The Alloa Athletic Thread

6 ft 5 CB, that will do me.

Indeed. We've looked a bit vulnerable from set pieces.

Andy Graham has been the only tall player we had in the team, let alone defence. Even Andy doesn't really attack the ball defensively; good in the air though he is.

Jim clearly likes a couple if big centre backs as his preference - Frank instead of Jason, McCart instead of Taggs.

Connor Shields, if he's confirmed would give us more pace going forwards, a facet Jim G has improved significantly in the last week or so.

Young centre back supposed to be quite good with the ball at his feet too.

At least signings talk can now be put to bed. Still question marks whether the current squad is as strong as the one we ended last season with. However, I'd say the manager has been vindicated in biding his time to get the final few players in and made decent acquisitions rather than panic signings. He's recruited pretty well overall.

Edited by Father Barrys Sign (Top Half)

Young centre back supposed to be quite good with the ball at his feet too.
At least signings talk can now be put to bed. Still question marks whether the current squad is as strong as the one we ended last season with. However, I'd say the manager has been vindicated in biding his time to get the final few players in and made decent acquisitions rather than panic signings. He's recruited pretty well overall.

Tend to agree with comments about JG being vindicated in his steadfast resolution not rush into panic signings. The squad at present along with possible addition of young lad from Sunderland is in my opinion a stronger squad than last year.

Not rushing into panic signings is to be commended. Having to play a number of competitive matches with 12/13 players isn't. I'm pretty sure this wasn't the plan either, the manager has been saying for about 6 weeks that he was hoping to have players in for the next game! Ideally you want to have a few good signings earlier in the summer then add some loans to finish it off.  But fair play to him, the squad looks promising and we should be able to be competitive in the months ahead.

Not rushing into panic signings is to be commended. Having to play a number of competitive matches with 12/13 players isn't. I'm pretty sure this wasn't the plan either, the manager has been saying for about 6 weeks that he was hoping to have players in for the next game! Ideally you want to have a few good signings earlier in the summer then add some loans to finish it off.  But fair play to him, the squad looks promising and we should be able to be competitive in the months ahead.

Oh, Waspie! We didn't play any competitive games with 12 or 13 players (not sure about the Binos game, but was that competitive? [emoji6])

Given the manager clearly feels (correctly IMO) that we need loan quality to be competitive this season, and that such signings can only really be done towards the end of the window, I'm not sure how Goody could have done things any differently or better.

11 minutes ago, printer said:

Oh, Waspie! We didn't play any competitive games with 12 or 13 players (not sure about the Binos game, but was that competitive? emoji6.png)

Given the manager clearly feels (correctly IMO) that we need loan quality to be competitive this season, and that such signings can only really be done towards the end of the window, I'm not sure how Goody could have done things any differently or better.

Peggie was the only real option from the bench for the league opener! In a few of those games we had players named as subs who in reality were injured. Got away with it, but not ideal. And to be fair to the manager, I really don't believe he planned for things to be quite as tight. 

Just need to sort the pitch now and all will be well ;)

Peggie was the only real option from the bench for the league opener! In a few of those games we had players named as subs who in reality were injured. Got away with it, but not ideal. And to be fair to the manager, I really don't believe he planned for things to be quite as tight. 
Just need to sort the pitch now and all will be well [emoji6]. 
[emoji4]

https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/sunderland-youngster-connor-shields-joins-15097309
More evidence.
I assume it being an 'international' transfer and England getting the last minute loans in across the leagues is holding the deal up.

Possibly we will find out more tomorrow, although that says its only till january last nights article said it was a season loan