The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

23 hours ago, tarapoa said:

Anyone else still waiting on their season ticket arriving?

I was mobile ST last season, but they binned that and said they’d post the cards out ‘early this week’.

Got mine on Monday but am still waiting on my away top that I ordered when they released it 

7 minutes ago, Thenorthernlight said:

Can’t draw two English clubs? 

That as well.

Liverpool would obviously be a fun draw. Genuinely think Brighton less so.

The Amex is a pain in the arse to get to, Brighton is expensive as f**k, it doesn't quite have the glamour you're looking for in a 'name'  (and they'd certainly not be arsed about playing you from a fans' perspective) and you'd get pumped rotten as they're quite a good side with an upwardly-mobile manager who'll take it seriously. Lose, lose, lose , lose.

I always think in these things you want one 'name' for the masses and part-timers, one accessible and cheap trip to somewhere a bit different, and one completely off-the-beaten-track. Hearts' draw last year was amazing from a trips perspective.

Edited by VincentGuerin

4 hours ago, Rodhull said:

Thats the projected Seeds if we were to make it past Hacken into the Europa groups.

Stating the obvious but looks like it’ll be really tough almost regardless of who we’d draw.

4 hours ago, Rodhull said:

…and that’s the Conference. Maybe a bit easier but not by that much.

Give me the conference league any day of the week. More chance of wins > more fun > more money > more sweet coefficient points.

In the Europa, you’ve got glamour ties but if we don’t get anything from the first couple of games or are dumped out early, it could lose its shine very quickly. There’s real potential to Rangers it also.

12 hours ago, lubo_blaha said:

Give me the conference league any day of the week. More chance of wins > more fun > more money > more sweet coefficient points.

In the Europa, you’ve got glamour ties but if we don’t get anything from the first couple of games or are dumped out early, it could lose its shine very quickly. There’s real potential to Rangers it also.

How very defeatist of you.

"I want the weaker competition so we won more money".

Gads.

28 minutes ago, lubo_blaha said:

That’s not what I said. 

Surely it’s better we play in a competition that’s appropriate to our level.

Surely you want us to see us play the best? 

Surely that's a bigger draw to signing players?

Remember our UEFA cup season under Jimmy Calderwood? We were essentially no hopers in that group. Would you have traded that for competition that is more appropriate to our level?

39 minutes ago, lubo_blaha said:

That’s not what I said. 

It isn’t what you said in fairness but it is a bit defeatist. 

Who knows when we may get this opportunity again, we surely just strive for the highest possible level we can get? The difference in prize money is immaterial, it’s all about the football and the memories. 

1 hour ago, lubo_blaha said:

That’s not what I said. 

I think our level should be the EL. It’s not with the current squad but:

We’re still working very hard to strengthen the squad across several areas between now and the end of the window. We’ve got numerous irons in the fire…”

We’ve still a superstar or two to go. I reckon a Ramadani replacement, the next choice AM on the list after Teklic fell through and a LCB minimum. Hopefully a proper LB too but less hope of that. 

I doubt we’ll win it or even get out of the groups but we should give a reasonable account of ourselves, if we can get past Hacken first.

14 minutes ago, coprolite said:

I think our level should be the EL. It’s not with the current squad but:

We’re still working very hard to strengthen the squad across several areas between now and the end of the window. We’ve got numerous irons in the fire…”

We’ve still a superstar or two to go. I reckon a Ramadani replacement, the next choice AM on the list after Teklic fell through and a LCB minimum. Hopefully a proper LB too but less hope of that. 

I doubt we’ll win it or even get out of the groups but we should give a reasonable account of ourselves, if we can get past Hacken first.

Is mcgarry not effectively the proper left back? 

3 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

Is mcgarry not effectively the proper left back? 

He could be. To be honest I’ve no real idea what standard the A league is (or what the viariability is like within it. he was probably too young to judge on limited appearances at Willem II. If he is a proper lb, great; if not we still need one. 

3 minutes ago, coprolite said:

He could be. To be honest I’ve no real idea what standard the A league is (or what the viariability is like within it. he was probably too young to judge on limited appearances at Willem II. If he is a proper lb, great; if not we still need one. 

Sorry, I agree. But I suspect he has been signed under the guise of being the left back. I suspect the recruitment team now consider the role filled. We now wait and see if he’s any good. 

2 hours ago, DukDukGoose said:

Surely you want us to see us play the best? 

Surely that's a bigger draw to signing players?

Remember our UEFA cup season under Jimmy Calderwood? We were essentially no hopers in that group. Would you have traded that for competition that is more appropriate to our level?

I would be amazed if it made any difference to who we can sign. If we qualify, we’ll have 24 hours before the window shuts. Is a player really going to turn us down because he’ll be playing 6 games in the conference instead of the Europa? I doubt it.

I wouldn’t have traded how that turned out, although we were quite fortunate in setup of groups back then. We went into the final game with a chance of progressing with just one point, which won’t be the case now, and obviously went on to pump Copenhagen and drew Bayern. We look back on it favourably because of that but the competition we’re joining now is a different kettle of fish (would bite your hand off for the chance to do those trips though).

2 hours ago, Dons_1988 said:

It isn’t what you said in fairness but it is a bit defeatist. 

Who knows when we may get this opportunity again, we surely just strive for the highest possible level we can get? The difference in prize money is immaterial, it’s all about the football and the memories. 

Perhaps it is. I don’t think our team is ready to really compete at EL level at the moment. Had it been a few years into the McInnes era or if Robson had more time to build his team then absolutely but I don’t think we’re there yet. I’d personally rather be in the conference with one big team and a couple that we can match on our day than have six ties where we’re really up against it. 

The prize money point was more in response to those thinking the Europa would be more lucrative. As you say, the football and memories are the big things.

4 minutes ago, lubo_blaha said:

I would be amazed if it made any difference to who we can sign. If we qualify, we’ll have 24 hours before the window shuts. Is a player really going to turn us down because he’ll be playing 6 games in the conference instead of the Europa? I doubt it.

I wouldn’t have traded how that turned out, although we were quite fortunate in setup of groups back then. We went into the final game with a chance of progressing with just one point, which won’t be the case now, and obviously went on to pump Copenhagen and drew Bayern. We look back on it favourably because of that but the competition we’re joining now is a different kettle of fish (would bite your hand off for the chance to do those trips though).

Perhaps it is. I don’t think our team is ready to really compete at EL level at the moment. Had it been a few years into the McInnes era or if Robson had more time to build his team then absolutely but I don’t think we’re there yet. I’d personally rather be in the conference with one big team and a couple that we can match on our day than have six ties where we’re really up against it. 

The prize money point was more in response to those thinking the Europa would be more lucrative. As you say, the football and memories are the big things.

I'm talking about potential signings for next season.

If you're signing for European football (which players admit they do) would you be wanting to play Europa, against top teams, or Europa against average teams?