People who have changed from undecided/no to yes

conboyhibs

I'm surprised you can sit at the computer without a backbone.

FFS min, it's the 21st century, computer technology is now such, that even bucket dwellers can use them. :lol:

• Replies 658
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My parents have been diehard independence supporters for as long as I can remember. My brother and sister have also always been in favour of it - my brother even spent some of this year handing out fliers for Yes. My mum went one better and took on a second job on Saturdays and Sundays around the same time and started donating all of her wages to the Yes campaign (except for buying a few pairs of shoes for herself of course, silly mum).

My dad has even been flirting with getting a giant "YES" tattooed on his head, but my mum wouldn't let him so he's only got a big "Y" on there for now as a compromise. They both said that if there isn't a Yes vote they'll give up trying and pack it in because it would break their heart so much that life wouldn't be worth living anymore.

Yet I went round for dinner the other night and they all told me that Darling's argument about the currency had them convinced. They've thrown away all the Yes leaflets and have come round to No. After we finished dessert we all stared at each other for a moment then spontaneously started banging the table with our spoons and enthusiastically chanting "UK - OK - UK - OK" until we passed out from exhaustion. I couldn't believe it to be honest, amazing.

I'm sure that sounded funny in your head.

You're clearly trying to make a point, and failing.

Lots of new Yes car stickers on show in Stirling and there's unconfirmed reports of at least 2 window stickers on order.

Anyone got the latest figures on Facebook likes ?

Also anyone noticed the Great British Bake Off just happens to be on just now.

Coincidence in the timing?

What's your plans for the weekend H_B? Out with the lads tonight? A date perhaps?

I'd like to know.

What's your plans for the weekend H_B? Out with the lads tonight? A date perhaps?

I'd like to know.

I've already told you... Thanks for the offer and I'm flattered but you aren't my type.

Please stop asking... Its getting embarrassing

I've already told you... Thanks for the offer and I'm flattered but you aren't my type.

Please stop asking... Its getting embarrassing

I'm genuinely interested. I feel like we're brethren on a certain level. We may be in opposing armies, but what's to stop us having our own Christmas Day football match in no man's land.

So, what are your plans this weekend?

I'm genuinely interested. I feel like we're brethren on a certain level. We may be in opposing armies, but what's to stop us having our own Christmas Day football match in no man's land.

So, what are your plans this weekend?

Watching Dundee beat Kilmarnock (hopefully).

;)

English mate, uncle who was 100 percent no now a maybe and another one of my Ibrox supporting former Naw friends is leaning towards YES more all in last day!

Butbutbut the pols say differently.

Think the pol that put Labour ahead of the Tories gave the game away.

A wee bit o jiggerypockery.

Don't trust anything that can easily be weighted in favour of the establishment, by the establishment.

Butbutbut the pols say differently.

Think the pol that put Labour ahead of the Tories gave the game away.

A wee bit o jiggerypockery.

Don't trust anything that can easily be weighted in favour of the establishment, by the establishment.

If everybody on YES gets there finger out and gets a few people each on board then well have a better chance. People that are soft NOs are easy, the excuse or reason they give can usually be overcome no problem.

People that hate Salmond can be worked on but they take a bit longer and then there's people who are sensible but pretty strong NO and your best just saying a few things to them to make them curious about it and then leave them be and hope they come round.

Then there's the ones who are just absolutely set in their ways and don't want to see how things could maybe change for the better like most on here, the loyalists like RedRob72 who's FOOTBALL CLUB ( :lol: :lol: :lol: ) determines his vote and obviously the British Nationalists like H_B, absolute waste of time trying to change their ways.

From what I see, people seem obsessed with saying that "we never voted for a Tory government" and BT love to say that I never voted for Salmond etc. Thing is, this isn't down to individual neighbours with different political views, it's a whole region of the UK with an overall social view which largely differs to the majority elsewhere (which has a huge influence on the outcome of general elections).

This difference doesn't just lie with the evil Tories though imo. It seems to be the general UK voter base which seems content with a continuing polarised class / 'privilege controlled' system but these folk will happily vote Labour if the Tories become unpopular and then switch back when Labour screw up again. It essentially comes down to the whole 'fairer Scottish society' issue and although Scots vote for various different parties, the majority hate the idea of this class based system (plus a considerable chunk of voters don't even look at any manifesto).

I keep remembering a few English folk at my work surprised that "lots of clever people" go to the football here rather than Down South where it's largely a working man's sport. Opposite with golf here where even Torry has a golf course but golf is a middle class thing down there. Other examples could follow.

PS. I know I could have made a better job of putting this together but I'm knackered and can't be arsed revising this after midnight nor deleting the whole thing after writing it. Hopefully a semi-coherent point comes across.

I hadn't really read anything other than the odd wee leaflet and was likely to vote yes from peer pressure and family ties to the OO. Over the last few weeks, I've got a bit more engaged with it, as it's been discussed more in the social circle I'm in. Although there are a lot of issues that can be debated to which neither side can guarantee to be right, I would point to the one fundamental principle that the decisions made for Scotland, should be made by the people living and working in Scotland, for the benefit of Scotland. Giving that even the UK PM has accepted that Scotland could be a successful independent Country, it really should be a no brainer.

I will be voting yes and would advice anyone, who cannot decide based on the rhetoric from either camp, to just answer the question asked - bearing in mind no-one appears to be saying Scotland would fail disastrously - and give the only correct answer - YES.

I have recently started leaning toward Yes after being on the fence since the start, though as I mentioned in the general Scottish Independence thread, this has nothing to do with being persuaded by the campaign or talked round by others. It's all to do with recent geopolitical developments and my desire to distance ourselves from not only Westminster but also the USA, which I see as a political and economic disaster of a country. The independence referendum just happens to be a conveniently-timed possible route out of our 'special relationship'.

In my experience from talking to others socially and at work etc, the Yes/No divide seems generally influenced by age, with the older generations more No and those my age (35) and younger more Yes. As Lichtie said above, many fence-sitters are easy to convert to Yes, and it's more likely that younger people more influenced by peer pressure will be persuaded in this way. A typical example of this is a mate of mine who posted a status on Facebook a few weeks ago saying he was undecided and he wanted those from both sides to try to convince him either way. This was met by 95% Yes voters with much flag-waving and posting of Braveheart memes, and a few links to Yes campaign sites. The guy was literally converted on the spot and now regularly posts these things himself.

Personally I would prefer to disassociate myself from this type of stuff, as It dumbs down as issue which really requires at least a basic grasp of politics to make an informed choice on. I also have no time for the "if you don't vote Yes you're an idiot" brigade, a few of which can be found on here. At the end of the day it's a blind leap of faith which I personally have started to think is worth taking, among other things to avoid spiralling inequality and all of the social issues which will come with it. Look across the pond for a sneak preview. Others are unwilling to take the gamble and fair enough IMO, the older generations in particular may generally have more stability and are happy with the status quo.

What do you think it is with the over 65s that makes the majority of vote No? Is it a greater sense of togetherness from themselves or parents involved in WWII, simply because pension insecurity is a big deal to them right now or just because, well, they're old and many object to change with anything?

It would be a sickening thought for Yes voters to think that the referendum was massively swung by those that would have seen the least of an iScotland whilst the younger generations were generally all for growing up in a fairer state which they could shape. That's democracy though.

Archived