The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

34 minutes ago, DukDukGoose said:

There's far more to work with if you compare MacKenzie to Hayes but Hayes used to be really good and is still fast.

I'd have MacKenzie over Hayes every day of the week.

I’d say if we’re persisting with a 3-1-4-2, then Hayes is the far better option.

If it’s a back 4, then maybe MacKenzie. 

But it’s pretty clear from the ire-season games it’ll be 3 at the back 

Edited by Thenorthernlight

31 minutes ago, Thenorthernlight said:

Here’s a thing. 
Shouldn’t we be looking at better than both?

I’m not sure it would be that difficult, especially with our expanded scouting network. 

Of course, but it's difficult to get the right player in when you're needing 12 or so.

29 minutes ago, Thenorthernlight said:

I’d say if we’re persisting with a 3-1-4-2, then Hayes is the far better option.

If it’s a back 4, then maybe MacKenzie. 

But it’s pretty clear from the ire-season games it’ll be 3 at the back 

I genuinely don't think there's any situation where Hayes is the better option. 

I'd imagine the only reason he's still there is to keep his son in the youth system, added to the really good work he has done taking that team.

Hayes the coach and his child would absolutely be an asset to a Dundee United.

1 hour ago, DukDukGoose said:

There's far more to work with if you compare MacKenzie to Hayes but Hayes used to be really good and is still fast.

I'd have MacKenzie over Hayes every day of the week.

Is there far more to work with? I just don't see that at all. I probably am a bit biased, but to me Hayes still looks like a much better option than Mackenzie at wing-back in our system. 

Hayes isn't perfect, obviously, but I have seen nothing from Mackenzie to suggest that he would be capable of matching the performance levels of Hayes in the wins at the end of last season against Rangers and St Mirren, for example. 

Edited by DrewDon

I’d say having the two of them as our options at LWB going into the new season is a glaring deficiency. 

I was happy enough with Hayes getting a new deal to remain around the squad, if it’s actively stopped us recruiting an actual wing back then we shouldn’t have bothered 

48 minutes ago, DrewDon said:

Is there far more to work with? I just don't see that at all. I probably am a bit biased, but to me Hayes still looks like a much better option than Mackenzie at wing-back in our system. 

Hayes isn't perfect, obviously, but I have seen nothing from Mackenzie to suggest that he would be capable of matching the performance levels of Hayes in the wins at the end of last season against Rangers and St Mirren, for example. 

Looking at our team as it is (and was), Hayes would be my first pick against the ugliest.

Since moving to the RDU it's even more glaring how poor he is movement wise now that the legs aren't what they were.

MacKenzie can defend first and foremost. If we're going 3 at the back then I'd keep him as back up lcb as they are line hens teeth.

4 hours ago, DukDukGoose said:

Looking at our team as it is (and was), Hayes would be my first pick against the ugliest.

Since moving to the RDU it's even more glaring how poor he is movement wise now that the legs aren't what they were.

MacKenzie can defend first and foremost. If we're going 3 at the back then I'd keep him as back up lcb as they are line hens teeth.

Ok, everyone on here knows that you have a strange dislike for Jonny Hayes. You really don't have to put that in every post you make, but you do. 

3 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

Dislike him as a player now, then. 

Playing wise he should be nowhere near the club and gets a lot of grace from some due to what he did almost a decade ago.

If it was a player of equivalent ability with no prior connection to the club then folk would want him anywhere other than here.

23 minutes ago, DukDukGoose said:

Playing wise he should be nowhere near the club and gets a lot of grace from some due to what he did almost a decade ago.

If it was a player of equivalent ability with no prior connection to the club then folk would want him anywhere other than here.

Fans relate to his fantastic attitude and energy. It’s only natural. 
As has been said a million times, end product needs to be better.

6 minutes ago, 1GregStewart said:

Fans relate to his fantastic attitude and energy. It’s only natural
As has been said a million times, end product needs to be better.

That's never been in doubt.

Not a reason to keep him at the club and as it stands, a first pick.

8 hours ago, DukDukGoose said:

That's never been in doubt.

Not a reason to keep him at the club and as it stands, a first pick.

More to it than that. A lot to be said for keeping some ‘club men’. Long term servants who care about the club and can help with the youngsters. Someone to look up to and encourage longevity instead of completely different teams every couple of years. 

9 hours ago, DukDukGoose said:

Don't dislike the man at all joey.

Swing and a miss.

I’ll be honest, there’s been times when I’ve wondered if hayes has shagged your mrs or something :lol:

but I broadly agree, our reliance on him is frustrating. 

2 hours ago, 1GregStewart said:

More to it than that. A lot to be said for keeping some ‘club men’. Long term servants who care about the club and can help with the youngsters. Someone to look up to and encourage longevity instead of completely different teams every couple of years. 

Remember this is the same man who there's been countless stories told that begins with "Jonny put a shite in his bag".

2 hours ago, Dons_1988 said:

I’ll be honest, there’s been times when I’ve wondered if hayes has shagged your mrs or something :lol:

but I broadly agree, our reliance on him is frustrating. 

🤣

Not really. Just call it as I see it. If someone was sad enough to search, they'd see I've given him praise where it was due.