The Airdrieonians Close Season Thread 2014

Airdrie fans are slowly realising the Bollan express is being derailed as key players leave.

Pleasing

Wishful thinking or your part old fruit. Bollan inherited the worst team in the history of Airdrieonians and with a few additions turned it into probably the second best team in the league, all in a matter of a few weeks. Just think what he will produce with the whole of the summer to prepare.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To be fair, a bit like Ayr, it is a bit squeeky-bum for Airdrie fans at the moment.

There is no denying the impressive impact Bollan had but, clearly, the players who made the difference have mostly left and the budget concerns as expressed by your own fans creates a situation where you can't be too confident about the coming season.

It's going to take a bit until your squad is mostly determined, before you can have any confidence about where next season is going. I certainly thought Airdrie were on the verge of building something but there's been a definite back step happening.

Time will tell but I am not convinced there is any cause for optimism at the moment - other than Bollan is clearly a good coach.

Wishful thinking or your part old fruit. Bollen inherited the worst team in the history of Airdrieonians and with a few additions turned it into probably the second best team in the league, all in a matter of a few weeks. Just think what he will produce with the whole of the summer to prepare.

For Christ's sake: Bollan!

To be fair, a bit like Ayr, it is a bit squeeky-bum for Airdrie fans at the moment.

There is no denying the impressive impact Bollan had but, clearly, the players who made the difference have mostly left and the budget concerns as expressed by your own fans creates a situation where you can't be too confident about the coming season.

It's going to take a bit until your squad is mostly determined, before you can have any confidence about where next season is going. I certainly thought Airdrie were on the verge of building something but there's been a definite back step happening.

Time will tell but I am not convinced there is any cause for optimism at the moment - other than Bollan is clearly a good coach.

Good post.

The thing about Bollan was though, within weeks of taking the hotseat he had sourced a few players in Milojevic and Barr that were key, Buchanan, Lister were already with us and Grant Adam already had a connection to the club. It's his obvious Talent for bringing out better performances in players that's key. I'm confident with the bulk of the squad and with 5 or 6 faces of the calibre Bollans looking at, Airdrie will be fine.

So far we've actually only lost Barr (big loss) and McAleer (would have liked him to stay but replaceable) - that we wanted to keep - I think. If the rest don't sign then it might be time to panic but let's wait and see. In any case last season was less about individual players and more to do with Bollan. As above, I've got faith he's got the contacts and knowledge to make good signings.

Sorry to see Buchanan and Barr go as they were part of an Airdrie team that was starting to show real promise in actually doing something and a joy to watch. But although Buchanan under Bollan was definitely a vastly improved player helped by the better players that Bollan had brought in to play around him, especially Barr who was protecting the back four. Under Boyle, Buchanan was part of a team that was losing 3 goals a game, so was he a legend at Airdrie that is irreplaceable? I don't think so. I am sure the full time training at Dunfermline should help him become a more consistent performer, is Jeffries the right man to improve him? Only time will tell. As for McAlleer again was showing real potential in a team that had confidence they weren't going to lose. But sometimes he disappeared and you forgot he was on the pitch, if this guy was the real deal Partick wouldn't have freed him.

Airdrie are at a place now where every year we have 6 to 8 players leave and new players come in. Lets hope that the players that Bollan brings in are far better than the guff that Boyle and Black signed who they thought who could do a job. Bollan has his work cut out with the Budget he probably has, lets hope he can do miracles once more and prove he is the good Manager we all thought he was at the end of last season.Lets just see what our final squad is this year.

Has grant Adam re-signed? Airdrie might have finished the season well but they've lost there 3, maybe 4, best players.

No.

Our fanbase voted Lister POTY and he's re-signed. My personal POTY, Buchanan has gone as has Barr, so really that's 2 from 3 gone.

McAleer was young and fairly talented but frequently fell out of games. That's really all the news about our first team we have currently.

At the moment, we've offered most of the squad terms, but, as is their prerogative, some are mulling over what we've offered and may be trying to get deals elsewhere.

Personally, I'm not at all concerned at all. Plenty teams have dumped lots of players and I'd expect players to come on board before pre-season starts. I've got trust in the manager to bring in some players who are capable at this level.

The days of building a successful team over a two or three year period seems to be a thing of the past for most teams at this level. The hope for us is that BollAn will be able to sign replacements that will allow us to continue where we left off last season.

Our good run of form last season was based on being solid at the back - which was mainly down to Buchanan, Milojevic, Barr and Adam. 2 of those have left and the others have yet to re-sign. We were still pretty turgid going forward last season so if we can't re- strengthen the defence we'll be in trouble.

Bollan did do an excellent job last season, but his record until he started to bring in some good players was just as bad as Boyle's. The turnaround was to a large extent down to getting new, better players in. If he can't do the same this summer then we'll be back down the bottom again as although he's a very good manager he's not a miracle worker.

I'd be putting everything we've got into keeping Adam or getting another high quality goalie in, even if that means having to sacrifice elsewhere. It's the most important position on the park and we've had constant bother with that position for years now.

If we get a strong goal keeper in I'd be hopeful of a top 4 finish of course but if not i really do fear for the season ahead. If getting rid of mcaleer etc can free up wages for Adam or as DAF says another quality keeper then I'd be happy as except Adam we have had some really terrible keepers throughout the years

On the Bain front: I think he was lucky to be playing under Bollan at all. Bollan was the only manager to come in and tell him that he will play right back or nowhere on the basis that he told Jimmy that he wanted to play right wing, and Jimmy wasn't strong enough to say no. O'Neill is a ready replacement and looked good towards the end of the season.

Archived