Twin Peaks

yoda

Cracking episode.  I thought last week was a little weak but I think it was necessary for this weeks to be so effective. 

Donna's sister that played the piano in the original series was Stephen the Junkies' bit on the side... mental.

Cracking episode.  I thought last week was a little weak but I think it was necessary for this weeks to be so effective. 
Donna's sister that played the piano in the original series was Stephen the Junkies' bit on the side... mental.

One might say that was a damn good episode.

On ‎25‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 01:12, stimpy said:

That's me all caught up over two nights, love that I've only got the loosest of grasps as to what is going on.
The insect/frog thing interests me greatly.

You are in esteemed company. It's what's so endearing about the new series. It's taken the 9pm primetime slot and pushed it to the absolute max. Back in 1990 that slot was far more mundane, yet the death scene in Ronnette's visions of Laura Palmer was as near the bone as it got then - don't get me started on how scary Bob was.

Have to also say Kyle McLachlan has been a revelation - particularly as Duggie. Dale Cooper of the first series was like John Cena, but the scene where he cried at seeing his son, and the hilarious sex scene have been treats so far.

The extended ensemble cast are good, like the Mitchum Brothers, but my favourite is Diane. Who knows where her story is going.

Must see tv!

You are in esteemed company. It's what's so endearing about the new series. It's taken the 9pm primetime slot and pushed it to the absolute max. Back in 1990 that slot was far more mundane, yet the death scene in Ronnette's visions of Laura Palmer was as near the bone as it got then - don't get me started on how scary Bob was.
Have to also say Kyle McLachlan has been a revelation - particularly as Duggie. Dale Cooper of the first series was like John Cena, but the scene where he cried at seeing his son, and the hilarious sex scene have been treats so far.
The extended ensemble cast are good, like the Mitchum Brothers, but my favourite is Diane. Who knows where her story is going.
Must see tv!

I watched the first two series when they came out but haven't seen it since so only have vague recollections, enough to be triggered when something is referenced though.
Loving Lynch's turn as Gordon, this is what Coop would have grown into imo.

I think one of the things that I'm loving about The Return so much is there's pretty much 0 promo for episodes.  You go in each week having no idea which characters will feature and which plot points will develop.  It's getting a little easier to predict now that threads are starting to connect with each other, but there's still not much point in predicting what will happen because 9 times out of 10 you'll be wrong. 

That being said I cannot wait to do an 18 hour marathon after the series finishes.  So many nuances we'll all have missed!

Loved Ep 11. Candi is a star, the Mitchum Brothers are hilarious, and the whole sequence with Bobby, Shelly, Becky, the kid shooter, the manic horn-honking woman and the sick girl was brilliant.

Similar to the lead up to Episode 8, there is a growing buzz about the upcoming episode (entitled 'Let's Rock'). Sounds like it could be a good one! 

14 hours ago, Frankie S said:

Loved Ep 11. Candi is a star, the Mitchum Brothers are hilarious, and the whole sequence with Bobby, Shelly, Becky, the kid shooter, the manic horn-honking woman and the sick girl was brilliant.

Similar to the lead up to Episode 8, there is a growing buzz about the upcoming episode (entitled 'Let's Rock'). Sounds like it could be a good one! 

Hoping we find out what happened to Chester Desmond from FWWM since his car windscreen shares the episode title.  Hopefully we get a lot of black lodge / red room fuckery too.

I also think we'll start seeing more Big Ed and James now - Hawk and Co might let The Bookhouse Boys know about the proposed trip to Jack Rabbit's Palace.

37 minutes ago, sonsism said:

Hoping we find out what happened to Chester Desmond from FWWM since his car windscreen shares the episode title.  Hopefully we get a lot of black lodge / red room fuckery too.

I also think we'll start seeing more Big Ed and James now - Hawk and Co might let The Bookhouse Boys know about the proposed trip to Jack Rabbit's Palace.

Chester Desmond is an interesting one. Chris Isaak doesn't appear in the 'full' cast list that was released by Showtime before the series aired, but it was obviously incomplete as there have been a few brief appearances, some with speaking parts, by actors uncredited in the original cast list (Kathleen Deming as Buella in Ep 1 is an example). This suggests that there may be one or two surprise cameos to come. Would love to see Isaak, or at least find out what happened to him, and of course, an appearance (no matter how brief) by David Bowie as Philip Jeffries, if they were lucky enough to film something before his death, would be quite something, 'Let's Rock' is an expression associated with Michael J. Anderson ('The Arm'), so it will be interesting to see where this one goes. I would agree, the Black Lodge seems a likely destination.

2 hours ago, Highland Capital said:

Should maybe put this in a spoiler box, but there are rumours that some of the film crew have been quoted as saying that the real Dale Cooper returns very soon.

There's a theory that "real" Coop will return in Episode 14.  In episode 10 one of the Mitchum's screams "4 hours" at Candie and in episode 11 when the Mitchum's are eating cereal before planning to kill Dougie one of them asks if they can wait "3 more hours". 

Not particularly sold on it myself but if we hear "2 hours" or something of the like tonight who knows...

As much as I long for Coop back I'm loving the Mr C and Dougie stuff. 

Edited by sonsism

Well, Ep 12 was nothing like I expected. Much more low key, but quietly subversive nonetheless. Lynch defies expectations at every turn, but that was disorientating stuff from start to finish. Lots of references to characters we haven't met, yet. 

Don't want to spoil it for those who haven't seen it yet, but a few stray thoughts.

Spoiler

Grace Zabriskie was terrifying as Sarah Palmer. Is she possessed? Is her house possessed? I loved Zabriskie as the spooky neighbour who dropped in on Laura Dern at the start of Inland Empire. She was as mesmerising (and difficult to parse) here. A quietly menacing scene in a 'convenience store'.  

Spoiler

Bizarre mirroring of the red room in the hotel scene with Gordon, Albert, Tammy and Diane. Diane entering through the red curtains and saying 'Let's Rock!', echoing a very similar scene (from the pilot episode of the original series) with the Arm, was completely unexpected.

Spoiler

The Audrey Horne scene. WTF! How did she end up with this guy? Who were all these people they were talking about (and who were the girls in the Roadhouse talking about later)? Lynch lays some exposition on thick, like Hawk's mysterious 'ancient but always current' map, and at other times wrenches you from your bearings completely, making you feel like you're lost in a bizarre world without a map. Was Audrey Horne's husband the bald dude from the photo (with Mr C in the New York building) that Tammy showed Gordon and Albert?

Spoiler

Gordon Cole. What an old rascal! :lol:

It's definitely going to take at least a second viewing to make much sense of this one, and even then...

Edited by Frankie S

Lots of references to characters we haven't met, yet. 

And I doubt we ever will.  

That was...frustrating. A solid 40 minutes followed by Lynch trolling the f**k out of his audience for the remaining 20.

Two thoughts: i) Even the merest glimpse of the Palmer ceiling fan is enough to creep me out. ii) I'm still not convinced that Richard is Audrey's son.

Not an episode that moved many plot threads forward but still an enjoyable one for me. 

Loved both Sarah Palmer scenes, Frank and Ben's meeting, and Tammy joining the Blue Rose team (with a mention of Chet Desmond! I'll take that).

Still trying to digest everything in that episode, need a second watch to see what I missed as there were so many references. A few plot lines were moved along but in true Lynch style he throws in a handful of spanners to totally mess with our heads, love it.

The more this series goes on the more I think we could see a potential 4th series. Lynch and McLaughlin both didn't rule it out but said it would have to be under the correct circumstances. Showtime had a record number of subscribers following the debut and they'll be making a fortune on the merchandise side. As much as I'd love more it'd be weird to have even more cast members missing, especially Catherine Coulson and Miguel Ferrer.

Totally getting ahead of myself as we still have 6 hours left!

The more this series goes on the more I think we could see a potential 4th series. Lynch and McLaughlin both didn't rule it out but said it would have to be under the correct circumstances. Showtime had a record number of subscribers following the debut and they'll be making a fortune on the merchandise side. As much as I'd love more it'd be weird to have even more cast members missing, especially Catherine Coulson and Miguel Ferrer.

Totally getting ahead of myself as we still have 6 hours left!

I'd be thrilled with another series. I think this has been wonderful television. Just incredible.

I feel like this was a really important episode. Just not sure why.

Edit: I really like Chromatics.