The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

56 minutes ago, Illgresi said:

Somewhat worrying the general theme of that (albeit I'm only 5 minutes in), that the team is nearly done.

Some significant areas of concern within the squad remain.

Whilst I don't agree with the "if we lined them all up today and announced them there'd be excitement' comments, is there really significant areas of concern?

A centre half and winger then we're basically good to go.

23 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

Whilst I don't agree with the "if we lined them all up today and announced them there'd be excitement' comments, is there really significant areas of concern?

And a striker. I know anyone coming in now is likely to be the 3rd choice but I'd be pretty underwhelmed if we went into the season with just Emmanuel-Thomas and Ramirez as options?

Edited by Rodhull

1 minute ago, Merkland Red said:

Personally I would say we need 2 players for every role in the team. I don't think we have that, and I have questions over a number of the areas we are covered. Presuming we play 4-3-3:

First choice:

Lewis

Gurr  Gallagher   McCrorie  MacKenzie

Ferguson   McGeouch   Brown

McLennan   Emmanuel-Thomas   Hedges

Backups:

Woods

Ramsay   Devlin*   Considine   Hayes

Jenks   Campbell   Ojo

Kennedy   Ramirez   McGinn

There may be others in the squad but those are likely the main options. I'm presuming Gurr will be first choice based on the Glass' chat about giving young players the right amount of game time, and willing to give the chap a chance. We clearly need a first choice centre back to pair with Gallagher, as I don't think McCrorie is a natural there. That said he is much better with the ball than your standard CB so that is maybe where we're going. Happy with MacKenzie at left back. Happy enough with Devlin and Consi as back-ups. I think we need stronger cover at left back, as Hayes was absolutely woeful last season.

Midfield trio doesn't get much stronger in this league imo, but I really feel it lacks creativity. Perhaps Jenks will come in as a no.10. Campbell has potential, but really needs to step up this season. Ojo I don't hold out much hope for.

Happy with Hedges, but one good winger is never enough. We need a right winger who's just as good, or it makes it much easier for the opposition to mark Hedges out of the game. I'm likewise concerned, that another injury to Hedges and we're fucked. I'm not fully convinced by either Emmanuel-Thomas or Ramirez, but I hope to be eating my words come this time next year.

tl:dr

So for now, I'd accept a top class (for this level) centre back and right winger. Ideally we'd similarly have that in the 10 (although we may have already with Jenks...who knows). I also think we're weak for cover down the left.

49 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

21 minutes ago, Illgresi said:

So for now, I'd accept a top class (for this level) centre back and right winger. 

^This pretty much sums it up for me.

Were we really expecting Glass/AFC to come out tonight and specify positions that need strengthened and name the personnel we are looking to bring in tho? Overall a decent fan engagement exercise - youth will play if good enough, attacking football, Investment, Europe etc. even managed to answer the Gurr / Hernandez 1st, 3rd, 4 choice question pretty succinctly.

The only significant area of concern to me was that there were Aberdeen fans dumb enough to ask questions in the live chat of a pre recorded video on YouTube...🤪

I’d say we’re about 2/3 players short with CB being the most pressing issue. After that, I’d like to see a wide player. If they could play up front as well that would kill two birds with one stone.

I think we’re covered at centre mid, although if we sell Ferguson then we should be spending a bit of money on a good quality replacement. I wouldn’t say we have a stand out at either full back position but with McCrorie, Ramsay and Gurr at RB and MacKenzie, Considine and Hayes at LB then we probably have enough there.

Sounds like Gurr will be first-choice right-back from Glass's comments, which does slightly concern me based on his career history to date, but hopefully I will get a pleasant surprise when I see him play. Glass was fairly talking him up, anyway. 

I agree with others about a centre-back, winger and striker being the most pressing priorities, if we are to take some more in. Or even someone who could play both wide and central, kind of in the mould of Watkins. 

I would be a bit surprised if Glass went into next season continuing to play out from the back with the current centre-back options. I suppose he could put McCrorie there so we have someone a bit better with the ball, but I'm still not sure if he is physical enough to be a centre-back in a four. We definitely look one short at the moment in that position, to me. 

1 hour ago, Rodhull said:

And a striker. I know anyone coming in now is likely to be the 3rd choice but I'd be pretty underwhelmed if we went into the season with just Emmanuel-Thomas and Ramirez as options?

We probably need a pacey option. It'll be interesting to see if anyone from the youth setup shows anything in preseason.

@Illgresi and @DrewDon make good points. Didn't quote for the sake of not having big walls of text everywhere and too lazy to snip bits on phone.

I was pleasantly surprised with the questions that were asked, even if they'd been prepped beforehand.

1 hour ago, Illgresi said:

Personally I would say we need 2 players for every role in the team. I don't think we have that, and I have questions over a number of the areas we are covered. Presuming we play 4-3-3:

First choice:

Lewis

Gurr  Gallagher   McCrorie  MacKenzie

Ferguson   McGeouch   Brown

McLennan   Emmanuel-Thomas   Hedges

Backups:

Woods

Ramsay   Devlin*   Considine   Hayes

Jenks   Campbell   Ojo

Kennedy   Ramirez   McGinn

There may be others in the squad but those are likely the main options. I'm presuming Gurr will be first choice based on the Glass' chat about giving young players the right amount of game time, and willing to give the chap a chance. We clearly need a first choice centre back to pair with Gallagher, as I don't think McCrorie is a natural there. That said he is much better with the ball than your standard CB so that is maybe where we're going. Happy with MacKenzie at left back. Happy enough with Devlin and Consi as back-ups. I think we need stronger cover at left back, as Hayes was absolutely woeful last season.

Midfield trio doesn't get much stronger in this league imo, but I really feel it lacks creativity. Perhaps Jenks will come in as a no.10. Campbell has potential, but really needs to step up this season. Ojo I don't hold out much hope for.

Happy with Hedges, but one good winger is never enough. We need a right winger who's just as good, or it makes it much easier for the opposition to mark Hedges out of the game. I'm likewise concerned, that another injury to Hedges and we're fucked. I'm not fully convinced by either Emmanuel-Thomas or Ramirez, but I hope to be eating my words come this time next year.

So for now, I'd accept a top class (for this level) centre back and right winger. Ideally we'd similarly have that in the 10 (although we may have already with Jenks...who knows). I also think we're weak for cover down the left.

Ramirez hasn’t come all the way here, uprooting his family etc, to be a back up.

As we stand, I think it’ll be;

Lewis

McC/Gurr Gallagher Considine MacKenzie

Brown   
       Hedges Ferguson Jenks Hayes

Ramirez 

Cant make up my mind about right back, but Glass was talking up Gurr. Might depend on the opposition. 
If a weaker team & we’re attacking more, maybe Gurr will play then. 

I don’t think Jenks & definitely not Ramirez are here to be subs. 

3 minutes ago, Thenorthernlight said:

Ramirez hasn’t come all the way here, uprooting his family etc, to be a back up.

As we stand, I think it’ll be;

Lewis

McC/Gurr Gallagher Considine MacKenzie

Brown   
       Hedges Ferguson Jenks Hayes

Ramirez 

Cant make up my mind about right back, but Glass was talking up Gurr. Might depend on the opposition. 
If a weaker team & we’re attacking more, maybe Gurr will play then. 

I don’t think Jenks & definitely not Ramirez are here to be subs. 

Aye I meant to mention that a few of those positions it's hard to determine who's going to be the starter. As you mention Ramirez may well be the starter, I only put JE-T there as he's the known quantity.

Can definitely see Brown playing that half back role where he drops in between the CB's to pick up the ball. Presuming Glass still wants us to play out from the back so Brown doing that would make sense. 

I can see Hayes being played as full back more than MacKenzie or Considine. If he wants the same energy Gurr brings in an attacking sense then Hayes is most likely to do that. 

Admittedly, I have no idea what our strongest team is. Which in one sense is exciting but also very concerning at the same time. 

A very very good defender (pace and size) would make a huge difference to the team if he wants to continue playing 2 at the back when we are attacking.

Maybe that could be a loan from an EPL club.

I'd be really surprised if Gurr is good enough to be a starting right-back in the league.  Not even sure he is at the same standard as Jon Gallagher, who was miles off the level required for a top 3 team.

1 minute ago, O_Kahn said:

I'd be really surprised if Gurr is good enough to be a starting right-back in the league.  Not even sure he is at the same standard as Jon Gallagher, who was miles off the level required for a top 3 team.

I think it sounds like we'll get to see him before too long.