The Famous Aberdeen's European Tour 2014/15

Of course. No goal scoring opportunity was lost. Thats why it was only a yellow, as are most last man tackles inside the box.

Everyone else saw this too, right? :huh:

Anyway, Aberdeen looked good in patches there, difficult to assess them properly since they wear chasing it from the get go and were bound to be caught at some point, especially by a team as good as Sociedad.

Some good players in that Dons team - was impressed by Logan, other than his tackle for the penalty, Pawlett was decent though not up to last year's standard, and Goodwillie looked more of a threat in that game than he did in 6 months with us last year.

Dons are definitely the main challengers to Celtic this season, not looking forward to Sunday.

• Replies 891
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Everyone else saw this too, right? :huh:

Anyway, Aberdeen looked good in patches there, difficult to assess them properly since they wear chasing it from the get go and were bound to be caught at some point, especially by a team as good as Sociedad.

Some good players in that Dons team - was impressed by Logan, other than his tackle for the penalty, Pawlett was decent though not up to last year's standard, and Goodwillie looked more of a threat in that game than he did in 6 months with us last year.

Dons are definitely the main challengers to Celtic this season, not looking forward to Sunday.

Yes, the guy going through would likely have scored, and was brought down. However, the goal scoring opportunity wasn't lost, due to getting a penalty. Clear enough no? Most referees interpret the rule this way, judging by the amount of yellows given for fouls in the box when a player is clean through.

The penalty is a different goal scoring opportunity, as is a free kick on the edge of the box if the foul is committed there.

Had the foul not been committed, he had a goal scoring opportunity, which he was denied as a result of the foul.

Where do you think the argument about triple punishment of penalty, red card, suspension comes from?

The penalty is a different goal scoring opportunity, as is a free kick on the edge of the box if the foul is committed there.

Had the foul not been committed, he had a goal scoring opportunity, which he was denied as a result of the foul.

Where do you think the argument about triple punishment of penalty, red card, suspension comes from?

Sweet jesus, i'm just explaining the refs reasoning. They have discretion in these situations, the referee decided the goalscoring opportunity wasn't lost, so no red card, because clearly the ref only gave a yellow. Do players get sent off as last man conceding penalties, sometimes. Do players only get yellows as last man, sometimes. Its inconsistent, and quite annoying, but both are within the rules.

I'm not really sure what point you are trying to make.

Cracking atmosphere and a respectable scoreline, can't really ask for more than that. McInnes gambled in the last 10 minutes and we lost the game, but he had to give it a go.

Not sure how that was only 17,700 but I hope we get some similar crowds for the domestic games this season. Hopefully next year we won't get the worst possible draw at every turn.

Only reason Aberdeen lost is that they were chasing goals in the final few minutes. Had 2-1 been enough I think they would have seen it out easily enough.

They look a very good team this season and more than capable of going toe to toe with teams far better than anything we have in Scotland.

Great game, pretty gutting to end up losing after playing so well against a team with 10x our budget. I would have taken a 2-1 win but I don't suppose you can criticise McInnes for going for it late on. Didn't think throwing a centre half on up front was a great move though. I thought Logan was great apart from giving away the pen. He was fortunate to stay on the pitch but seems kinda pathetic a Caley & Utd fan were so eager for us to lose.

seems kinda pathetic a Caley & Utd fan were so eager for us to lose.

Sums them up really Dundee fans are bitter and Inverness have no fans. Both getting pumped this season.

We restored some pride in Scottish football tonight. The score flattered them but the better team Go through.

Just a shame all the other teams in Scotland are dragging us down. . .

Sums them up really Dundee fans are bitter and Inverness have no fans. Both getting pumped this season.

We restored some pride in Scottish football tonight. The score flattered them but the better team Go through.

Just a shame all the other teams in Scotland are dragging us down. . .

^^^ actual tears

Nae luck Aberdeen, beaten by a good side. Hope it continues into the weekend!

No shame in that result, another really good performance from Aberdeen.

Reynolds and Logan were excellent. Goodwillie looked decent but doesn't strike me as someone who is going to bang them in this season. Hopefully he continues to improve.

Superb build up from McGinn for the second goal.

Flood's passing was awful at times, he just couldn't pick out a man. Apart from that, no complaints.

Overall, some good experience gained for the squad and some decent income for the club with three busy home games, it's been a very enjoyable wee run for our first European jaunt in five years.

Roll on Sunday :)

Great game last night. Don't think Dons could have done much more, except Flood who was abysmal, especially first half. Play like that and you'll have no problem strolling to second, maybe challenging Celtic depending on how long they keep Deila.

Obviously the 6 points dropped against Caley won't do you any help.

You local (but possibly non-existent) Caley fan.

here are the goals on youtube for anyone who missed it or wants to see them again

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=PBJ0xkTSphc#t=41

top class different perspective on that clip.

well done to Socieadad - obviously a class above and fully deserved to go through.

Well done to Aberdeen - gave it a bloody good go.Lots to be pleased about.

f**k off to whoever dreamed up the vuvuzela idea

Aye can't remember the name of the company that supplied them. But whatever it is i'm buying nome of their shite. My ears, oh my ears.

Despite those horns of satan what a cracking atmosphere and team performance. I have calmed down enough to think that based on the two games i've watched this week we will only manage a 5-10 point winning margin over sellik in the league. Have to be realistic

Archived