The Alloa Athletic Thread

5 hours ago, Lichtie78 said:

We’ve signed Callum Smith on loan for the season, thoughts?

there is a player in there , the dunfermline fans rate him, but he never quite got going at Alloa. got sent off against you guys last season.

Edited by whereismillar

Don't recall seeing much of Burt but obviously a player who has been highly rated at youth level and has some experience of this league. As such, worth a shot. Welcome aboard Liam. With Burt and Zanetta we now have a bit more depth in midfield and attack. If we could add a centre-half too then we'd be looking a good bit stronger.

Burt and Zanatta are decent signings and give the squad more depth, but I don't think they are any better than we have; although Zanatta may prove me wrong if played through the middle.

The glaring gap in the squad for me remains goal threat and options up front. That will be mitigated if the aforementioned Dario, Hastie and wee Kev (especially) get among the goals.

ETA With my happier hat on, best of luck to Liam and Dario in the Wasps' colours. Always good to see talented youngsters from the top clubs stutting their stuff at the Indodrill.

Burt in particular will surely learn from playing beside quality like Robbo, Flanny and Stevie H.

I don’t know if I’d rather Smith than Zanatta, hard to say without seeing Dario in an Alloa shirt yet. However, I don’t think we saw the Smith that Dunfermline fans hyped so much very often. He worked tirelessly and did a decent job, no question about that. I just didn’t see anything that special that would think he could do damage in the Championship. Should be good at Arbroath though - regular starts and a full season at the club would probably bring the best out!

19 minutes ago, KierenAAFC said:

I don’t know if I’d rather Smith than Zanatta, hard to say without seeing Dario in an Alloa shirt yet. However, I don’t think we saw the Smith that Dunfermline fans hyped so much very often. He worked tirelessly and did a decent job, no question about that. I just didn’t see anything that special that would think he could do damage in the Championship. Should be good at Arbroath though - regular starts and a full season at the club would probably bring the best out!

I'm going further than that. Think Smith is average (in terms of quality, not effort) in our side and probably will be at Arbroath too whereas Zanatta looked average in a Hearts side last year where he scored. So I'm much more excited to see Zanatta in an Alloa strip.

I'm going further than that. Think Smith is average (in terms of quality, not effort) in our side and probably will be at Arbroath too whereas Zanatta looked average in a Hearts side last year where he scored. So I'm much more excited to see Zanatta in an Alloa strip.
You might be right. Several Raith fans I have spoken to and who saw a lot of Dario last year would disagree I think.

Personally I don't think there's a lot between the two, but Smith looks more effective centrally and that's where I think we were (are) short. Wide we have Hastie, Kev, Flanny and Brown, and now Dario.

As I've touched on before I think Zanatta may do well for us through the middle; a position I can see Hastie being effective too. Both are strong and have pace, so different options to Spence and Trouten.

I do think Smith has a lot of potential. I thought he started slowly with us last year, but gradually improved when played more in the middle. He also lookef to me like he knew where the goal was. Not sure how he'll do at Arbroath. They have several attacking options so he MAY not get a lot of starts, especially initially.

30 minutes ago, printer said:

You might be right. Several Raith fans I have spoken to and who saw a lot of Dario last year would disagree I think.

Personally I don't think there's a lot between the two, but Smith looks more effective centrally and that's where I think we were (are) short. Wide we have Hastie, Kev, Flanny and Brown, and now Dario.

As I've touched on before I think Zanatta may do well for us through the middle; a position I can see Hastie being effective too. Both are strong and have pace, so different options to Spence and Trouten.

I do think Smith has a lot of potential. I thought he started slowly with us last year, but gradually improved when played more in the middle. He also lookef to me like he knew where the goal was. Not sure how he'll do at Arbroath. They have several attacking options so he MAY not get a lot of starts, especially initially.

Other thing to remember is they played him as a winger. From what I've heard we're going to use him as a striker.

2 hours ago, OldCrabbitWasp said:

Nearly at the end of the transfer window. Anyone got any gossip or hear say on a potential centre half? We are still light in that area and one injury would be a major concern.

Dunno I feel like we need yet another striker.

57 minutes ago, LeodhasXD said:

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/3137282/sunderland-connor-shieds-alloa-loan/amp/

And there's one more signing thats under the radar that people if vigilant enough could work out. 

that is the Sun ! er not famous for the truth is it, will be surprised if he does come .