The Airdrieonians Close Season Thread 2014

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Our good run of form last season was based on being solid at the back - which was mainly down to Buchanan, Milojevic, Barr and Adam.

Disagree. I personally think moving McCormack out of the back four and into a position just infront of them, to protect them, had more of an impact on the defence than Craig Barr did. Barr was an important signing, no doubt, but the contribution of McCormack has been overlooked.

worried about all this "believe in Bollan", "Bollan will find the players..." patter. Bollan did a good professional job turning things around after his 9+ game losing streak. And that was down to the quality of some of the players he brought in: Adam, Milosevic and Barr. Those are the kind of players Airdrie can sign in the winter window when you have unsettled players looking for a few months of a rental to get themselves a move. They won't sign for buttons at the start of the season. Bollan had a great run, but Stewart (2004), Black and Boyle have had major 2nd half of season turnarounds that a few seem to be ignoring in hindsight.

Bollan's first signing looks to be of dubious quality (Fitzpatrick) who should be a LM. We now have no goalie (this should've been Duncan's turn), looking at O'Neill at RB, Paddy at LB (great signing by Boyle, real quality), but nothing in CD. Evans was a better player than Buchanan but constantly injured, our best CD is actually young Grant Drummond but he was out for 6months with a knee injury. In CM we're likely to have Blockley and Liam Watt competing for places but we'll need at least one Barr type of player. Would the be the DAZaster? He spent last year on twitter moaning that our pitch was wrecking his back. i'm not sure he's coming back. We have a major loss on the RM, McAleer was excellent last season, real injection of pace that will be missed. Maybe Liam Watt becomes the RM?

Up front we'll be glad to see back of the hopeless Coult, but there are no guarantees that John Boyle will be back and in form. Lister came good after a mediocre first few months of the season and should continue to do a good job. Parker scored 1 goal in around 20 games from open play (an easy tap in after excellent work from McLaren), with a penalty gifted to him and a peach of a free kick. That's not great striking by any means, parker's best work was on the fringes. Coogans is our greatest asset, he's got great pace, movement, finishing, etc., but Bollan seemed to be giving him very little chances to impress which seems a massive waste of a talent, his biggest workout of the season was the last game where he showed impressive ability in only 20mins. This really should be Coogans major breakthrough year, and Kyle Richford should stake a claim too.

But Bollan has his work cut out now. He has a few good parts to work with but he could suffer the same fate as Boyle in recent years by having to raid the bargain bins.

worried about all this "believe in Bollan", "Bollan will find the players..." patter. Bollan did a good professional job turning things around after his 9+ game losing streak. And that was down to the quality of some of the players he brought in: Adam, Milosevic and Barr. Those are the kind of players Airdrie can sign in the winter window when you have unsettled players looking for a few months of a rental to get themselves a move. They won't sign for buttons at the start of the season. Bollan had a great run, but Stewart (2004), Black and Boyle have had major 2nd half of season turnarounds that a few seem to be ignoring in hindsight.

Bollan's first signing looks to be of dubious quality (Fitzpatrick) who should be a LM. We now have no goalie (this should've been Duncan's turn), looking at O'Neill at RB, Paddy at LB (great signing by Boyle, real quality), but nothing in CD. Evans was a better player than Buchanan but constantly injured, our best CD is actually young Grant Drummond but he was out for 6months with a knee injury. In CM we're likely to have Blockley and Liam Watt competing for places but we'll need at least one Barr type of player. Would the be the DAZaster? He spent last year on twitter moaning that our pitch was wrecking his back. i'm not sure he's coming back. We have a major loss on the RM, McAleer was excellent last season, real injection of pace that will be missed. Maybe Liam Watt becomes the RM?

Up front we'll be glad to see back of the hopeless Coult, but there are no guarantees that John Boyle will be back and in form. Lister came good after a mediocre first few months of the season and should continue to do a good job. Parker scored 1 goal in around 20 games from open play (an easy tap in after excellent work from McLaren), with a penalty gifted to him and a peach of a free kick. That's not great striking by any means, parker's best work was on the fringes. Coogans is our greatest asset, he's got great pace, movement, finishing, etc., but Bollan seemed to be giving him very little chances to impress which seems a massive waste of a talent, his biggest workout of the season was the last game where he showed impressive ability in only 20mins. This really should be Coogans major breakthrough year, and Kyle Richford should stake a claim too.

But Bollan has his work cut out now. He has a few good parts to work with but he could suffer the same fate as Boyle in recent years by having to raid the bargain bins.

Andy Duncan is a poor poor keeper hence being just released by relegated Pollok. I really don't get why people think McCormack was that bad he did ok at CM and formed a good partnership with Barr. He is good protection for the CBs. Would love an attacking midfielder like Stevenson back. If Adam leaves it would be disastrous imo. Can't blame him tho obviously loves it airdrie but I wouldn't blame him going to Hamilton.

Andy Duncan is a poor poor keeper hence being just released by relegated Pollok. I really don't get why people think McCormack was that bad he did ok at CM and formed a good partnership with Barr. He is good protection for the CBs. Would love an attacking midfielder like Stevenson back. If Adam leaves it would be disastrous imo. Can't blame him tho obviously loves it airdrie but I wouldn't blame him going to Hamilton.

Agree about Andy Duncan, no idea why some of our fans were so desperate for him to play when he was with us, nowhere near good enough.

To be fair to Duncan, he was clearly a better 'keeper than Colin fucking Stewart. I'm actually not too sure how anyone can make a judgement on him unless they were watching the reserves. He did OK at Ibrox and was sent off in his other start that I remember.

On the subject of 'keepers, we've had some horror shows over the past few years. All we need is Calum Antell to sign and we've completed the entire set.

He's a winger

I'm sure he's a winger

He may have been at one point, ten years ago, but he's not any more. You might be able to get away with playing him as a wide midfielder, but he's not no pace and he won't beat a man. He always looked more assured in the middle of the park for us.

He passes the ball well enough, doesn't give it away too often, but he's not incisive going forward (I think he scored twice in his time at the Rovers, and he wasn't piling up assists either) and I wouldn't be expecting him to muck in with the defensive side of things either.

Might do a job in the Second Division, but I wasn't at all surprised to see him in the Highland League after he left us.

I'm sure he's a winger

He most certainly isn't. He's a centre midfielder who can play as a left midfielder. Of all the attributes you look for in a winger, he has precisely zero of them.

He actually has the attributes to be a decent CM, but he'll forever be woeful if he's played on the left. He more or less never played in the middle for us, though he actually did alright when he did despite concerns that his tendency to go missing would see us punished.

Archived