Twin Peaks

yoda

11 hours ago, Musketeer Gripweed said:

Even though I enjoyed it, I think, you've got to wonder who on earth sanctioned that for television. It was totally self indulgent nonsense. Some brilliant things in it, it has to be said, but I don't think I would ever want to watch it again.

Yeah, while it did it actually serve a purpose, the 25 minutes or so it took to get from the Trinity footage to the Giant could easily have been distilled into six or seven minutes without losing any of the narrative which came from it. Though going through the footage more quickly would have significantly changed the atmosphere of it, which was always going to be Lynch's primary concern. I suppose this is the kind of thing that Showtime just had to accept as it was a choice between allowing Lynch to be Lynch unrestrained or not having Twin Peaks at all.

While watching that part of the episode I genuinely did find myself getting bored but thinking back to it I'm appreciating it more and more.

Have to wait and see how it plays out, but while it's interesting to see the idea that Trinity opened up a door from the Black Lodge and allowed this evil in (you could possibly argue that links back to Albert's comment in S2 that "maybe that's all Bob is, the evil that men do", that he's just the manifestation of man-made evil rather than the cause) - I'm not sure if it'll add anything to know where Bob and the rest from the Lodges originally come from. I fear having an answer to that rather than it forever remaining a mystery might lessen the intrigue, but I'm really just nitpicking here and there's not much point trying to second guess where Lynch and Frost are going with this.

The 1956 flashback though, that was utterly brilliant and terrifying television. The slow motion of the screams when they were surrounding the car in particular was chilling.

On 29/06/2017 at 10:55, Dunning1874 said:

Yeah, while it did it actually serve a purpose, the 25 minutes or so it took to get from the Trinity footage to the Giant could easily have been distilled into six or seven minutes without losing any of the narrative which came from it. Though going through the footage more quickly would have significantly changed the atmosphere of it, which was always going to be Lynch's primary concern. I suppose this is the kind of thing that Showtime just had to accept as it was a choice between allowing Lynch to be Lynch unrestrained or not having Twin Peaks at all.

While watching that part of the episode I genuinely did find myself getting bored but thinking back to it I'm appreciating it more and more.

Reveal hidden contents

Have to wait and see how it plays out, but while it's interesting to see the idea that Trinity opened up a door from the Black Lodge and allowed this evil in (you could possibly argue that links back to Albert's comment in S2 that "maybe that's all Bob is, the evil that men do", that he's just the manifestation of man-made evil rather than the cause) - I'm not sure if it'll add anything to know where Bob and the rest from the Lodges originally come from. I fear having an answer to that rather than it forever remaining a mystery might lessen the intrigue, but I'm really just nitpicking here and there's not much point trying to second guess where Lynch and Frost are going with this.

The 1956 flashback though, that was utterly brilliant and terrifying television. The slow motion of the screams when they were surrounding the car in particular was chilling.

There is a monologue at the end of Frost's Secret History book that goes into Lodge history, so to speak-

Bill Hastings' blog, for anyone who fancies a swatch: http://thesearchforthezone.com/
Ties the series to real-world theories about parallel universes and inter-dimensional travel.

Love when shows do this. They've got it looking proper like an old website too - bang on.

Another episode that flew by. The scenes with Bobby were pretty emotional. Some real character development there.

On 11/07/2017 at 01:28, yoda said:

That blog is quite cool. 

Enjoyed that episode. Some things answered but more questions raised. A nice Tim Roth cameo as well.

This. Precisely.  

The scenes in the Twin Peaks police station with Andy and Lucy were strangely joyous.  The interview with William Hastings was disturbing.  

I feel like I should pay more attention to the lyrics of the songs at the end.  I'm sure they are more significant than mood music that David Lynch likes.

What are we thinking about the two junkies at the end? Surely got to tie in to the Twin Peaks drug trade arc with Richard Horne / Red / Becky Johnson.  Speaking of Becky, been waiting to see more of her since her introduction.  Hopefully we get to see oor Shelly dish out some payback for her daughter getting addicted to smack.

Fairly conventional episode to follow the surreal magnificence of Ep8. Disappointingly expositional in parts - although it brought a few threads together, and tied the Buckhorn investigation into the Twin Peaks stuff, it felt like much of the episode was devoted to recapping what we already knew. Loving Matthew Lillard's performance as William Hastings, but I was hoping for full scale Bob-style possession by a Lodge spirit rather than the slightly anti-climactic reveal that he's just a hapless paranormal enthusiast back from a day trip to the Black Lodge. Not enough of Lynch's unsettling voodoo magic for me, though I enjoyed the tremendously uncomfortable smoking scene with Gordon, Diane and Tammy, and Albert had a few choice lines. Have a feeling this is the calm before the storm though.

On ‎10‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 12:28, Nizzy said:

Bill Hastings' blog, for anyone who fancies a swatch: http://thesearchforthezone.com/

Ties the series to real-world theories about parallel universes and inter-dimensional travel.

Don't know if anyone's noticed but the no. of Visitors is decreasing, theory going about that it will reach Zero in final episode.

Just had a bairn so fallen behind, halfway through 8 and not seen 9. I like the atomic bomb plotline/ explanation. It's strangely exciting to see a Hugh Everett reference too - been Eels fans as long as we've been Lynch fans.
Is Twin Peaks arguably sci fi now?

Found it to be quite an underwhelming episode. I guess they get a free pass on some filler because we get to see some old faces (Dr. Jacoby's rants amuse me). But there were some real highlights: Richard Horne being an awful c**t, as the stand out.

Still, they've got me anticipating the next episode as soon as the last one ends.