The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

23 minutes ago, Thenorthernlight said:

Someone needs to wake him up. 

This rhetoric from Robson about “we’ll wait until the next window if needs be” is a joke, surely.

We don’t have anywhere near the quantity or quality of squad to deal what we have ahead of us this season.

Fairly certain robson won’t be saying that internally anyway. 

The club will be well aware of the need for signings, but they do need to hold their nerve and not just sign shite or overpay for left sided centre backs from a team in the same league (cough). 

2 hours ago, Thenorthernlight said:

Someone needs to wake him up. 

This rhetoric from Robson about “we’ll wait until the next window if needs be” is a joke, surely.

We don’t have anywhere near the quantity or quality of squad to deal what we have ahead of us this season.

It does piss me off that he's hailed when there's a signing but in hiding when we're getting nothing done.

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

Its not always possible to resolve every issue in one window, tbf.

Are you better waiting for a better player to pop up in 6/12 months and run weak, or get a worse player in on a 3yr deal this Summer?

We're really needing a LCB though. Even a 6 month loan.

Chat that Scales signs today. We'll see.

1 hour ago, Dons_1988 said:

Fairly certain robson won’t be saying that internally anyway. 

The club will be well aware of the need for signings, but they do need to hold their nerve and not just sign shite or overpay for left sided centre backs from a team in the same league (cough). 

Aye. Robson playing it close to chest. Robinson still getting slaughtered by St Mirren fans for announcing a striker has almost signed back in July.

I'm happy with the Scales signing, price dependent. 

1 hour ago, DukDukGoose said:

Chat that Scales signs today. We'll see.

Yeah heard that too although I'm not getting my hopes up on that one. I was told 2-3 months ago he was set to sign permanently only for that to not transpire.

Also as everyone has already mentioned, the rumoured fee seems excessive for a player of his calibre. Aside from Scales, the club seems out of ideas for Left sided centre backs.

28 minutes ago, HarleyQuinn said:

Yeah heard that too although I'm not getting my hopes up on that one. I was told 2-3 months ago he was set to sign permanently only for that to not transpire.

Also as everyone has already mentioned, the rumoured fee seems excessive for a player of his calibre. Aside from Scales, the club seems out of ideas for Left sided centre backs.

Celtic have another body in now though.

Ryan Duncan as a left back is a "brave" choice.

Feel like we'll be very good against the good teams we face and hopeless against everyone else.  Robson is speed-running McInnes' time I think, we're now a very good counter attacking side, which at the end of last season was incredibly successful but now is expected so we did nothing against the likes of Stirling and Livi.

25 minutes ago, Rodhull said:

Robson again talking about “if you can’t get it done this window then maybe next window” so obviously doesn’t sound too confident on getting everyone he’s after.

Well hell mend them if they go with that squad.

They’ll deserve the stick that’ll inevitably come their way. 

The reality is likely to be, Hacken will pap us to the conference league & we’ll not get 3rd place. 

We’re way short. 

We are really missing Pollock and Scales for different reasons. They were both so important in terms of what we did under Robson last season. We are missing Pollock being really good at the defensive fundamentals, but we are also missing Scales' ability to progress the ball on the left. It makes us a much more one-dimensional and predictable team, especially in games where we can't just give up 70% of possession and rely on counter-attacks and transitions.

31 minutes ago, Thenorthernlight said:

Well hell mend them if they go with that squad.

They’ll deserve the stick that’ll inevitably come their way. 

The reality is likely to be, Hacken will pap us to the conference league & we’ll not get 3rd place. 

We’re way short. 

I doubt it means he'll go with the squad as is, I'm guessing they'll end up getting some guys on loan to fill the gaps.

Could still work out short term, after all I don't think Pollock and Macdonald were the results of extensive scouting but yeah it's still obviously a bit of a risk. 

Welsh being on crutches does make Scales going anywhere seem less likely.

Turning into a bit of a farce with scales. 

Celtic bending us over and saying we’ll sell him at our price and at a time of our choosing when we feel we have sufficient cover. 

I get robson likes him and fair enough but go and find an alternative, be proactive with Celtic to get the deal done. He isn’t THAT good. 

1 hour ago, DrewDon said:

We are really missing Pollock and Scales for different reasons. They were both so important in terms of what we did under Robson last season. We are missing Pollock being really good at the defensive fundamentals, but we are also missing Scales' ability to progress the ball on the left. It makes us a much more one-dimensional and predictable team, especially in games where we can't just give up 70% of possession and rely on counter-attacks and transitions.

I find it inconceivable they let Ramadani go & don’t have a replacement in mind.

We were a player short in there before he left FFS.

And hanging on for Scales like he’s Maldini. 
Celtic have 3 fit centre halves, including Scales.  
He’s not coming any time soon.

We go to Hacken with a scratch team. 
Piss poor of the club. 
The fans have done their bit with season tickets, DNA, record shirt sales… the club need to do theirs. 

Yet we’re still pissing around playing MacKenzie, Polvara, Duncan, & Morris?

1 minute ago, Thenorthernlight said:

I find it inconceivable they let Ramadani go & don’t have a replacement in mind.

Piss poor of the club. 
The fans have done their bit with season tickets, DNA, record shirt sales… the club need to do theirs. 

Regarding Scales, I would imagine it is more likely that Robson believes it would be challenging to source a player with the same qualities and profile as him without a significantly bigger outlay and also risk attached. He is quite rare in terms of what he brings on the left of a three. It will have to come to a head at some point, though. 

I did hope we would be looking a bit stronger going into the play-off. I would imagine that Robson will be looking to replicate the Celtic performance, minus some of the bad defending, as far as possible.

7 hours ago, Thenorthernlight said:

Piss poor of the club. 

Have to totally agree with this. The previous mistakes with the squad are haunting this team as the turnover of players is far far too high and it’s proving difficult and very time consuming to recruit so many players. Too many loans and poor signings had left a huge job to sort. 
Meanwhile Goodwin last week was trying to take the credit for his best signing Ramadani. Absolute charlatan.

9 hours ago, Dons_1988 said:

Celtic bending us over and saying we’ll sell him at our price and at a time of our choosing when we feel we have sufficient cover. 

I get robson likes him and fair enough but go and find an alternative, be proactive with Celtic to get the deal done. He isn’t THAT good. 

CCV and Welsh are injured so Scales is the only CB we have at present that knows the league so not sure we will want him to sell him in this window tbh. He might be cup tied too as there is a decent chance he plays tomorrow.

Edited by gannonball

Shayden Morris should spend 40hrs a week training on absolutely nothing other than crossing. Maybe next season he can mix that up a bit with some shooting.

Robson said recently that he wants backroom staff that aren't yes men and will challenge him. Taking that on face value, that means his entire backroom staff last night agreed with him that it was a good idea to finish the game with a backup left back at centre half, and a backup attacking midfielder at left back.

That's either staggering tactical naivety, or staggering stubborness, both of which are a bad sign. Greatest of respect to Stirling, but a better team would have absolutely made us pay for that.

Not quite at pant pishing stage yet, but definitely getting rather concerned.

10 hours ago, Dons_1988 said:

Worry is here the saga goes on and we pull the plug to late without looking at other options and ending up scrambling for someone.

With Mowbray away reminders of Glasses summer with us  

I think we’ve been hamstrung by years of very poor recruitment. We’ve seriously lacked contracted players who you can hang your hat on and build a team around.

Look at Robson’s best 11 from when he took over last season: Roos, McCrorie, Pollock, MacDonald, Scales, Hayes, Clarkson, Shinnie, Ramadani, Duk, Miovski.

4 loanees - 2 of which have now signed

1 short term contract - now signed

4 contracted players in their first season at the club - 1 now sold

2 longer term first team players - 1 now sold and the other is 36 

Outside of this 11, there’s very little quality or experience in the squad.

IMO, we’ve done well to recruit a good few players who should be foundations of the team in the medium term at least: Shinnie, Clarkson, Devlin, Rubezic, MacDonald. It’s not been enough though and I certainly don’t envy the task of those involved trying to bring in a huge number of first team quality players in one window. If we can put together a decent spine to the team, as we seem to have done, it’s means we can focus our efforts more instead of having to sign essentially a whole new team aside from strikers and a goalkeeper.

McInnes, Glass, Goodwin and Mowbray to an extent have a lot to answer for.