The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

Morris looked good going forward in the first-half, but as has been said his end product is needing work. Also clearly not as comfortable with the defensive side of being a wing-back, and Devlin had to have a couple of goes at him about Maeda in the first half. He was fine, I suppose, but I do wonder what the reaction would be if, say, Hayes had put in a similar standard of performance to that. 

1 minute ago, DrewDon said:

Morris looked good going forward in the first-half, but as has been said his end product is needing work. Also clearly not as comfortable with the defensive side of being a wing-back, and Devlin had to have a couple of goes at him about Maeda in the first half. He was fine, I suppose, but I do wonder what the reaction would be if, say, Hayes had put in a similar standard of performance to that. 

Hayes isn't 21 and thrown in the deep end out of position though.

Just now, DukDukGoose said:

Hayes isn't 21 and thrown in the deep end out of position though.

That's true. I just think the extent of some of the praise might be a little bit on the generous side. Also, I suppose the end product criticism would be just as pertinent, if not more so, if he was playing as a more traditional winger. 

11 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

Yeah he’s been fine. Very solid, he’s obviously not the most mobile so he’s going to struggle with clever movement and pace, but we just need to build around that. There was one moment first half when maeda left him for dead and you could see that vulnerability but generally he’s done well. 

To be fair Maeda is one of the quickest, if not THE quickest in the league, he’d beat anyone for pace.

That’s the problem with a back 3, your “outside” centre halves can get exposed badly against a front 3.

I remember Pollock had a shocker at Pittodrie against Hibs as he was exposed one on one against Youan 

1 minute ago, DrewDon said:

That's true. I just think the extent of some of the praise might be a little bit on the generous side. Also, I suppose the end product criticism would be just as pertinent, if not more so, if he was playing as a more traditional winger. 

I was critical of Shinnie for the foul and Devlin for the second but I'd probably have cut MacKenzie some slack for the same mistakes.

I'd give him a couple of more games there to see how he gets on.

1 minute ago, DukDukGoose said:

I was critical of Shinnie for the foul and Devlin for the second but I'd probably have cut MacKenzie some slack for the same mistakes.

I'd give him a couple of more games there to see how he gets on.

I'd imagine Devlin will go out there once MacDonald is fit. 

1 hour ago, kingjoey said:

I haven't seen anything about it, but to me it seemed as if the pitch has been taken in a foot or so at the stand side, to maybe accommodate the new dugouts?

On a bit of a tangent but speaking of ground alterations, it looks like the wheelchair area at the Merkland end has been raised to give them a better view. 

It’s good to see some subtle improvements being made to the old ground. It’s been neglected for far too long. 

Match thread looks a laugh...

Quite pleasantly surprised this afternoon (howlers aside), we competed well with what we had available which is far more than I expected going into the game.

Alot more relaxed with Polvara, Morris, Duncan being able to contribute In the coming campaigns and it would be harsh to overly criticise anyone.

5 hours ago, DunbartonshireRed said:

I've heard 2 names regarding midfielders. Mark Zabukovnik who I think was name dropped aswell on an RTG podcast. 12 goals and 4 assists isn't bad for a defensive midfielder. 

The other one is Jani Atanasov. Think this one is a bit more wishful thinking considering he's played for Bursaspor and Hadjuk Split in recent seasons. Now in top flight in Poland. He's an international teammate of Bojan. 

Everytime I see a non UK sounding name linked I find myself reading it out numerous times in my head to confirm it is not a Yerda type gag, pisses me off no end😄

I wonder if Vinny will leave during this transfer window.

I'm surprised we haven't seen Dadia feature yet.

I'd like to see more of Sokler. Hoping he gets a start against Stirling Albion.

Robson indicated we may have to wait until future windows to secure the right player. According to Cormack we had agreed a significant fee for Teklic which ultimately we didn't spend. Cormack also indicated that the Ramadani fee will be used to replace him and be used elsewhere in the squad.

I think the recruitment we have done this summer has been very good however there is still some work to be done. We are a few players away from being a really good side. We have roughly 10 days before we play in Europe. We'll just have to remain patient and see what unfolds.

12 hours ago, kingjoey said:

I haven't seen anything about it, but to me it seemed as if the pitch has been taken in a foot or so at the stand side, to maybe accommodate the new dugouts?

Also looks like the directors box had been slightly expanded. From being in it a few times there use to be 4 seats on their own behind the away dug out that now looks like a while row 

Jimmy Mcgarry’s interview on RedTV is very good, esp considering he must have been shattered after a 30 hour journey. 

However I been wary of inspiring new player interview since Funso Ojo’s arrival - the way he spoke made me think we’d signed a guy who was a perfect hybrid of Jean Tigana and Gaizka Mendieta.

On 11/08/2023 at 20:53, VincentGuerin said:

I always think in these things you want one 'name' for the masses and part-timers, one accessible and cheap trip to somewhere a bit different, and one completely off-the-beaten-track. Hearts' draw last year was amazing from a trips perspective.

Which one of Zürich, Istanbul, Riga and Florence is "off-the-beaten-track" then?

The unfortunate side-effect of Hearts ill-fated European campaign last season was that I've spotted Hearts Union Jack decorated stickers in various places across Europe this year.

Edited by Bogbrush1903

6 hours ago, Bogbrush1903 said:

Which one of Zürich, Istanbul, Riga and Florence is "off-the-beaten-track" then?

The unfortunate side-effect of Hearts ill-fated European campaign last season was that I've spotted Hearts Union Jack decorated stickers in various places across Europe this year.

Are you just set to 'argue'?

In fitba terms, Istanbul was. In comparison to the other trips (we didn't play in Zurich) it was far away and off most people's radar. Far fewer went there than the others.

And I was referring to the group draw. Given the choice, i'd have replaced St Gallen with something a bit more eastern, but that's just me.

Plenty people on these boards will have been to Latvia, Italy, and Switzerland for fitba; be it Scotland games, club games, or weekends away. Indeed, for Latvia and Florence I had recommendations for places to go etc from other people who had been for those reasons. Far fewer had been to Turkey for fitba. Nobody I know, actually. Maybe you know loads of folk who have been there. Good for you.

* In fact, ken what? Hearts draw was shite. Terrible. I'm sure Aberdeen's will be much better. You win, big man.

Edited by VincentGuerin

1 hour ago, VincentGuerin said:

In fitba terms, Istanbul was. In comparison to the other trips (we didn't play in Zurich) it was far away and off most people's radar. Far fewer went there than the others.

And I was referring to the group draw. Given the choice, i'd have replaced St Gallen with something a bit more eastern, but that's just me.

Plenty people on these boards will have been to Latvia, Italy, and Switzerland for fitba; be it Scotland games, club games, or weekends away. Indeed, for Latvia and Florence I had recommendations for places to go etc from other people who had been for those reasons. Far fewer had been to Turkey for fitba. Nobody I know, actually. Maybe you know loads of folk who have been there. Good for you.

* In fact, ken what? Hearts draw was shite. Terrible. I'm sure Aberdeen's will be much better. You win, big man.

You could have chosen to ignore his post. I find it easy to do that. Oh, wait...

2 hours ago, VincentGuerin said:

Didn't Hearts play in the Stadion Letzigrund in Zürich last season?