you're lucky that the Hearts reserves game didn't end up being a 5-0 rout.

Junior sides with there current teams would get relegated straight away from the SFL2, there is a reason why the biggest side a junior team has beat was Abroath, who would later get relegated that year, and that's with the Irvine team upping there game, over a long, drawn out season no junior side would finish higher than 10th unless the significantly improved there squad.

If your wee diddy mob can get to the SPL, anything is possible for junior teams.

Archived