The Alloa Athletic Thread

11 hours ago, LoganAAFC said:

Game is off due to snow

image.jpeg

Very disappointing on 2 counts. 

We've become used to the Recs being bomb-proof to the weather except for exceptional circumstances. It didn't start snowing until around 6am and only amounted to approx 1 inch. In the past that would have been handled easily with a small tractor pulling a large brush. It hasn't rained for a while, so there is no ice embedded in the turf. From the pic above it appears that no effort was made to make it playable and no announcement from the club that it was trying to do so.

Secondly, it says a lot about the energy of the club just now. There have been discussions on here before about things that need fixing  and poor pitch management can now be added to it.  Players don't like weekend cancellations as part-time clubs are not at their best for midweek replays. So the club are not doing their best to ensure the succes of the team which is a terrible accusation as that is what they are there for.

3 hours ago, Willie Gut said:

Very disappointing on 2 counts. 

We've become used to the Recs being bomb-proof to the weather except for exceptional circumstances. It didn't start snowing until around 6am and only amounted to approx 1 inch. In the past that would have been handled easily with a small tractor pulling a large brush. It hasn't rained for a while, so there is no ice embedded in the turf. From the pic above it appears that no effort was made to make it playable and no announcement from the club that it was trying to do so.

The assessment comes from the ground staff if they can make the pitch and surrounds safe in the space of 5 hours. They've got plenty of experience of doing it previously and know better than anyone else. The forecast on Friday morning from the BBC was for us to dodge the snow which often happens. If there was more warning I'd imagine someone could've been in earlier to work on it but hindsight often comes too late. Pitch certainly had more than an inch of snow and the roundabout area was a skating rink despite both being gritted the night previous.

3 hours ago, Willie Gut said:

Players don't like weekend cancellations as part-time clubs are not at their best for midweek replays. So the club are not doing their best to ensure the succes of the team which is a terrible nonsense accusation

FTFY

Annan, famously full-time, will have a hotel booked to ensure they are in the best position to take points against us and won't be travelling from the borders. There is a new manager, a club legend taking the team now. Nicest guy you'll ever meet and you are insinuating the club are passively trying to sabotage his (and their own) potential success?  There's a really hopeful energy from the past couple weeks, despite the potential blip of the Edinburgh game. I was speaking to Robbo and Hetherington on Saturday at Dunbar and I asked if it was difficult to have Andy go from one of the boys to their boss and the reply was: "It's Andy, it's easy." He'd run though brick walls for the team when playing and they'll do it for him as manager. That's the energy around the place.

Edited by LeodhasXD

On 30/11/2023 at 21:10, Sam McCallum said:

Hi all, long shot. My dad was an Alloa player Mungo McCallum and passed away when I was young. I found this thread through google search and noticed people mentioning him on this thread. I know this is an ask but looking to purchase a shirt (L/XL) or something with his name on it if anyone has one. I do have a few things from these times but a shirt in my size is sadly not one. Anyone with any info about this please DM me, I am happy to pay a good amount for this and stories are always welcome. Long live the wasps!

Your dad was a great player for Alloa , a really clever classy forward who was a winner and fondly remembered at Alloa by all who had the pleasure to watch him play. Best wishes Sam and thanks for posting. 

8 hours ago, waspie13 said:

It actually needs people to be arsed turning up to pitch in to get games on 

Jock Robertson is sadly missed from the ground staff I suspect.  Jock would have had that game on 

10 hours ago, LeodhasXD said:

The assessment comes from the ground staff if they can make the pitch and surrounds safe in the space of 5 hours. They've got plenty of experience of doing it previously and know better than anyone else. The forecast on Friday morning from the BBC was for us to dodge the snow which often happens. If there was more warning I'd imagine someone could've been in earlier to work on it but hindsight often comes too late. Pitch certainly had more than an inch of snow and the roundabout area was a skating rink despite both being gritted the night previous.

FTFY

Annan, famously full-time, will have a hotel booked to ensure they are in the best position to take points against us and won't be travelling from the borders. There is a new manager, a club legend taking the team now. Nicest guy you'll ever meet and you are insinuating the club are passively trying to sabotage his (and their own) potential success?  There's a really hopeful energy from the past couple weeks, despite the potential blip of the Edinburgh game. I was speaking to Robbo and Hetherington on Saturday at Dunbar and I asked if it was difficult to have Andy go from one of the boys to their boss and the reply was: "It's Andy, it's easy." He'd run though brick walls for the team when playing and they'll do it for him as manager. That's the energy around the place.

Just saw Robbo this morning at Edinburgh Airport drop off. Heading off somewhere with his missus.

Thought I'd mention that. 🙂

2 hours ago, printer said:

Just saw Robbo this morning at Edinburgh Airport drop off. Heading off somewhere with his missus.

Thought I'd mention that. 🙂

Tbf to him I don't think he's going to be fit any time soon. I'd be off to sunnier climes if I could too.

Is it teams option to cup tie players? Still don't understand it, I remember Euan Henderson when on-loan from Hearts played in the cup against Bonnyrigg under Barry Ferguson, so how can Bobby Wales and Taylor Steven not play? Just due to the clubs saying they can play or they can't?

33 minutes ago, LoganAAFC said:

Is it teams option to cup tie players? Still don't understand it, I remember Euan Henderson when on-loan from Hearts played in the cup against Bonnyrigg under Barry Ferguson, so how can Bobby Wales and Taylor Steven not play? Just due to the clubs saying they can play or they can't?

Generally there's a clause in the agreement that either says we need to give permission or the player is not to be played in cup competitions.

Bobby Wales and Taylor Steven were getting sub appearances for their parent clubs and presumably in later rounds than we will be they might need players. They want to keep the option open.

Henderson was part of a big Hearts squad and they clearly didn't see him in their plans for that season. East Kilbride were out so they weren't bothered about Ally Roy for this one.

On 30/11/2023 at 21:10, Sam McCallum said:

Hi all, long shot. My dad was an Alloa player Mungo McCallum and passed away when I was young. I found this thread through google search and noticed people mentioning him on this thread. I know this is an ask but looking to purchase a shirt (L/XL) or something with his name on it if anyone has one. I do have a few things from these times but a shirt in my size is sadly not one. Anyone with any info about this please DM me, I am happy to pay a good amount for this and stories are always welcome. Long live the wasps!

When Mungo played for East Stirling, we once presented him with a birthday pie (a scotch pie with 29 written on it in brown sauce!) 

Didn't realise he'd passed away, very sorry to her that.  A great player!

16 hours ago, LeodhasXD said:

Generally there's a clause in the agreement that either says we need to give permission or the player is not to be played in cup competitions.

Bobby Wales and Taylor Steven were getting sub appearances for their parent clubs and presumably in later rounds than we will be they might need players. They want to keep the option open.

Henderson was part of a big Hearts squad and they clearly didn't see him in their plans for that season. East Kilbride were out so they weren't bothered about Ally Roy for this one.

Wales and Steven's deals must finish January. Hopefully both can extend. Not sure what Andy's views will be on which areas he wants to strengthen using the loan market. I suppose we'll find out. Keeper might be one?

6 hours ago, printer said:

Wales and Steven's deals must finish January. Hopefully both can extend. Not sure what Andy's views will be on which areas he wants to strengthen using the loan market. I suppose we'll find out. Keeper might be one?

There's generally always a recall clause too in January like with Offord or Zanatta.

I'd fully expect them to go back to their clubs but they've both played for Killie and St Johnstone so can't go on loan to anyone else. Unless they feature in the first team plans we've hopefully got a decent chance of getting them back. I don't think it did Offord any favours sitting on the bench. 

Sad to report tonight the passing of another Alloa great Willie McCulloch following an illness.

Willie played for us in the late 60s /early 1970s and was eventually transferred To Airdrie in 1973  for then a record fee for Alloa. Willie went on to be an absolute hero for the Airdrie faithful as he was at the Recs and played in the Scottish cup final of 1975 where they lost to Celtic . 

Willie played for Airdrie up until 1981 when he was transferred to Berwick Rangers . 

Alloa signed Willie from camelon juniors in 1969 and he  scored 39 goals in under 4 years from midfield before departing for Broomfield. 

Willie remained in football and was a significant figure in the local amateur scene in Stirling and was a regular visitor to the Recs . Gregor mckechnie was one of the players he nurtured and coached into the senior ranks and was a hugely respected coach in football circles. 

Thoughts are with Willie's family and friends at this sad time . A great forward for Alloa 

Edited by Oweny

18 minutes ago, Oweny said:

Sad to report tonight the passing of another Alloa great Willie McCulloch following an illness. Willie played for us in the late 60s /early 1970s and was eventually transferred To Airdrie in 1972 for then a record fee for Alloa. Willie went on to be an absolute hero for the Airdrie faithful as he was at the Recs and played in the Scottish cup final of 1975 where they lost to Celtic . 

Willie played for Airdrie up until 1981 when he was transferred to Berwick Rangers . 

Willie remained in football and was a significant figure in the local amateur scene in Stirling and was a regular visitor to the Recs . Gregor mckechnie was one of the players he nurtured and coached into the senior ranks and was a hugely respected coach in football circles. 

Thoughts are with Willie's family and friends at this sad time . A great forward for Alloa 

Sad indeed, Oweny.

I only saw Willie play a few times, but I remember him as a terrific player.

RIP.

4 hours ago, LoganAAFC said:

What a player Bobby Wales is! Well deserved Man of the Match performance yesterday. Could of easily got a hat-trick but that first goal will come, but he is getting closer and closer as the weeks go by.

bobby-wales.webp

Bobby is a talent for sure.

Still learning of course, but has the potential to go on to have a successful career.

It makes sense to me for him to come back to Alloa in the January window. He's getting starts with us every week when available.

Should also go out on loan to a championship side next season IMO. I'm sure McInnes and his staff are better placed than me to decide though. 😁

Good to hear Bobby Wales is doing well for you. I'm a Killie fan and I'm following his progress with interest.

By the way, I wonder if anyone could help with a question I have about the League Cup tie between our teams on 22nd August 1984.

It finished 1-1 after extra time with Killie winning 3-2 on penalties. Lloyd equalised for Alloa in 54 minutes. I know Thomson and Lloyd missed in the shoot out but does anyone know who scored your 2 penalties? I've checked the Express, Record, Herald and Scotsman without success.

Thanks.

12 hours ago, Woof Stramash said:

Good to hear Bobby Wales is doing well for you. I'm a Killie fan and I'm following his progress with interest.

By the way, I wonder if anyone could help with a question I have about the League Cup tie between our teams on 22nd August 1984.

It finished 1-1 after extra time with Killie winning 3-2 on penalties. Lloyd equalised for Alloa in 54 minutes. I know Thomson and Lloyd missed in the shoot out but does anyone know who scored your 2 penalties? I've checked the Express, Record, Herald and Scotsman without success.

Thanks.

@Waspie maybe the best bet for your question. I was almost certainly there myself, but have no recollection.

1 hour ago, printer said:

@Waspie maybe the best bet for your question. I was almost certainly there myself, but have no recollection.

Few years before I started going to the Recs and a few decades after the era I've been looking at recently. If it was 1924 then no bother 😁

@Oweny might be the man on here. Or try John Glencross at the club, I'm sure John would know. 

1 hour ago, Waspie said:

Few years before I started going to the Recs and a few decades after the era I've been looking at recently. If it was 1924 then no bother 😁

@Oweny might be the man on here. Or try John Glencross at the club, I'm sure John would know. 

😄