Your Old Stadium

What was it like when they scored?

The game we were at was against Augsburg and although they came back from 2-1 down to win 4-2, they expected to win so wasn't as bonkers as I imagine it would be for a Champions League game, or a match with Schalke or Bayern. But there was still a deafening roar and a lot of chanting which was slightly different to hearing the home fans at most League One grounds banging a goal in :lol:

I'd been to Dortmund to watch Scotland back in 2003 and thought the ground was superb. I loved the experience of going on the terrace but if I were to go back I'd probably go in the seats and enjoy the spectacle of it as opposed to being in it.

The nostalgia is great but Muirton really was a tired old ground......the supermarket deal & that with Farmer McDiarmid when combined with the work deal the previous couple of years by Geoff Brown & Alex Totten laid the foundations of St Johnstone being a full time Club for the last 25years (they were part time from 85-89 I think).

People slag off McDiarmid but the first 2years where the Club averaged over 7,000 were amazing plus the football was great too.....Perth just seems to have fallen out of love with their team a bit.

I can remember going to Muirton park and there was an ice cream van inside the stadium selling juice, crisps etc. in the away end at a Celtic game. Can somebody please confirm this? I hope it's not some acid addled memory

I can remember going to Muirton park and there was an ice cream van inside the stadium selling juice, crisps etc. in the away end at a Celtic game. Can somebody please confirm this? I hope it's not some acid addled memory

Yeh....this was true.

EEP with terracing was magnificent. As a wee boy, I used to stand at the front of the terracing near to the cage at the halfway line. Even with a crowd of 4-5000, the place could look full and produce a superb atmosphere. I still dearly love the old place but, back then it was magnificent. With the slight curves behind each goal, I used to compare it to Wembley when I was 7 :lol:

Two videos of Firs Park. The second one shows it after Shire moved out - very sad. The ground has just been left to rot away which is a real shame as on the few occasions I went to see the Shire there, it was an enjoyable place to watch fitba'.

That last video is tragic. What a shame.

:)

What did your clubs' old stadium look like? What are your abiding memories of the old place? Are you (honestly) in a better position the way things are now? Or would you prefer to go back to the good old days?

It would also be interesting to see your memories about visiting the grounds that other fans mention too.

As for Rugby Park - here's some crackin' pictures of how it used to be...

vzc9cg.jpg

0,,10284~9228817,00.jpg

1544964657_bd658f6cd0_o.jpg

90sR%20Park.jpg

I have only fleeting memories of the old place, but we are most definitely better off now. Yes, the 'new' Rugby Park is far too big for our needs, and the leg-room is ridiculous in all stands but the Frank Beattie, but it's home.

When I first was taken to Rugby Park I stood under the old Johnnie Walker roof then when I started going myself I moved to just left of the half way line of the terracing and now sit in the same area.

Great seeing the other photos, particulalry the old ones of Dens and Easter Road.

I remember going to Easter Road in the early 80's and we had to enter the ground at the main terracing side then walk down all the steps and round to the enclosure under the stand. I reckon we had less than 50 supporters through that day as we were terrible that season under Clunie.

McDicken scored an equaliser with about 8 minutes to go and loads of the Hibee nutters all got up from their seats and started running round the back of the main stand to get at the Killie fans - we promptly left!! :):) :) :):)

Edited by paul wright scores

That last video is tragic. What a shame.

I saw East Stirlingshire v Raith and East Stirlingshire v Berwick games (both in Challenge Cup R1) at Firs Park in its closing years. Sad sight.

At one point v Raith the ball went into a clump of nettles to the right of the enclosure, and Raith's keeper (Ojeda? Gonzales?) had to be sent to recover it...

.. only he, with long sleeves and gloves, was equipped for the task.

Latterly the pitch seemed as much moss and weeds as it was grass.

Also the last Scottish League ground I recall where a man charged a 'supplement' for the stand.

Shawfield of course is still standing and open every weekend for the greyhounds. The bottom picture was after a game against Celtic in 1957. The wall at the front of the terracing collapsed after 7 minutes injuring dozens and killing one boy. The game was stopped temporarily and the players carried the injured spectators across the pitch for treatment. Remarkably the game restarted and Celtic won 6-3.

Shawfield_2.jpg

shaw.jpg

shaw2.jpg

29%20April%201986%20Clyde%20v%20Alloa%20

Going-to-Clydes-Shawfield-Stadium-in-theShawfield%20Wall%20Collapse.jpg

The bottom picture was after a game against Celtic in 1957. The wall at the front of the terracing collapsed after 7 minutes injuring dozens and killing one boy. The game was stopped temporarily and the players carried the injured spectators across the pitch for treatment. Remarkably the game restarted and Celtic won 6-3.

Way things were. Infrequently individuals would be injured, even killed at games - play went on. 1946 Burden Park disaster saw 33 killed and over 400 injured in crushing... Bodies placed along the pitchside, the sideline was re-laid in sawdust, and play restarted.

Different values and a country not long out of wartime.

Similar story with airshows.

One end of the ground was famous for the giant tote board.

3.jpg

Shawfield was also nearby to Roseberry Park, home of now defunct Shawfield Juniors (at the bottom of this pic). Roseberry hosted the Glasgow Schools cup finals after Shawfield Juniors went bust and there was talk about Clyde moving there after being evicted from Shawfield.

shawfield-clyde+(1).jpg

The terracing has fallen into a state of disrepair and doesn't have a health and safety certificate.

GoneToTheDogs.jpg

GoneToTheDogs2.jpg

Shawfield%202.jpg

Shawfield%204.jpg

Shawfield was right across the road from Richmond Park, at the top of this photo. You can see the pond, which is home to a large number of swans. In a match against Hearts in the 60's, a swan flew over and landed behind the goals, then made it's way onto the park, and refused to move. The referee had to halt the game until it flew away.

Shawfield%20Aerial%20View%20Modern.jpg

p334.jpg

I was born 5 years after we left Shawfield and I've never set foot inside the stadium. I've started doing quite a lot of research into the club in the past 18 months and I'm planning on going one night in the summer when the greyhounds are on.

Way things were. Infrequently individuals would be injured, even killed at games - play went on. 1946 Burden Park disaster saw 33 killed and over 400 injured in crushing... Bodies placed along the pitchside, the sideline was re-laid in sawdust, and play restarted.

Different values and a country not long out of wartime.

Similar story with airshows.

Even in 1985 at Heysel......incredible looking back that the game was played. Platini even celebrated his winning goal!

Admittedly they feared a further riot had the game not been played.

One end of the ground was famous for the giant tote board.

3.jpg

Shawfield was also nearby to Roseberry Park, home of now defunct Shawfield Juniors (at the bottom of this pic). Roseberry hosted the Glasgow Schools cup finals after Shawfield Juniors went bust and there was talk about Clyde moving there after being evicted from Shawfield.

shawfield-clyde+(1).jpg

The terracing has fallen into a state of disrepair and doesn't have a health and safety certificate.

GoneToTheDogs.jpg

GoneToTheDogs2.jpg

Shawfield%202.jpg

Shawfield%204.jpg

Shawfield was right across the road from Richmond Park, at the top of this photo. You can see the pond, which is home to a large number of swans. In a match against Hearts in the 60's, a swan flew over and landed behind the goals, then made it's way onto the park, and refused to move. The referee had to halt the game until it flew away.

Shawfield%20Aerial%20View%20Modern.jpg

p334.jpg

I was born 5 years after we left Shawfield and I've never set foot inside the stadium. I've started doing quite a lot of research into the club in the past 18 months and I'm planning on going one night in the summer when the greyhounds are on.

I remember my dad telling me he played at Shawfield......not sure if it was for Clyde on trial or Scotland Juniors.

Must ask him about that! :)

Even in 1985 at Heysel......incredible looking back that the game was played. Platini even celebrated his winning goal!

Admittedly they feared a further riot had the game not been played.

There are even cases of player deaths but games continuing... On 17th August 1937 there was an East of Scotland Cup Semi-Final in progress between Leith and Duns at Old Meadowbank. Duns goalkeeper had a heart attack on the pitch during play. He got taken off the field, into an ambulance... and the game continued. No substitutes in these days, of course... so Duns placed an outfielder in goal and played with 10 men. Conceded thrice and lost the tie. This seemingly wasn't seen as particularly untoward.

1937081701.jpg

Edited by HibeeJibee

:lol:

True....but one thing I didn't miss was the 2nd half of the 2012 Scottish Cup Final......

Did you get that refund for your season ticket btw?! ;):ph34r:

I did sent them a e-mail asking for a refund a few days after the final. I said in the e-mail i would return the season ticket personally along with my crabbies flag too. But they wouldn't give me the refund for the season ticket, so i was stuck with it and wasted £400 for a season ticket card i didn't really want at the time sob.png

Edited by Eoin Doyle

There are even cases of player deaths but games continuing... On 17th August 1937 there was an East of Scotland Cup Semi-Final in progress between Leith and Duns at Old Meadowbank. Duns goalkeeper had a heart attack on the pitch during play. He got taken off the field, into an ambulance... and the game continued. No substitutes in these days, of course... so Duns placed an outfielder in goal and played with 10 men. Conceded thrice and lost the tie. This seemingly wasn't seen as particularly untoward.

1937081701.jpg

Formula 1 is another.....especially up til the 70's where safety was an afterthought.

1937081701.jpg

Loving your posts in this thread mate

What a thread, so many memories, I plan to add some personal stories.

First, Boghead with Thistle a few times, many a battle as fans changed ends at half time, probably the greatest day ever for me as a Jags fan when we beat Dumbarton int he Scottish Cup quarter final 1-0 80ish. Second half we were packed into the smaller end and when we scored it went nuts with surges etc. Singing and atmosphere was amazing.

I know it's not related to stadiums but here's another few old pictures related to Dundee that some may like.

Our Boys and East End merged in 1893 to form Dundee FC, here's Our Boys in 1886:

our-boys-1880-400.jpg

Here's a picture of the very first Dundee FC team before their very first game against Rangers at Craigie Park:

1893_Dundee_team.jpg

The day we won the league at Muirton in 1962:

3fans%2B62.jpg

And again:

1fans%2B62.jpg

Match action:

IBE422_big_alan_cousin.jpg