Twin Peaks

yoda

To think I was apprehensive about the idea of bringing Twin Peaks back, but f**k me season 3 has been glorious. It's been way better than I'd have thought possible, it's incredible that David Lynch has lost none of his edge at all.

Episode 12 was a bit of a come-down in comparison to 11, but even TP at its worst is still pretty good.

Spoiler

With possible exception to the jaw-dropping episode 8, the Sarah Palmer scenes have probably freaked me out the most.

The scene with her calmly watching the brutal wildlife documentary in episode 1, and then her behaviour at the store and Hawk's visit. Fucking chilling.

5 hours ago, sonsism said:

The more this series goes on the more I think we could see a potential 4th series. Lynch and McLaughlin both didn't rule it out but said it would have to be under the correct circumstances. Showtime had a record number of subscribers following the debut and they'll be making a fortune on the merchandise side. As much as I'd love more it'd be weird to have even more cast members missing, especially Catherine Coulson and Miguel Ferrer.

Totally getting ahead of myself as we still have 6 hours left!

I have heard from someone 'on the inside' that Lynch is definitely open to a continuation. But as we saw with the lengthy 'on/ off / on" negotiations with Showtime that preceded the production, he'll only do it if given total control again, and the budget to do it properly. It's all a matter of whether it stacks up financially for Showtime to commission another series. My guess is, despite The Return's uncompromising nature dividing public opinion (alienating some hard core TP fans of old) and the comparatively low real time viewing figures, given the largely positive critical reaction and the kudos within the industry that flows from that (the premier of which other TV drama series has received a standing ovation at Cannes?), decent streaming figures, delivery of first time subscribers to Showtime (even if a proportion are short-lived), possible incoming awards (I'd have thought Kyle MacLachlan would be a shoo-in for an Emmy) and undoubted 'rewatchability' factor (this enigma of a series will be endlessly chewed over by fans and critics alike for decades, and is sure to generate solid blu-ray/ DVD sales and future arthouse cinema all dayer/ weekender marathons), it would be a no-brainer for Showtime to green light series 4.

Edited by Frankie S

4 hours ago, Nizzy said:

That second-to-last scene...emoji23.png

Lynch and Frost are definitely ripping the piss.

When I saw the announcer I was like "must be a big name"

When he said

James Hurley

I was like "surely not...."

When

James played it

I buckled :lol::lol:

That was a strange seen with Sarah Palmer watching that old boxing match that kept on looping all the time. There seems to be some talk as well that some of the scenes have been jumbled around - for example Janey E telling Dougie/Cooper that he didn't come home the night before (as he was presumably out with the Mitchum brothers), yet in the last episode we saw him in the garden with Sonny Jim. Seems like there's some weird chronological thing going on that hasn't been explained yet.

4 hours ago, Highland Capital said:

Seems like there's some weird chronological thing going on that hasn't been explained yet.

There is no doubt that time is behaving strangely in Twin Peaks. 

Spoiler

As PCK says above, Bobby said 'we found some stuff in my dad's house today.' This happened in Ep 9. 

A few more examples of time moving strangely in Twin Peaks, or flowing backward and forwards, stuck in a holding pattern:

The credits scene of the Double R diner in Ep 7 was noticeably time shifted - customers changed positions and appeared and disappeared.

Big Ed's reflection in the gas station window in the closing scene of Ep13.  Watch closely: His reflection puts down the cup of soup well after Big Ed has done so. 

The skipping backward and forward of the boxing match on the TV at Sarah Palmer's house recalled both the skipping record sounds that seemed to accompany Laura Palmer's footsteps in the Red Room in Ep 1 (of course we saw a gramophone beside the Giant (or ???????) in the B&W  'listen to the sounds' scene that opened Ep1) and the glitching effect in Ep 3 as Coop entered the room on the island above the purple sea, and met the eyeless woman, in a scene where time seemed to flow both backwards and forwards.

Audrey Horne seems stuck in time, wanting to leave but unable to do so, locked in an endlessly repeating conversation with her 'husband' (she's possibly still in a coma). Her introduction in Ep12, followed a jump cut from Dr Amp / Jacoby (itself almost a word-for-word repeat of a rant from a previous episode) waxing lyrical about the 'fifth circle of hell' - according to Dante the location of the icy river Cocytus, where the treacherous are frozen in position, each according to their sins. 

Of course The Return folds in on itself all the time: James recycling that terrible song (from the second season of the original series) in the Roadhouse, his backing singers pale imitations of Donna and Maddy. Becky making the same mistakes in men as her mother Shelly, who (in Ep 11) suddenly breaks off from a heartfelt conversation with Bobby and Becky about the good-for-nothing Steven to rush into the arms of another terrible choice, Red. The Return is more than just a commentary about history (and mistakes) repeating down through the generations though. The whole town seems to be stuck in a endless loop.

I suspect Twin Peaks is awaiting the return of Agent Cooper, to break the spell, although, ironically, he has his own 'locked-in syndrome' to deal with first.

Strangely, it has been reported that Sky Germany mistakenly aired episode Episode 14 this week instead of Epsode 13. Unsurprisingly, almost no-one noticed. 

Edited by Frankie S

7 hours ago, Frankie S said:

There is no doubt that time is behaving strangely in Twin Peaks. 

Hide contents

As PCK says above, Bobby said 'we found some stuff in my dad's house today.' This happened in Ep 9. 

A few more examples of time moving strangely in Twin Peaks, or flowing backward and forwards, stuck in a holding pattern:

The credits scene of the Double R diner in Ep 7 was noticeably time shifted - customers changed positions and appeared and disappeared.

Big Ed's reflection in the gas station window in the closing scene of Ep13.  Watch closely: His reflection puts down the cup of soup well after Big Ed has done so. 

The skipping backward and forward of the boxing match on the TV at Sarah Palmer's house recalled both the skipping record sounds that seemed to accompany Laura Palmer's footsteps in the Red Room in Ep 1 (of course we saw a gramophone beside the Giant (or ???????) in the B&W  'listen to the sounds' scene that opened Ep1) and the glitching effect in Ep 3 as Coop entered the room on the island above the purple sea, and met the eyeless woman, in a scene where time seemed to flow both backwards and forwards.

Audrey Horne seems stuck in time, wanting to leave but unable to do so, locked in an endlessly repeating conversation with her 'husband' (she's possibly still in a coma). Her introduction in Ep12, followed a jump cut from Dr Amp / Jacoby (itself almost a word-for-word repeat of a rant from a previous episode) waxing lyrical about the 'fifth circle of hell' - according to Dante the location of the icy river Cocytus, where the treacherous are frozen in position, each according to their sins. 

Of course The Return folds in on itself all the time: James recycling that terrible song (from the second season of the original series) in the Roadhouse, his backing singers pale imitations of Donna and Maddy. Becky making the same mistakes in men as her mother Shelly, who (in Ep 11) suddenly breaks off from a heartfelt conversation with Bobby and Becky about the good-for-nothing Steven to rush into the arms of another terrible choice, Red. The Return is more than just a commentary about history (and mistakes) repeating down through the generations though. The whole town seems to be stuck in a endless loop.

I suspect Twin Peaks is awaiting the return of Agent Cooper, to break the spell, although, ironically, he has his own 'locked-in syndrome' to deal with first.

Strangely, it has been reported that Sky Germany mistakenly aired episode Episode 14 this week instead of Epsode 13. Unsurprisingly, almost no-one noticed. 

Further example of that:

In that episode 7 ending where the RR customers changed, the change happened when someone came through the door in a panic and shouted 'Has anyone seen Billy?' Then in episode 12 Audrey says Billy has been missing for two days.

26 minutes ago, Dunning1874 said:

Further example of that:

Hide contents

In that episode 7 ending where the RR customers changed, the change happened when someone came through the door in a panic and shouted 'Has anyone seen Billy?' Then in episode 12 Audrey says Billy has been missing for two days.

I seem to remember an interview with Lynch in which he said that one of his earliest memories of the cinema was seeing a film in which the projectionist showed the reels out of sequence. That experience has definitely seeped into his approach as a film maker.

13 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

I watch my Twin Peaks from an illegal streaming site. Is it episode 13 or 14 that features the line, "get me some cell phones"?

It was Episode 13 at The Farm when BadCoop asked for the phones and the gang all handed him their mobiles.