Stenhousemuir Summer 2014

I have came to the conclusion the first team (you know the team the fans actually care about) is really just an after thought at our club.

We are 10 days until competitive action and the pre-season has just passed by in silence apart from the occasional one liner about a signing. We have had zero thoughts from the manager on how training has been going or indeed if we are bringing in any more players.

The friendlies are behind closed doors apart from Motherwell this Saturday which there has been no indication if the pitch is even going to be ready or not. No results have even been published from our games you have to rely on heresay to just get the score and line ups.

If the time is available to have new articles about over 55 football, joining up with the local amateur team and other things about the Community Programme then a few lines containing a result and line up wouldn't go a miss.

Just absolute apathy coming from the club in regard to the supporters I can't be arsed even going to get a season ticket. They should be pushing the season ticket it's a good deal but has barely been mentioned. Push the free kids season ticket if it's even happening?

Turn up at our first home league game, pay yer money and figure out who the new players are. Magic. Just magic.

A Motherwell update appeared shortly after I wrote this and now the kids season ticket is up.

If there is anything else anyone would like then please notify me via PM, I will post here and it will be on the website within a few hours once someone reads my post on here.

Cheerz.

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ross Meechan has signed from Partick Thistle, according to his Twitter page. According to his profile on the PTFC website, he's a right-back.

Still short of cover in central midfield - we're needing another couple of players in there before we get started next weekend.

In the 9 pages beforehand I've probably asked similar, but Eric Paton and Paul McHale's last professional club seems to have been with Stenny, what happened? I thought both were easily good enough for the league above (Although McHale had a lot of criticism at Dens) and they seem to have both slipped out of the game entirely!

On a separate note, how is Booth doing in comparison to Corrigan? I thought Corrigan was considered as doing a half decent job too! Shows how much I know.

Cheers for any responses.

Paton retired through injury and McHale left the club after some sort of falling out with the manager at the time (Irons, I think).

Paton was excellent for us, but towards the end he was getting injections every week to play and he just wasn't his usual self. McHale started off quite poorly, had a great run of games where he looked like the player we'd heard about then got injured and had the bust up.

For the Clyde fan. McManus left us years ago but he was utterly dreadful. An amateur player at best

In the 9 pages beforehand I've probably asked similar, but Eric Paton and Paul McHale's last professional club seems to have been with Stenny, what happened? I thought both were easily good enough for the league above (Although McHale had a lot of criticism at Dens) and they seem to have both slipped out of the game entirely!

On a separate note, how is Booth doing in comparison to Corrigan? I thought Corrigan was considered as doing a half decent job too! Shows how much I know.

Cheers for any responses.

Eric "The Big Easy" Paton is my all-time favourite Stenhousemuir player. Absolutely loved him. He almost single-handedly kept us in the division when he first signed for us in January 2011, and he was incredible during the opening part of the 2011-12 season. Injury got the better of him and he was in and out of the team before he had to retire in January 2013, but when he was good he was the best I'd ever seen.

It's probably a bit too difficult to compare the two managers, come back and ask the question in a couple of months. Looking back, Corrigan secured a couple of brilliant results - beating holders Kilmarnock in the League Cup in 2012, knocking Dundee out of the Ramsdens Cup quarter-final last year - but on the whole, his league record was unremarkable and the team were playing some pretty rotten football to boot. Booth's cleared out most of the "big personalities" from the side and gone with a younger group of players with a couple of older boys dotted around here and there. We drew 2-2 with Motherwell's U-20s side yesterday and at times we put together some excellent passages of play; at others we were badly exposed (and this goalie he's apparently taken on loan looks a very rum customer).

Looking forward to next season, and I'm especially looking forward to Scott Booth silencing the haters and the trolls with a top four finish.

Hardly any. There wasn't enough interest for a bus so only a few going up in cars, myself included. Probably about 10!

Thats a bit disappointing, I thought the novelty factor would attract a few more. Decided to head up for this one to add another ground to my list. A 7:15am start for me and I'll be back in Aberdeen at around 11:45pm.

That goalie looked howlin' hope he has not signed.

Apart from Josh Watt looking again like a superstar it was a bit meh for me lost two awful goals and no one else really stood out.

Play-off place is "minimum" expectation this season for Stenny, with hopes of a title push. Thoughts?

Settle.

Unless a couple of solid central midfielders are brought into the club, I reckon we'll be looking for a repeat of last season's mid-table finish. Look at the squad - a handful of hardened campaigners (Ross McMillan, Chris Smith, Stewart Greacen, Martin Grehan, Alan Lithgow) and a mish-mash of youngsters discarded by bigger clubs - compare it to, say, Dunfermline Athletic or even Forfar Athletic and I don't think they compare.

I'd be hugely surprised if the team were involved in a fight to avoid relegation but I'd be equally shocked if we were competing to win the title. A play-off place would be smashing but I'd reckon we're an outside shout more than anything else right now.

Agree completely with Fabregas. Without two genuine quality centre mids, I think we'll struggle in the centre of the park.

Currently Kris Faulds is partnering Hodge and to be quite honest, he's garboose. I was disappointed when he was retained/signed.

Settle.

Unless a couple of solid central midfielders are brought into the club, I reckon we'll be looking for a repeat of last season's mid-table finish. Look at the squad - a handful of hardened campaigners (Ross McMillan, Chris Smith, Stewart Greacen, Martin Grehan, Alan Lithgow) and a mish-mash of youngsters discarded by bigger clubs - compare it to, say, Dunfermline Athletic or even Forfar Athletic and I don't think they compare.

I'd be hugely surprised if the team were involved in a fight to avoid relegation but I'd be equally shocked if we were competing to win the title. A play-off place would be smashing but I'd reckon we're an outside shout more than anything else right now.

I get the impression he's quoting something official...

Edit: or he's confusing you with what has been stated by Ayr.

I was. Stenhousemuir and Scott Booth both have play-off as their minimum for season 2014-2015.

Of the current squad assembled I assume Booth's on the tonic if he has said that.

Desperately short in centre midfield and no established right back.

I would say Summers will be a gem and Josh Watt will be amongst the best attacking players in the division though.

Archived