The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

30 minutes ago, HunterAFC said:

6'4 box to box midfielder ranked as one of the best in US college football last year. If nothing else he'll add energy.

I can't understand why people are so negative about a player we have never seen. There seems at least reasonable evidence this guy is a good prospect. I agree he is not proven at this level yet and accept the Atlanta scouting hasn't worked out so far, but this would seem a low risk signing with good potential.

7 minutes ago, Don exotic said:

I can't understand why people are so negative about a player we have never seen. There seems at least reasonable evidence this guy is a good prospect. I agree he is not proven at this level yet and accept the Atlanta scouting hasn't worked out so far, but this would seem a low risk signing with good potential.

Agree, go into it with an open mind. 

Folk have been crying out for us to expand our scouting network then when we do it’s instantly negative. Probably due to a cynicism now about anything coming out of America. 

17 minutes ago, Don exotic said:

I'm not feeling overly negative about Dante. If the management team think he's good enough then that's fine. It's their jobs that will be assessed, in part, by the players they sign.

It looks like we're losing Hedges and Ferguson this window, perhaps Ramsey too but he might return on a six month loan.

We haven't been doing particularly well with them in the side, but without suitable replacements we might really struggle again.

I thought in December that we're heading for a league position between 5th and 7th and a Scottish Cup quarter-final if we're lucky with the draw or a semi-final if we're very lucky.

I don't think we're equipped squad wise to do much else and it's going to be nigh impossible for us to leave this window with a stronger squad than we entered it if we lose Hedges, Ferguson and possibly Ramsay.

Therefore, the closing months of the season might just be like last season but without the European placed finish at the end of it.

So we might as well give Dante Polvara a try, I don't think we have much to play for....

Edited by Bogbrush1903

Certainly is a big loon and worth taking a punt on.  Is obviously highly thought of at US college level.  It’s a big jump to play at senior level though so it will be interesting to see if he can make it.  I wouldn’t put too much expectation on him though.  

This'll sound really fucking stupid but I'm always a bit wary of buying the hype of big guys from youth football.

I know nothing of him so he might be class, but i suspect a 6"4 CM playing against kids won't be able to play the same way in senior football.

As I said, I'm aware of how stupid that sounds.

I think New York Cosmos of fitever they are called these days have first dibs on him.  He apparently wants a move away from US.  Don’t know how the visa situation  works with this type of signing mind you.   Hopefully he has a Scottish granny.. 

9 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

This'll sound really fucking stupid but I'm always a bit wary of buying the hype of big guys from youth football.

I know nothing of him so he might be class, but i suspect a 6"4 CM playing against kids won't be able to play the same way in senior football.

Not stupid at all. He seems to have all the attributes to be a decent player but as I mentioned there’s a big big jump from playing us college football to senior level.  We shouldn’t really expect too much from him but hopefully he will adapt quickly and become a big player for us.   

On 07/01/2022 at 01:02, betting competition said:

Aye it is poor compared to Hibs and Motherwell.

Connor Barron just signed an extension would have expected to be an interview about his time at Kelty Hearts. Just a tweet to say he's signed extension and retweet of his post - bet Motherwell and Hibs would do better. They need to look at clubs that do social media well and try and improve.

Maybe they read this thread.

14 minutes ago, Illgresi said:

I suppose the question about this Polvara lad is, if he's one of the best prospects in US college football, why aren't Atlanta after him themselves?

Aye as @Hackett09 said New York City have the MLS rights to him so presumably with them winning the MLS this season they don't feel they need him but have first dibs at him whenever he tries to go back to play in the MLS.

5 minutes ago, Rodhull said:

Aye as @Hackett09 said New York City have the MLS rights to him so presumably with them winning the MLS this season they don't feel they need him but have first dibs at him whenever he tries to go back to play in the MLS.

Aye, I did a bit of reading on the subject. Seems he came through NYCFC's academy before going to play college football which designates him as 'Homegrown'. Meaning, as you correctly state, they retain rights to him within the MLS.

What I can't find is if any compensation is due to NYCFC if the player moves outside the MLS.

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

Not at all. I coach really young players and there's some that find the absolute basics almost impossible but body everyone out the way. 

Also, see Andy Bagshaw.