The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

1 hour ago, VincentGuerin said:

Pretty much this. What is there to discuss?

Aberdeen cutting the allocation is up to them. We've taken decent numbers up there recently, especially with the lack of Saturday games over the last few years. I think we sold out both Saturday games there in the last two seasons.

If they want to cut our allocation to appease the ego of their fans, we'll just need to live with it. Any Hearts fan deficient in PHM Points who fancies the weekend up there anyway could just go undercover and buy one of the plentiful home tickets up for sale.

We could cut the Hearts allocation in half and they still wouldn't sell it out.

Not sure why they're all taking it so personally.

15 minutes ago, MikeAFC94 said:

We could cut the Hearts allocation in half and they still wouldn't sell it out.

Not sure why they're all taking it so personally.

😀

It literally sold out last time.

Aberdeen's support's huff about Hearts' comparatively gigantic crowds is very enjoyable.

3 minutes ago, VincentGuerin said:

😀

Aberdeen's support's huff about Hearts' comparatively gigantic crowds is very enjoyable.

No issue with the crowds - Hearts, Hibs and Aberdeen are all putting better home crowds in than certain other eras in my fitba-supporting life.  Still recall Windass scoring a winner in front of about 6K at Tynecastle.

What is an issue, and I think it can be applied to the Glasgow village-idiot contest - is that one of Scottish/UK football's "USPs" (apologies) is the extra edge in the ground due to the culture of both sides often having decent numbers in there and a bit of tribalism created by folks having an away day out.

Take that away and I'm not sure it's quite the same.  The cheeks have effectively turned their freakshow into the equivalent of trying to sell Sparta Prague v Slavia Prague globally, by basing it on fitba quality alone.   

Hearts have every right to look after their own first, if that's what they feel they're doing - other than seemingly when they play their rivals from near Leith.

If that's the policy, then we have no choice but to reciprocate given that it seems the away section can now be configured accordingly to allow for that.  

4 minutes ago, tarapoa said:

No issue with the crowds - Hearts, Hibs and Aberdeen are all putting better home crowds in than certain other eras in my fitba-supporting life.  Still recall Windass scoring a winner in front of about 6K at Tynecastle.

What is an issue, and I think it can be applied to the Glasgow village-idiot contest - is that one of Scottish/UK football's "USPs" (apologies) is the extra edge in the ground due to the culture of both sides often having decent numbers in there and a bit of tribalism created by folks having an away day out.

Take that away and I'm not sure it's quite the same.  The cheeks have effectively turned their freakshow into the equivalent of trying to sell Sparta Prague v Slavia Prague globally, by basing it on fitba quality alone.   

Hearts have every right to look after their own first, if that's what they feel they're doing - other than seemingly when they play their rivals from near Leith.

If that's the policy, then we have no choice but to reciprocate given that it seems the away section can now be configured accordingly to allow for that.  

I agree with the thrust of this. We all prefer a better atmosphere at the game, but I don't see how it leads on to your final conclusion.

Why do Aberdeen need to reciprocate?

5 minutes ago, VincentGuerin said:

I agree with the thrust of this. We all prefer a better atmosphere at the game, but I don't see how it leads on to your final conclusion.

Why do Aberdeen need to reciprocate?

Childish tit for tat - and because increasing home attendances and the configuration of the ground hopefully now allow for it.

15 minutes ago, tarapoa said:

Childish tit for tat - and because increasing home attendances and the configuration of the ground hopefully now allow for it.

I mean, Aberdeen can do what they like. But it just seems silly to me.

On one hand, you advocate how important it is to have atmosphere etc. Then in the same breath, you advocate lessening that atmosphere at Pittodrie simply in a fit of pique.

We have seen for years that OF away fans discourage attendance from some normal home fans, and some clubs have had season ticket arrangements where OF supports discourage regular attendance. Cutting their allocations makes sense for a number of clubs, as we've seen already.

I don't think any of that applies to Hearts' visits to Pittodrie. Should Aberdeen choose to cut our allocation to 650 we'll just get on with it, but it just seems a silly thing to do. It's not like the Hearts board woke up one day and thought "What can we do to annoy Aberdeen?"

Hearts fill our stadium regularly and that's just the way it is. Taking a petted lip about it would just be pandering to the bruised egos of the more excitable members of Aberdeen's support. Is there any evidence Hearts' current allocation is suppressing home attendance at Pittodrie? It's quite clear how giving Aberdeen a bigger allocation would damage Hearts' ability to meet demand at Tynecastle. But, so be it.

Aberdeen's statement today was just crowd-pleasing bluster, imo.

Edited by VincentGuerin

Nobody has even said that we're cutting OF or Hearts/Hibs allocations. Just that we're making it flexible. Although it does potentially give us leverage should we need it.

It's not bluster as there are concrete measures being taken. I.e. removal of the fence.

So, when we're playing Livingston, for example, we can pack them into one section and let fans who otherwise would have been in the uncovered Section Y get tickets in a covered section closer to the halfway line.

18 minutes ago, VincentGuerin said:

On one hand, you advocate how important it is to have atmosphere etc. Then in the same breath, you advocate lessening that atmosphere at Pittodrie simply in a fit of pique.

We have seen for years that OF away fans discourage attendance from some normal home fans, and some clubs have had season ticket arrangements where OF supports discourage regular attendance. Cutting their allocations makes sense for a number of clubs, as we've seen already.

I don't think any of that applies to Hearts' visits to Pittodrie. Should Aberdeen choose to cut our allocation to 650 we'll just get on with it, but it just seems a silly thing to do. It's not like the Hearts board woke up one day and thought "What can we do to annoy Aberdeen?"

Hearts fill our stadium regularly and that's just the way it is. Taking a petted lip about it would just be pandering to the bruised egos of the more excitable members of Aberdeen's support. Is there any evidence Hearts' current allocation is suppressing home attendance at Pittodrie? It's quite clear how giving Aberdeen a bigger allocation would damage Hearts' ability to meet demand at Tynecastle. But, so be it.

Absolutely right to treat your fans how you treat ours. That's how football is. 

Hearts could easily give us the same allocation you will continue to give Hibs. But you won't because we don't have the same deal in place which is only there because your fans would start crying about finding Easter Road tickets harder to get.

So I'm pro this petty move.

50 minutes ago, VincentGuerin said:

6 (SIX) paragraphs. 

This is what happens when you extend a crowdwank flavoured carrot on this forum. 

20 hours ago, 1GregStewart said:

Enjoyable trip down to Preston. Poor home crowd but nice tribute to Craig Brown.

Over the 90mins I didn’t think there was much in it, bar the 2 quality finishes from their number 10. 
The makeshift back 3 looked very uneasy in the first half hour but grew into it as the game wore on. Milne has a bit about him on the ball, he maybe has a chance of making it. 
Great to see Miovski back on the pitch. He looked lively and contributed well. Also thought Barron did alright when he got on, could do with him playing to his potential this season. 
2 pretty clear penalties mysteriously denied by the ref, was just like last season in that regard where the key decisions definitely didn’t even themselves out over the duration. Maybe will get more decisions this season instead 🤣

Superb support and backing. Hope this continues all season during the rough patches as well as the good times. COYR

Preston was a great trip with cheap drink and good banter with the locals. I think Preston North End are a step up from Hearts/Hibs and it was an even game. The game didn't feel like a preseason game with tackles flying in but it was good workout. Need to make a few more recruitment in the defence and we will be fine. 

5 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

6 (SIX) paragraphs. 

This is what happens when you extend a crowdwank flavoured carrot on this forum. 

Look, I spent lunchtime today reading over the summer's 'efforts' on the Hearts thread from the Aberdeen lads.

However dull I may be, I still have much to learn in being sleep-inducing from the MogaDons boys on here.

3 hours ago, Mr. X said:

With all the talk of 'Flexible' and 'reciprocal' it sounds like Aberdeen want to match the away allocation they receive at opponents grounds. 650 for Hearts it is then. 😄

Hearts haven't really taken a decent support to Pittodrie  so might struggle to sell out. 

Edited by betting competition

20 minutes ago, Carrots and Peas said:

Absolutely right to treat your fans how you treat ours. That's how football is. 

Hearts could easily give us the same allocation you will continue to give Hibs. But you won't because we don't have the same deal in place which is only there because your fans would start crying about finding Easter Road tickets harder to get.

So I'm pro this petty move.

Well, yes. The Hearts - Hibs deal is both clubs looking out for their fans' wishes while accepting that means giving a bit in the home games. Both clubs have weighed it up and decided it works and the fans broadly support it.

I don't see how it's relevant to discussing any other fixture.

2 minutes ago, VincentGuerin said:

Look, I spent lunchtime today reading over the summer's 'efforts' on the Hearts thread from the Aberdeen lads.

However dull I may be, I still have much to learn in being sleep-inducing from the MogaDons boys on here.

‘My teams fans patter is better than yours’

1 hour ago, VincentGuerin said:

😀

Since you are enjoying the crowds fred - Hearts support for the last 10 league games at Pittodrie:

18/3/23 – 1540
16/10/22 – 940
30/10/21 – 830
04/08/19 – 1471
10/05/19 – 368
22/12/18 – 1045
27/04/18 – 460
30/12/17 – 1055
13/08/16 – 1168
12/05/16 - 576 

14 minutes ago, VincentGuerin said:

It's going to be another great year.

Hope your predictions are as good as last season!

Edited by betting competition

9 minutes ago, betting competition said:

Since you are enjoying the crowds fred - Hearts support for the last 10 league games at Pittodrie:

18/3/23 – 1540
16/10/22 – 940
30/10/21 – 830
04/08/19 – 1471
10/05/19 – 368
22/12/18 – 1045
27/04/18 – 460
30/12/17 – 1055
13/08/16 – 1168
12/05/16 - 576 

Got to be honest, mate, I wouldn't even know where to source information about individual away attendances per game. Not a clue.

Am I surprised a P&B Aberdeen fan does? No, no, I am not.

2 minutes ago, VincentGuerin said:

Got to be honest, mate, I wouldn't even know where to source information about individual away attendances per game. Not a clue.

Am I surprised a P&B Aberdeen fan does? No, no, I am not.

The AFC Hertiage Trust has a fantastic website with heaps of information including away attendances.  

https://www.afcheritage.org/