The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

29 minutes ago, Thenorthernlight said:

Good template for what the scouting should be about.

Sign a player for £100k.

We make a 10 fold profit in one year.

Slight caveat in that we should be aiming to keep players for more than one season where practical & it makes business sense.

The absolute key though is that we can replace them with players of at least the same quality.

Overall, we’re possibly weaker than we were last season & we need good players in asap. 

A couple of defenders & a couple (minimum) of midfielders 

Agree with all of this. A 10 fold profit will surely be an outlier, but is exceptional business, which outweighs the need to manage player turnover in this instance. But we should generally be looking for a couple of seasons at least, and there should always be a succession plan in place!

Squad is looking very thin other than up front.

ETA: Great move for Rama, too. Big league; short hop across the water from home. Good luck to him.

Edited by Ampersand

30 minutes ago, Ampersand said:

Agree with all of this. A 10 fold profit will surely be an outlier, but is exceptional business, which outweighs the need to manage player turnover in this instance. But we should generally be looking for a couple of seasons at least, and there should always be a succession plan in place!

Squad is looking very thin other than up front.

ETA: Great move for Rama, too. Big league; short hop across the water from home. Good luck to him.

McGarry and Scales coming in would have us at 10 decent defenders.

Clearly we need to sign at least 2 midfielders on top of that.

We'll get the majority of that done before long

2 hours ago, Rodhull said:

Are we not still a bit light in the number of home produced players? Surely some more Scots will need to be signed for the European squad at least.

I think we will have 10 players which I think is enough:

Jack Mackenzie
Graeme Shinnie
Connor Barron
Ryan Duncan
Jack Milne
Nicky Devlin
Ross Doohan
Alfie Bavidge
Findlay Marshall
Tom Ritchie (has he went out on loan?)

I make our current position, compared to the squad that ended last season as 13 out and 11 in.  That is balanced 4 v 4 in terms of players that would be regarded as regular starters (or likely to be here in Sep). Jury out on whether others like Polvara can make that step up.

OUT

Gorter, Lewis, McCrorie, Richardson, Coulson, Pollock, Scales, Ramadani, Myslovič, Kennedy, Roberts, Markanday, Watkins.

IN

Doohan, Ritchie, Devlin, Stewart, Milne, Dadia, Rubežić, Ngwenya, Polvara, Besuijen, Sokler.

As things stand, we are most certainly a bit weaker in squad depth and maybe to an extent quality.  Even much of this window felt like it was all about securing Shinnie and the bonus of getting Clarkson on a permanent deal.

However, we were always likely to need to wait until the last few days of the window for 2 or 3 players - but it would also be good to get another 2 or 3 in ahead of that.

Edited by tarapoa

3 hours ago, Thenorthernlight said:

Good template for what the scouting should be about.

Sign a player for £100k.

We make a 10 fold profit in one year.

Slight caveat in that we should be aiming to keep players for more than one season where practical & it makes business sense.

The absolute key though is that we can replace them with players of at least the same quality.

Overall, we’re possibly weaker than we were last season & we need good players in asap. 

A couple of defenders & a couple (minimum) of midfielders 

Good post.

I guess if an offer comes in that meets are asking price it needs to be accepted. 
even if it’s only having a player for a year I much rather sell early than let them run down their contract and lose for nothing or for a smaller fee due to having a year left on a deal 

Squad numbers announced. With 5, 6 and 7 still to be filled hopefully it means first team quality players to come in rather than just squad fillers.

2Nicky Devlin
3 Jack MacKenzie
4 Graeme Shinnie
8 Connor Barron
9 Bojan Miovski
10 Leighton Clarkson
11 Luis Lopes (Duk)
17 Jonny Hayes
18 Rhys Williams
19 Ester Sokler
20 Shayden Morris
21 Dante Polvara
22 Vicente Besuijen
23 Ryan Duncan
24 Kelle Roos
25 Tom Ritchie
26 Anthony Stewart
27 Angus MacDonald
28 Jack Milne
30 Or Dadia
31 Ross Doohan
32 Findlay Marshall
33 Slobodan Rubežić
36 Alfie Bavidge
55 Kieran Ngwenya

2 hours ago, betting competition said:

I think we will have 10 players which I think is enough:

Jack Mackenzie
Graeme Shinnie
Connor Barron
Ryan Duncan
Jack Milne
Nicky Devlin
Ross Doohan
Alfie Bavidge
Findlay Marshall
Tom Ritchie (has he went out on loan?)

Hope so. Thought it was more than that needed for some reason.

Does Slobba have some particular penchant for the Number 33?  - as if the logic of 5,6,7 being reserved for likely regular starters is in place, what on earth is Barron and his petted lip doing at #8 ?

Maybe this is based on how good Barron still thinks he is after a good game for Scotland U-21s a couple of years back?

Edited by tarapoa

22 minutes ago, tarapoa said:

Does Slobba have some particularly penchant for the Number 33?

33 is pretty unique. Number 33 is a Master Number (Master Teacher) and resonates with the energies of compassion, blessings, inspiration, honesty, discipline, bravery and courage. Number 33 tells us that 'all things are possible'. 33 is also the number that symbolizes 'guidance'.

The treble is on lads.

29 minutes ago, tarapoa said:

Does Slobba have some particularly penchant for the Number 33?  - as if the logic of 5,6,7 being reserved for likely regular starters is in place, what on earth is Barron and his petted lip doing at #8 ?

Maybe this is based on how good Barron still thinks he is after a good game for Scotland U-21s a couple of years back?

And MacKenzie at no.3?! Please no. 

That’s the number “Ruby” prefers I think, hence the 33. 

Ultimately the numbers mean little. 

1 hour ago, Rodhull said:

Squad numbers announced. With 5, 6 and 7 still to be filled hopefully it means first team quality players to come in rather than just squad fillers.

2Nicky Devlin
3 Jack MacKenzie
4 Graeme Shinnie
8 Connor Barron
9 Bojan Miovski
10 Leighton Clarkson
11 Luis Lopes (Duk)
17 Jonny Hayes
18 Rhys Williams
19 Ester Sokler
20 Shayden Morris
21 Dante Polvara
22 Vicente Besuijen
23 Ryan Duncan
24 Kelle Roos
25 Tom Ritchie
26 Anthony Stewart
27 Angus MacDonald
28 Jack Milne
30 Or Dadia
31 Ross Doohan
32 Findlay Marshall
33 Slobodan Rubežić
36 Alfie Bavidge
55 Kieran Ngwenya

I look at that squad and think we'll struggle with the amount of games we have. I think there has to be at least 4 players coming in who are starting quality. 

Who knows what sort of quality McGarry has but if he's not up to it then that's another window passed without the left back area addressed. 

For me, we still need a left centre back, 2 midfielders, and an attacking midfielder in the Teklic mould.

2 minutes ago, DunbartonshireRed said:

I look at that squad and think we'll struggle with the amount of games we have. I think there has to be at least 4 players coming in who are starting quality. 

Who knows what sort of quality McGarry has but if he's not up to it then that's another window passed without the left back area addressed. 

For me, we still need a left centre back, 2 midfielders, and an attacking midfielder in the Teklic mould.

The Ramadani replacement is in our league for £300k too.

56 minutes ago, DunbartonshireRed said:

I don't think St Mirren would sell us Baccus for £300k tbh. We'd have to stump up more. Probably closer to £500k for us. 

They agreed £275k with Bolton.

If they ask for a vast amount more, let him leave for f**k all next summer & get someone else.

37 minutes ago, Thenorthernlight said:

They agreed £275k with Bolton.

If they ask for a vast amount more, let him leave for f**k all next summer & get someone else.

I know they agreed £275k with Bolton. Doesn't mean they'd agree that with us. Imagine if we agreed a fee for one of our players with a club outwith our league then the b*****d Garden come calling. We'd obviously want more from them because they are in the same league and we're directly competing with them.