Partick Thistle General Chatter: 2014/15

Fair points...

Not sure who we'd be looking to take if that were the case

As is that.

I didn't realise Graham and Murray were on loan to St Johnstone and Arbroath until the end of the season, nor did I fully appreciate the game time guys like Spittal and Connolly were getting.

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I see that Melvin De Leeuw is still available. Sure I read somewhere (not sure how credible) that he was open to continuing his career in Scotland despite the chat being that he was returning to Holland when he left County. Would certainly fit the bill for us and could be an ideal replacement for Higginbotham, should he leave as expected at the end of the season.

I expect us to be in the mix to sign Tidser and another full-back; like the boy Holt at Queen of the South but wouldn't have thought he'd be available until the end of the season and even then, he'll most likely have other potential suitors.

I don't think we need many new faces this window, it's not like last January where the squad needed some extensive surgery to rectify a few problems. Only a couple are needed to freshen things up and give a bit more competition for places so I wouldn't be worrying just yet. What I think we do need rather urgently is some recruitment assistance for Archie; the loans mentioned in the ET today should be something someone picked up on to ensure we aren't wasting time on scouting ineligible players.

Think I read on the County thread that RCFC still hold De Leeuw's registration and won't release him to another Scottish club.

I see that Melvin De Leeuw is still available.

Bunglebonce said yesterday on the St. Mirren thread that County hold his registration until the end of the season and aren't willing to release it to another Scottish Club.

I'd have been happy with him, Arquin and a left back.

Wilson would be decent enough but I still don't think we should let SOD go before the summer just to cash in on him. The sale of him would only be acceptable if the money is used to allow Archie to bring in someone he has targeted.

The lack of signing news has been frustrating.

I get that there's no point in bring in guys for the sake of it like a half fit George Moncur or a shitty Hendoc Mukendi but it just comes across like the board are being tight as f**k because we are ahead of relegation.

We generally keep things quite until they have been completed so I am always hopeful.

Archie's already said we've tried to bring in guys on loan last week, but it turns out they've already played for 3 clubs this season so can't. Hardly the fault of the board. We brought in good players during the summer and will do so again, wish our fans would stop being so anxious when it comes to transfer windows.

Archie's already said we've tried to bring in guys on loan last week, but it turns out they've already played for 3 clubs this season so can't. Hardly the fault of the board.

Not the board, but the the GM perhaps. It smack of amateurism.

Think I read on the County thread that RCFC still hold De Leeuw's registration and won't release him to another Scottish club.

Bunglebonce said yesterday on the St. Mirren thread that County hold his registration until the end of the season and aren't willing to release it to another Scottish Club.

Ah well, that'll put that idea to bed then. Perhaps something to consider in the summer as I think he'd suit us quite well.

Archie's already said we've tried to bring in guys on loan last week, but it turns out they've already played for 3 clubs this season so can't. Hardly the fault of the board. We brought in good players during the summer and will do so again, wish our fans would stop being so anxious when it comes to transfer windows.

Archie is scraping around looking for loans because of his budget.

I don't expect the board to fork out crazy wages for guys like Dean Shiels but it sounds like they need to open up a bit and allow him to target more players.

I'd be disappointed if we couldn't even at least look at Arquin and Tidser.

we don't need to just go for loans though from down south there's free agents eg Michael tidser who could probably do a shift or loans up here Liam Henderson Celtic etc

also, not sure what the rule is with compensation re: O'Donnell. If he leaves at the end of his contract he'll have just turned 23 which means like ATS we're entitled to bugger all, but I'm guessing that offering a pre-contract before he turns 23- as seen in the Richie Brittain case- effectively means nothing, and as such we would still be entitled to nothing?

Could be total bullshit, but I seem to remember there being something about compensation ages being different if a player signs for a team belonging to a different Football Association from the club from which they are departing. I can't remember whether the relevant age for compensation eligibility was one year higher or lower in an ATS-style situation. If it is an extra year domestically, O'Donnell would potentially still be within the training compensation window.

Could be total bullshit, but I seem to remember there being something about compensation ages being different if a player signs for a team belonging to a different Football Association from the club from which they are departing. I can't remember whether the relevant age for compensation eligibility was one year higher or lower in an ATS-style situation. If it is an extra year domestically, O'Donnell would potentially still be within the training compensation window.

What I remember from last year was that in England- England transfers the compensation age cap is 24 not 23 but in Scotland-Scotland transfers or cross border transfers it's 23.

What I was thinking but looking for confirmation of is that a PCA is essentially useless legally, which is why I mentioned Brittain.

De Leeuw always impressed me when he played against us and could not understand (other than the Adams factor) why he never got a regular game with them. We could do worse than offer him a pre contract for next season

De Leeuw always impressed me when he played against us and could not understand (other than the Adams factor) why he never got a regular game with them. We could do worse than offer him a pre contract for next season

I thought it was just the Adams factor, but McIntyre didn't fancy him that much either (or, possibly, his wanting home had a big part to play in that). We all thought there were vague fitness issues too, but a squad member told me after de Leeuw left that he wasn't carrying an injury.

Could this be due to the whole Ashton Lane incident?

I don't know full details of it, but was he not a neutral party in that and got fined for being out the night before a reserve game?

He was injured at the start of the season, played against Thistle in the DL to build up his fitness and has been on the bench recently for United.

Scott Burns @ScottBurns75

Mark Wilson leaves @dundeeunitedfc He was offered to @ThistleTweet's in exchange for Stephen O'Donnell. Could he end up at Thistle or Hibs?

I take it then Thistle say must have said naw to the swap?

Quite right. Chancing b*****ds.

Now sign Wilson for LB.

Archived