The Alloa Athletic Thread

Tbf, I reckon on paper Danny Lennon had built a squad that looked pretty good. I remember most alloa fans very optimistic with the squad he'd built. We had Chopra, Geoff Mitchell who I think was about 6ft7, mikk reintam who had international caps etc...

Folk were probably trying to put a brave face on it to be honest. There were some good individual players but the squad in general looked pretty shite. I expected us to get relegated before a ball was kicked.

It's always good to try and get an eye catching signing in early on, it encourages others you mean business. Kevin Cawley was in that category this season. Last year Danny Lennon made Andy McNeil and Colin Hamilton his first signings, then went on holiday. He didn't send out a signal by making a big signing, instead the signal was that it was the end of an era at Alloa with our great team breaking up over a few weeks.

Ultimately, Lennon ended up later in the summer trying to put a squad together out of whoever was still available. In that situation you have to take risks and hope they work out. Very hard at the best of times, and even harder when you're one of two part-time sides in a full-time league. Not many of Danny's risks worked out. I'm afraid that his performance as manager last summer was very poor indeed.

Tbf, I reckon on paper Danny Lennon had built a squad that looked pretty good. I remember most alloa fans very optimistic with the squad he'd built. We had Chopra, Geoff Mitchell who I think was about 6ft7, mikk reintam who had international caps etc...

I must admit, I was looking at Lennon's squad and thinking it had record low points total written all over it. Quite surprised to hear you guys thought differently.

Think you must have come to that conclusion at Brora!

Brora was okay, Berwick was grim and the home defeat in the cup using the second string was even worse. I don't recall anyone at that point apart from Danny saying positive things.

I'll post this in here rather than on our forum.

I liked Calum a lot and he hugely unlucky not to get more game time with us courtesy of Aitken's favourites and insistence on playing non wingers on the wing. He came to us as a left-back, but he's pretty poor defensively, and far better as a left-winger. Aitken seemed to trust him a lot in the bigger games where his workrate and dead ball deliveries were tremendous. 

He's got a cracking left peg on him and can swing in some stonking crosses, but at LB he didn't get to use this much, his lack of a right foot was exploited as was his lack of strength and positional awareness. I think he could be a very handy left winger or left-wing-back in a 3-5-2, especially in League One and is another guy I'm disappointed we didn't keep.

Here's what I wrote about him for his end of season review in the paper:

Calum Waters - 7

21 Appearances
1 Goal
3 Assists

The on-loan Celtic left-back found his opportunities limited in the league, making only 9 starts during his time with the club. Despite this lack of game time he performed well, especially when he was played on left-wing where he looked far more at home. With his Celtic contract expiring this summer I wouldn’t be disappointed to see him return to the Rock on a permanent deal.

Magic Moment: Scoring his first senior goal during December’s 5-0 Scottish Cup rout against Alloa is a moment Waters is likely to remember for a long time to come.

It also now means that, from the 5-0 game, you've signed 3 of the goals! Kirkpatrick (2) and Waters. We're keeping Fleming, but McCallum is still up for grabs - would be a disappointment if we couldn't keep him. Is that now 5 ex Sons in your squad? (Marr (trialist for us), Holmes, Taggart, Kirkpatrick and Waters or have I missed someone?)

I'll post this in here rather than on our forum.

I liked Calum a lot and he hugely unlucky not to get more game time with us courtesy of Aitken's favourites and insistence on playing non wingers on the wing. He came to us as a left-back, but he's pretty poor defensively, and far better as a left-winger. Aitken seemed to trust him a lot in the bigger games where his workrate and dead ball deliveries were tremendous.

He's got a cracking left peg on him and can swing in some stonking crosses, but at LB he didn't get to use this much, his lack of a right foot was exploited as was his lack of strength and positional awareness. I think he could be a very handy left winger or left-wing-back in a 3-5-2, especially in League One and is another guy I'm disappointed we didn't keep.

Here's what I wrote about him for his end of season review in the paper:

Calum Waters - 7

21 Appearances

1 Goal

3 Assists

The on-loan Celtic left-back found his opportunities limited in the league, making only 9 starts during his time with the club. Despite this lack of game time he performed well, especially when he was played on left-wing where he looked far more at home. With his Celtic contract expiring this summer I wouldn’t be disappointed to see him return to the Rock on a permanent deal.

Magic Moment: Scoring his first senior goal during December’s 5-0 Scottish Cup rout against Alloa is a moment Waters is likely to remember for a long time to come.

It also now means that, from the 5-0 game, you've signed 3 of the goals! Kirkpatrick (2) and Waters. We're keeping Fleming, but McCallum is still up for grabs - would be a disappointment if we couldn't keep him. Is that now 5 ex Sons in your squad? (Marr (trialist for us), Holmes, Taggart, Kirkpatrick and Waters or have I missed someone?)

Cawley

Suspect we'll be looking to get the full backs up the park far more next season so Waters should be a significant upgrade on the departing Hammy. Another centre back and the team is pretty much sorted, with a few more to pad the squad out before we get started.

No guarantee of success but an extremely impressive bit of team building by Jack Ross, most of it done before the end of May. Clearly means business.