Partick Thistle General Chatter: 2014/15

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

These insipid displays of attacking plays will hopefully put to bed the fanciful talk of a top 6 berth this season. St Johnstone are a workmanlike team with an ability to play out games when they take a lead. They are well established in the top flight level and have a core of their team that have been playing at that level for a good few seasons in the main. Mackay, Wright and Anderson have all been there for years, in fact.

I can see why they have lowish crowds as while effective it ain't pretty on the eye from the games I've seen between us so far on our top flight return. Indeed I've witnessed them all including the abandoned game at Firhill.

They are defo a team we struggle against with our current crab possesion style of football and no game between the sides has yielded more than two goals in total. Indeed their victory today was their first two goal margin of victory since the cup final apparently.

Essentially the bottom line is we are still a relative novice at this level from the chairman down to the manager, office staff, coaches and players.

Don't get me wrong we have ability and some very good players but achieving 10th place is the goal for this season in my eyes allowing for any last day swings which may shift us up towards the seventh place in the league.

On paper we have better players than some teams we will be finishing below. No idea what will pan out but I can see us ending up 9th or 10th come season's end.

The sooner we reach that goal the better in terms of being able to retain our players on new contracts.

Quick turnaround looking towards wednesday against Accies, a game we should win or at least draw. Their club has recentish top flight experience but they have really exceled in adding the likes of Tena, #22 and McGovern to their youthful squad. Livi and later Hamilton themselves probably imoressed me the most out of our last couple of seasons in the second tier so I'm not totaly surprised by their excellent first half of the season. Tbey've had a couple of losses since Neil left so either we do our usual and a team breaks their run of bad luck against us or in this case I feel we can actualy compound their dip by grabbing all three points.

Anyway, Rome wasn't built in a day but we can do a lot better than today!

Quick turnaround looking towards wednesday against Accies, a game we should win or at least draw

Is that based on fact we've lost today, our aversion to back to back results of any kind, dictates we can't lose our next game?

Or is it based on fact of previous results against them?

Or our comparative league positions, or even based on formbook of past six or eight games?

Just curious.

Is that based on fact we've lost today, our aversion to back to back results of any kind, dictates we can't lose our next game?

Or is it based on fact of previous results against them?

Or our comparative league positions, or even based on formbook of past six or eight games?

Just curious.

#FACT

Option1 ;)

The most frustrating thing for me just now is the McMillan situation. We could actually have a fully fit squad for the game on Wednesday night, but due to issues that still remain unresolved since 'personal reasons' were cited after the ICT game over a month ago, McMillan will be unavailable and it will f**k up the balance of the team. The explanation given once/if this all comes out needs to account for 1.) why he was left out of the team and subsequently suspended in the first place, and whether or not the decision was justifiable, and 2.) why it took so long for the issue to be addressed head-on, while the team chucked in needless goals from the left back position.

It's the last point that's particularly worrying, as it seems to be a bit of a theme. The left back issue has been obvious for over a year and yet still hasn't been properly addressed head on (aside from Jake Carroll who was clearly a 'well he'll just have to do' last minute resort). Were we to address these relatively minor issues then I believe we'd have an impressive looking, well-balanced team that would give us at least an occasional show of consistency to keep us well clear of the bottom two. We might still be tactically inflexible, but at least we wouldn't be chucking away some of the silly points that we have done.

These insipid displays of attacking plays will hopefully put to bed the fanciful talk of a top 6 berth this season. St Johnstone are a workmanlike team with an ability to play out games when they take a lead. They are well established in the top flight level and have a core of their team that have been playing at that level for a good few seasons in the main. Mackay, Wright and Anderson have all been there for years, in fact.

I can see why they have lowish crowds as while effective it ain't pretty on the eye from the games I've seen between us so far on our top flight return. Indeed I've witnessed them all including the abandoned game at Firhill.

They are defo a team we struggle against with our current crab possesion style of football and no game between the sides has yielded more than two goals in total. Indeed their victory today was their first two goal margin of victory since the cup final apparently.

Essentially the bottom line is we are still a relative novice at this level from the chairman down to the manager, office staff, coaches and players.

Don't get me wrong we have ability and some very good players but achieving 10th place is the goal for this season in my eyes allowing for any last day swings which may shift us up towards the seventh place in the league.

On paper we have better players than some teams we will be finishing below. No idea what will pan out but I can see us ending up 9th or 10th come season's end.

The sooner we reach that goal the better in terms of being able to retain our players on new contracts.

Quick turnaround looking towards wednesday against Accies, a game we should win or at least draw. Their club has recentish top flight experience but they have really exceled in adding the likes of Tena, #22 and McGovern to their youthful squad. Livi and later Hamilton themselves probably imoressed me the most out of our last couple of seasons in the second tier so I'm not totaly surprised by their excellent first half of the season. Tbey've had a couple of losses since Neil left so either we do our usual and a team breaks their run of bad luck against us or in this case I feel we can actualy compound their dip by grabbing all three points.

Anyway, Rome wasn't built in a day but we can do a lot better than today!

A couple of thoughts here, Jagfox. I think it's a little generous to describe those at the club as relative novices. Relative to whom? Alex Neil? Novice as in not deserving of an arse booting when the basics - by all appearances - are not being seen to? Are our chairman and the Invisible Man novices in business? I don't think so. (Please don't mistake this for an inquiry into why there hasn't been a commercial bonanza at the club.)

I have spent the past two seasons baffled by how a team coached by the two best Thistle defenders in recent memory can be so bloody sloppy at times. The coaching is either right or wrong. Tactics are either right or wrong. The players are either giving it everything or not paying attention to what they're told. When it comes to the latter, that's a matter of discipline. I think the truth of the situation resides in a combination of all of the above and responsibility for solving that lies squarely with the manager. Archie has been a trainee, player, internationalist, coach and manager at Thistle for the best part of 20 years. The babe in the woods routine doesn't apply.

Scouting out three prospective loans but unaware none of them are eligible. Really? One, yes. Three?

Apropos coaching, do you know who, if anyone, coaches the forwards?

The most frustrating thing for me just now is the McMillan situation. We could actually have a fully fit squad for the game on Wednesday night, but due to issues that still remain unresolved since 'personal reasons' were cited after the ICT game over a month ago, McMillan will be unavailable and it will f**k up the balance of the team. The explanation given once/if this all comes out needs to account for 1.) why he was left out of the team and subsequently suspended in the first place, and whether or not the decision was justifiable, and 2.) why it took so long for the issue to be addressed head-on, while the team chucked in needless goals from the left back position.

It's the last point that's particularly worrying, as it seems to be a bit of a theme. The left back issue has been obvious for over a year and yet still hasn't been properly addressed head on (aside from Jake Carroll who was clearly a 'well he'll just have to do' last minute resort). Were we to address these relatively minor issues then I believe we'd have an impressive looking, well-balanced team that would give us at least an occasional show of consistency to keep us well clear of the bottom two. We might still be tactically inflexible, but at least we wouldn't be chucking away some of the silly points that we have done.

This.

Is anyone else bored with our team?

The whole set up is a shambles. We play in the highest league in our country and we have one recognised full back available. Someone else mentioned that as a club we are at our peak and I completely agree. Depressing.

I saw this on WAT. He's pretty much spot on.

The only think I'd change is that we are at our peak with Archie.

A couple of thoughts here, Jagfox. I think it's a little generous to describe those at the club as relative novices. Relative to whom? Alex Neil? Novice as in not deserving of an arse booting when the basics - by all appearances - are not being seen to? Are our chairman and the Invisible Man novices in business? I don't think so. (Please don't mistake this for an inquiry into why there hasn't been a commercial bonanza at the club.)

I have spent the past two seasons baffled by how a team coached by the two best Thistle defenders in recent memory can be so bloody sloppy at times. The coaching is either right or wrong. Tactics are either right or wrong. The players are either giving it everything or not paying attention to what they're told. When it comes to the latter, that's a matter of discipline. I think the truth of the situation resides in a combination of all of the above and responsibility for solving that lies squarely with the manager. Archie has been a trainee, player, internationalist, coach and manager at Thistle for the best part of 20 years. The babe in the woods routine doesn't apply.

Scouting out three prospective loans but unaware none of them are eligible. Really? One, yes. Three?

Apropos coaching, do you know who, if anyone, coaches the forwards?

No forward coach as far as I'm aware. The last one did okay but his agency role caused a bit of consternation.

I find our lack of goal threat more frustrating than the defensive lapse to a degree. How many times have we failed to break down a team or miss chances after taking the lead.

This almost invites the opposition on to us leading to goals in a good few goals.

It also leaves us struggling in games where we go a goal down.

We've come back to draw games where we've gone behind but not won any this season?

Discipline is an issue and we've given away soft free kicks which have led to a few crucial goals for the opposition.

We are top of the league in the bad boy charts for bookings and red cards.

I don't think we're in anyway dirty but maybe naive. This is maybe a better description than novices in some of the points I raised.

Saintees probably committed as many fouls but got away with bookings and even fouls.

We are new to the top flight that is my main point.

The board have made various mistakes in my eyes.

The same can be said of the management and players.

This should improve over the coming seasons IF we can maintain our premiership status.

Loads of room for improvement at every department of the club I reckon!

Some green shoots but we have been out the top flight our infrastructure is miles behind some of the teams around us.

Come on now JagFox. Yesterday the only person saints should have gotten booked was Lappin. Other than that, you basically got the majority of decisions for you.

Still it's all conjuncture and irrelevant now.

Come on now JagFox. Yesterday the only person saints should have gotten booked was Lappin. Other than that, you basically got the majority of decisions for you.

Still it's all conjuncture and irrelevant now.

I notice you have three games in six days including yesterday's game.

It was nice of us to give you an easy game to get the ball rolling m9.

Thing is, the club's at that stage where it can't really be comfortable as a top flight entity but it's still Championship material in a lot of other ways. This is certainly the difficult second album phase for Thistle or like being 15 years old, skint and watching the world unfold before your eyes.

What to do? Well, take care of business on and off the park for a start. I've really enjoyed Thistle under Jackie and Alan, even with some of the hare brained defending, myopic goal keeping and shot shy attacking. That is not all the story.

According to sports journalist Pete O'Rourke on twitter - Abdul Osman has rejected a new deal.

When does his deal expire? End of season or January?

Would love him to be missing when we next play you. #baller

I also expect Hartley to get an offer in, he is just what is missing from our midfield IMO. Would further expect Abdul to tell him to bolt :(

Archived