Malaysia Airlines flight MH370

Some Aussie geezer on Channel 4 news tonight saying that even if the wreckage of the plane is found and the black box recovered, the cockpit voice recorder only records the last 30 minutes of any conservation with the pilots.. If the plane flew on for several hours before it crashed, with the transponder turned off, no one will ever know what happened in the cockpit and why the plane changed course.

Kind of begs the question as to why all aircraft aren't fitted with some kind of external tracking device which would continually transmit info as to its direction and position.

Some Aussie geezer on Channel 4 news tonight saying that even if the wreckage of the plane is found and the black box recovered, the cockpit voice recorder only records the last 30 minutes of any conservation with the pilots.. If the plane flew on for several hours before it crashed, with the transponder turned off, no one will ever know what happened in the cockpit and why the plane changed course.

Kind of begs the question as to why all aircraft aren't fitted with some kind of external tracking device which would continually transmit info as to its direction and position.

Some expert on Newsnight I think said the North Atlantic flights all have to have continual tracking, like most lorries and company vans do now, and that it was time for the rest of the world to follow suit. It's not complicated, probably just expensive.

Next up for your missus, The Poseidon Adventure.

That would freak her out.

Having said that, the most reasonable outcome from all of this is that everyone is shark food. But not one of any of the "experts" on any channel has come on and said "this plane has crashed and everyone is dead"

News channles have become more "entertainment" than ever, the creepy music sky plays over their coverage of this is ridiculous.

Cnuts :(

I've watched loads of Air Crash Investigation documentaries and read a lot about this Malaysian plane and it's one thing that has always bothered me.

Why would you spend between 250-350 million dollars on a Boeing 777 and only get a half an hour cassette to put in the recorder?

My crappy android phone has got a better memory than the cockpit voice recorder and it cost about a 100 quid.

I've watched loads of Air Crash Investigation documentaries and read a lot about this Malaysian plane and it's one thing that has always bothered me.

Why would you spend between 250-350 million dollars on a Boeing 777 and only get a half an hour cassette to put in the recorder?

My crappy android phone has got a better memory than the cockpit voice recorder and it cost about a 100 quid.

But can it fly?

It might just be as simple as " that was the technology at the time " when it was designed and it's never been changed.... ? I'm an engineer and I worked with a guy ( about 15 years ago ) who had worked on military aircraft - he said that a lot of the flight details were loaded via an old floppy disc drive - even although that was practically obsolete ( back in 2000 ) that was what they used as that was what had always been.... I don't imagine they change any parts on a aircraft unless they find it absolutely necessary..... Maybe simple as that ?

It's a bit like the computers they send to Mars. Because they have to work 100% of the time in very extreme conditions, with nobody to fix them if they crash, they have to be very basic technology, not far up the scale from clockwork. Your android phone is more powerful than the computer on Mars Curiosity.

That would still be useful though would it not !?

If the pilots were still concious then surely they'd be saying something in that half hour like "Where the fluck at we ?" or "Is that a frying saucer ?"

If a loss of cabin pressure has rendered them unconcious then the complete silence would be a tell tale sign !?

That would still be useful though would it not !?

If the pilots were still concious then surely they'd be saying something in that half hour like "Where the fluck at we ?" or "Is that a frying saucer ?"

If a loss of cabin pressure has rendered them unconcious then the complete silence would be a tell tale sign !?

If they ever find the recorder all they will hear is BANZI.

I dont think thats correct , I think he was referring to another recorder in the cockpit which records on a loop and not the black box.

Though if I was the pilot and had a few seconds before crashing Id shout into the black box.... OMG..FLYING CATS??!!!

I dont think thats correct , I think he was referring to another recorder in the cockpit which records on a loop and not the black box. Though if I was the pilot and had a few seconds before crashing Id shout into the black box.... OMG..FLYING CATS??!!!

For the CVR, its legal minimum under FAA law for thirty minutes. The requirements in Asia could be more or less, no idea. The 'black box' is just a cultural reference. In fact there are thousands of individual 'black boxes' on a modern aircraft all doing a variety of different functions and most have nothing to do with recording data but to ensure the fly by wire systems operate and included many redunant systems.

Chances are, even with 30 minutes, it should assist a great deal in solving the issue even if there are no voices recorded (obviously suggesting that the pilots would have been dead/unconcious) but the recording of the instrumation and engine noises would give a good idea along with the big explosion and splash as it hits the water.

Why would the pilots be saying things like "where the fluck are we?" and "is that a frying saucer?" there Malaysian, not Chinese?

For the CVR, its legal minimum under FAA law for thirty minutes. The requirements in Asia could be more or less, no idea. The 'black box' is just a cultural reference. In fact there are thousands of individual 'black boxes' on a modern aircraft all doing a variety of different functions and most have nothing to do with recording data but to ensure the fly by wire systems operate and included many redunant systems.

Chances are, even with 30 minutes, it should assist a great deal in solving the issue even if there are no voices recorded (obviously suggesting that the pilots would have been dead/unconcious) but the recording of the instrumation and engine noises would give a good idea along with the big explosion and splash as it hits the water.

Why would the pilots be saying things like "where the fluck are we?" and "is that a frying saucer?" there Malaysian, not Chinese?

why would they say it if theyre Chinese?