The New Stadiums Thread

jamamafegan

It is not "also" our stadium, it is our stadium, the IFA rent it for Internationals.

Sadly, we rarely fill it.

Yet Linfield are moving into what looks like a much bigger stadium? Does look smart mind.

I believe Landsdowne Road's anomaly came about because of listed buildings at one end.

I actually think it was down to locals complaining their houses wouldn't get enough sunlight if a second tier was added to the North Stand.

This is to be a joint stadium for York City and the local rugby team.

comm_stad_external.jpg

I actually think it was down to locals complaining their houses wouldn't get enough sunlight if a second tier was added to the North Stand.

My pal in Dublin who attends ALL Ireland home games told me that it was a long protracted battle but the fact they were listed Georgian buildings meant that the stadium had to be designed that way.

My pal in Dublin who attends ALL Ireland home games told me that it was a long protracted battle but the fact they were listed Georgian buildings meant that the stadium had to be designed that way.

He'll know more about it than I do, just I seem to remember reading somewhere about how people complained about the lack of sunlight they would get.

That happened when they built the north stand at Windsor in 1980'something. Apparently it caused problems with sunlight, and also affected the chimneys in local houses.

Just to change the subject slightly, what area is Windsor Park in? I will be visiting Belfast in the summer for the first time, fancy nipping along to the stadium for a look. Like some of the others on here I am also a bit of a geek when it comes to stadiums. :lol:

It is in south Belfast, just off the Lisburn road, and is about a fifteen minute walk from the city centre. PM me and I'll try and sort out something for you (I also have the stadium geek gene), although I think the work will have started by then. I'll find out more for you. Could also try and arrange a few other stadia if you fancy?

I also love football stadiums.

My dad used to take me in to see any grounds in the area whenever we were down south when I was a child, I've been inside the following grounds simply as a fan and not to see a game - as a child in the 90s it was far easier to get into grounds for a look about than I assume it is these days:

I've gone along to a few grounds on non-match days to see if I could have a look around, and there is usually one gate left open somewhere when you can wander in. As long as you're not stupid about it, most clubs tend not to bother with you walking in, standing at the side or sitting in one of the seats.

Best one was a few years ago when Scotland played Spain at Levante's ground - I wandered along to the Mestalla (Valencia's ground) the day before the game to see if I could get in, wandered in an open gate no problem, and there were quite a few tourists doing the same, all just sitting in the sunshine inside the ground taking in the view. A couple of club officials wandered past and never batted an eyelid.

Restores your faith in modern football, a little bit.

• 3 weeks later...

Those pictures of Windsor Park are really good, it's interesting to see what it must have looked like in the days when rampant bigotry and sectarianism was widely accepted in Northern Ireland football grounds.

I believe that first picture was taken as long ago as last Thursday.

Edited by Gaz

Apparently they're planning to do up the Anfield Road end as well, which might fix what is possibly the worst away end view in Britain.

Yes that's the plan. The back 10 rows or so of it are pish but the rest of it is ok. Newcastle up in the gods is pretty awful.