The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

17 hours ago, tarapoa said:

An entirely glass half full take on this is that even our better sides this side of the millennium probably only take 5 points from those first five games.

Losing at Tynecastle and against Celtic is normal.  We don’t tend to do well against Robinson teams or on Livi’s pitch.

The loss of the often gimme against Hibs at home is the one that goes against the grain.

For that reason, maybe the time to judge is on the back of a series of more winnable fixtures, which would be at the end of October.

it’s maybe the style of play that’s the biggest concern, all with a lightweight and under resourced midfield, and a congested fixture schedule.

Not sure Mackay, Del, Doc and even Maclean will be doing anything but rubbing their hands at the prospect of those fixtures as things stand right now - but let’s see how they go.

There is an argument for Barry that says 1) he inherited a requirement to overhaul the squad in the summer - not his fault 2) the late nature of the recruitment and missing out on targets at the very least isn’t all his fault, 3) the opening fixtures were very tough on us and 4) the combination of all of the above in conjunction with European games hitting makes it difficult to build a cohesive unit for any coach. 

These are all reasonable mitigations but there is enough evidence out there of his inability to control the things he can control to suggest he isn’t up to the task. The defensive structure is fundamentally flawed, the attacking strategy is ineffective, there doesn’t seem to be a plan B and he doesn’t ever seem to affect games with his changes during the match.

Those are the big concerns which we should be assessing him on beyond results whilst external circumstances continue to challenge us, imo.  

8 hours ago, Dons_1988 said:

There is an argument for Barry that says 1) he inherited a requirement to overhaul the squad in the summer - not his fault 2) the late nature of the recruitment and missing out on targets at the very least isn’t all his fault, 3) the opening fixtures were very tough on us and 4) the combination of all of the above in conjunction with European games hitting makes it difficult to build a cohesive unit for any coach. 

These are all reasonable mitigations but there is enough evidence out there of his inability to control the things he can control to suggest he isn’t up to the task. The defensive structure is fundamentally flawed, the attacking strategy is ineffective, there doesn’t seem to be a plan B and he doesn’t ever seem to affect games with his changes during the match.

Those are the big concerns which we should be assessing him on beyond results whilst external circumstances continue to challenge us, imo.  

I’ll paraphrase for you.

Get an experienced manager in who actually has a CV deserving to be manager of Aberdeen. 

We have been gash all season, other than a half decent performance v Celtic and 20mins away to Hacken. Home to Hacken we had our chances, but were naive as f**k, with multiple players all over the field off it. We were v lucky to win v Binos. Pish v StM. Awful v Hibs, and lucky to draw v Livi ( in no particular order) There is no aspect of our play / recent performances that provide me with any hope for improvement. I really hope we improve and don't sack another man, but not looking promising 🙄

Yours glass half full 😂

54 minutes ago, VincentGuerin said:

I love headlines like that.

Imagine it as a conversation. "Barry, are you afraid of Eintracht"?. "Aye, mate, shiting myself."

It's like when Coach X INSISTS he is the man to turn around Club Y. What the f**k else is he meant to say?

Aye but there's ways of saying it I suppose. When I read it I cringed inwardly.

Compare and contrast to what the German coach is saying about 'we will respect our opponent'...which is usually Continental-speak for, 'we'll no do anything daft and are expecting to batter these howk 'n' hopers'.

Am genuinely fearing a tanking the night...

1 hour ago, VincentGuerin said:

Imagine it as a conversation. "Barry, are you afraid of Eintracht"?. "Aye, mate, shiting myself."

It's like when Coach X INSISTS he is the man to turn around Club Y. What the f**k else is he meant to say?

It’s more the content of the article.

He’s basically lying & treating Dons fans like idiots 

The quicker he’s gone, the better. 

7 minutes ago, Melanius Mullarkay said:

What we saying tonight? 6? 7?

If it’s less than 5, I will be very surprised. 
The winners of the Europa League 18 months ago, the highest ranked team in the tournament, at home to one of the worst teams in the tournament, with a haddy manager & his long ball pish…

What channel is it NOT on? 

1 hour ago, VincentGuerin said:

I’m no fan of Gordon Strachan but always remember him doing an interview as Scotland manager where he called out a journalist and said this isn’t really a conversation, you’re trying to get me to say something that gives you a headline and I’m just trying to avoid saying anything interesting. 

He was spot on, pre match pressers are utterly pointless. A post match interview is mildly more interesting as you ‘might’ see the mask slip if there’s a bit of emotion. 

50 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

I’m no fan of Gordon Strachan but always remember him doing an interview as Scotland manager where he called out a journalist and said this isn’t really a conversation, you’re trying to get me to say something that gives you a headline and I’m just trying to avoid saying anything interesting. 

He was spot on, pre match pressers are utterly pointless. A post match interview is mildly more interesting as you ‘might’ see the mask slip if there’s a bit of emotion. 

Or in Robson’s case, delusion. 

Aberdeen home or away tonight?

If this is any sort of form guide for those looking to have a bet it’s worth remembering that Kilmarnock lost 3-0 away to Eintracht in 1964 but then beat them 5-1 in the return leg at home.

So it appears that the Germans aren’t very good travelers so if you are at Pittodrie you should have a good chance.

34 minutes ago, VincentGuerin said:

Eintracht don't score a lot of goals. I think they'll be comfortable, but they're not the sort of side you're looking at running up a cricket score.

I'd guess 3-0.

be as well just forfeiting the game and getting on the bier.