Twin Peaks

yoda

After the scream and the screen going black, I thought  to myself, 'STARRING KYLE MACLACHLAN' better not come up or I'll be raging!'.  Then it looked like something was about to happen.....and then 'STARRING KYLE MACLACHLAN' came up!   Argh!!!

My exact experience too!!

Wasn't fully on board with the first half of Ep 17. Thought the Green Glove Guy v Bouncing Bob showdown was risible. Have a feeling this long-awaited Good v Evil showdown was a pastiche, with the loveable cockney geezer-turned-superhero taking down Bob like he was a boss at the end of a bad video game. Loved the second half of the episode though, from Coop going down into the basement in the Great Northern onwards. 

Episode 18 was incredible though. Even though I adore Episode 8, I thought this was Lynch's best work since Lost Highway. Utterly disorienting, haunting and eerie. I have to hand it to Lynch: given the expectations of much of the Twin Peaks fan base for a coherent ending that wrapped up many of the loose ends, and for Coop to triumph over evil, Lynch must have cojones of steel to bow out with such an opaque, bewildering and resolutely downbeat finale.

The ten minute drive was mesmerising, the atmospheric shot when they stopped at the gas station in the dark was like an Edward Hopper painting, but much more beautiful. The last scene was terrifying. Coop's grand plan came to naught, leaving him broken and bewildered. Laura couldn't be saved. Evil won. Bravo, Mr Lynch! 

Edited by Frankie S

I liked the Bob fight purely because it was more Bob. Can see the complaints about Freddy being superhero-y but I read a good theory about The Fireman communicating to each individual in a way that they'll fully understand. For Coop, its riddles and clues. For Andy, it was seeing everything on a screen. For Freddy, it was making him believe he was part of a superhero origins story.

Love the sound of the Part 17&18 simultaneous theory. Even if there's nothing to it it'll be a cool time killer at some point. I just wish they'd announce a blu-ray box set soon so I can rewatch it in all its glory!

After a bit of time I definitely think the ending was the best move Lynch and Frost could have went with. There is more to tell if they so wish but there is also a resolution. A tragic resolution but a resolution nonetheless.

On 07/09/2017 at 00:34, Blootoon87 said:

I also think that's it done, can't see there being a fourth season or another film. I wouldn't be too upset if that's the case, I thought the ending was brilliant and they'd struggle to top it.

Yup. I had that feeling too.  It seemed like the closure was that the Twin Peaks story has no closure, and that Coop will never be able to return to "full Coop" (I wish there had been more of that, rather than the overwrought coming back storyline - although that made episode 16 so enjoyable) after failing to save Laura. 

Generally, I thought The Return was magnificent - every bit as enjoyable as season one.  I will certainly be purchasing it.  I don't think television drama has ever made me quite as happy as "I am the FBI".    

On 05/09/2017 at 16:49, pub car king said:

Did you hear Sarah call out her name just before the scream it was very faint 

This is one of the reasons why I think that we won't be seeing a season four.  That seemed to link it all back to season one.

R.I.P. Harry Dean Stanton. Great actor. Loved him in Lynch's work - as Carl Rodd in FWWMThe Return, Johnnie Farragut in Wild at Heart and Freddy Howard in Inland Empire, as well as his iconic role in Paris, Texas.

Lynch is definitely up for a continuation of Twin Peaks btw. He's playing the long game on this. It's  just a matter of whether Showtime, or failing that, another platform such as Netflix, come up with the money and cede the requisite level of control. It would likely be another 3-5 years in the making, as Lynch is a fastidious filmmaker. Despite low-key noises emanating from Showtime's President David Nevins, I'd be surprised if they weren't already deep in negotiations for season 4.

The finale to S3 opens up a whole new range of possibilities. If The Return had a minor fault, for me it paid a little too much lip service to the original and was shrouded in a kind of bittersweet nostalgia. Some of that was wonderful, like the tribute to the log lady, but it felt, at times, like Lynch was torn between paying homage to the old, and forging something new. I'd like to see more of the world of episode 18, which ranks amongst the most unsettling work that Lynch has produced in his career IMO.

Edited by Frankie S

3 hours ago, JustOneCornetto said:

Another great actor from the Twin Peaks universe taken from us.

It makes the whole Twin Peaks The Return so more emotional knowing the number of great actors who appeared but no longer with us.

RIP Harry Dean

One of the standout moments of The Return was Log Lady saying goodbye to Deputy Hawk.  In many ways it was the cast coming out of character to pay tribute, but it was an incredibly affecting scene.  I'm glad the Harry Dean Stanton character turned out to be one of the apparently good guys.

How many times did we get told that Frank Truman was Harry Truman's brother? All. The. Time!

By the opposite token, we never heard what happened to Annie or where Donna was despite her father and sister appearing or what happened to Leo or where Chet Desmond went. At least Mark Frost's book revealed that Hank Jennings had been stabbed to death in prison.

No single mention of Windom Earle either, despite his close links to Cooper, Major Briggs and Project Blue Book. I guess Lynch didn't like that character after all.