Latest World Rankings

Moo

Because they've been drawn against absolute shite for 10 years. And the only reason they stay in these top 2 pots is because they never have to play any decent teams. It's an awful state of affairs.

Does that make Norway some sort of scalp or something? Because they beat us? Na mate. They're complete shite.

And why have they been drawn against "absolute shite"? Because they won Euro 2004, and have consistently kept winning enough to keep their ranking high enough to get a high pot. So completely in charge of their own destiny, and hardly "fortunate".

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Because they've been drawn against absolute shite for 10 years. And the only reason they stay in these top 2 pots is because they never have to play any decent teams. It's an awful state of affairs.

Does that make Norway some sort of scalp or something? Because they beat us? Na mate. They're complete shite.

The reason they 'never play anyone decent' is cos they are one of the decent teams. They are consistently better than whoever they are drawn again.

Greece have recently qualified for tournaments from groups containing Norway and Croatia(only teams we've had in common lately). Scotland did not.

I'd take qualifying through shit festing rather than 'pretty football' and not qualifying.

And why have they been drawn against "absolute shite"? Because they won Euro 2004, and have consistently kept winning enough to keep their ranking high enough to get a high pot. So completely in charge of their own destiny, and hardly "fortunate".

I think you're missing the point a bit there though, nobody is denying that Greece deserved to be seeded higher due to their Euro's win and that subsequently they have won enough games to keep themselves as high ranking seeds.

The point is they are not playing top opposition in the games they are winning, this isn't Greeces fault, it's the fault of FIFA/UEFA's self perpetuating ranking system.

Winning Euro 2004 hasn't been relevant for about 5 years.

It's extremely fortunate. Czech Republic have been floating about the same pot 1/2 level since 2004 and they've had to play Italy, Netherlands, Germany and Spain. Turkey have had to play Germany, Netherlands and Spain. France have played Italy and Spain. Greece have played... Bosnia and Croatia...

To an extent you're right, and I agree it's a shite system. But they've also been lucky with the draws, no doubt about it.

Yeah where they've not been top seeds they seem to have avoided a Spain/Germany/France type team

To an extent you're right, and I agree it's a shite system. But they've also been lucky with the draws, no doubt about it.

Exactly. They've always had the worst or one of the worst sides out of pots 3 and 4 and it's meant that even when they've fallen out of Pot 1 or had a credible pot 2 side to threaten them, it's always a piece of piss to reach the playoffs at least.

I think you're missing the point a bit there though, nobody is denying that Greece deserved to be seeded higher due to their Euro's win and that subsequently they have won enough games to keep themselves as high ranking seeds.

The point is they are not playing top opposition in the games they are winning, this isn't Greeces fault, it's the fault of FIFA/UEFA's self perpetuating ranking system.

I completely get that the ranking system isn't the best, but is there really a better way to do it for international teams? It certainly has it's limitations, but I doubt it's going to change much. Teams just don't play enough games, and unless you go completely wild and offer no seeding, then top teams are always going to play teams who are worse than them on paper, so it's self-perpetuating by design. Which you're pretty much saying anyway.

Winning Euro 2004 hasn't been relevant for about 5 years.

It's extremely fortunate. Czech Republic have been floating about the same pot 1/2 level since 2004 and they've had to play Italy, Netherlands, Germany and Spain. Turkey have had to play Germany, Netherlands and Spain. France have played Italy and Spain. Greece have played... Bosnia and Croatia...

It's totally relevant when it's the main reason behind Greece being so highly ranked now. If they'd been knocked out in the groups, I'm fairly sure they would be way down the rankings today, because they would have had to have played harder teams. And the Czech's have only had to play the top teams in the past two qualifying campaigns, when they dropped into pot two for Euro 2012, and pot three for 2014, because they're on a massive decline.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Latest rankings issued today and we have fallen back to 27th (down 5).

I suppose it is likely we will fall further, given a few teams around us are involved in the World Cup.

Costly last minute goal conceded.

• 1 month later...

I suppose it is likely we will fall further, given a few teams around us are involved in the World Cup.

No change, Scotland are the highest ranked team to not move

ENGLAND ARE DOWN TO 20TH AAAAHAHA

1. Germany

27. Scotland

61. Poland

70. Republic of Ireland

96. Georgia

208=. Gibraltar

Now I realise that Poland's ranking is a bit false because they didn't play a competitive match between autumn 2009 and June 2012, and also that Gibraltar's is false as they aren't FIFA members so can't accumulate points, but we really should at least be in the playoffs this time.

1. Germany

27. Scotland

61. Poland

70. Republic of Ireland

96. Georgia

208=. Gibraltar

Now I realise that Poland's ranking is a bit false because they didn't play a competitive match between autumn 2009 and June 2012, and also that Gibraltar's is false as they aren't FIFA members so can't accumulate points, but we really should at least be in the playoffs this time.

Weird - good weird though.

I remember just a year or so ago thinking we had miles to go before me could even catch up on ROI (who seemed to be quite solid). 6 or 7 international games later and Hey, Presto! We're not that sh*t anymore!

If England perform as they have the last campaign, and we continue picking up the points we have recently under Strachan, we'll overtake England within the year by my maths.

Of course, a result of some form against Germany and then beating England at Hampden could be enough to do it this year.

If England perform as they have the last campaign, and we continue picking up the points we have recently under Strachan, we'll overtake England within the year by my maths.

Of course, a result of some form against Germany and then beating England at Hampden could be enough to do it this year.

Beating those two and having Hampden back in action by November?

Haha - calm down! :lol:

Archived