The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

Just now, lubo_blaha said:

Atmosphere was good in the Merkland for most of the game. The rest of the ground seemed to be mute. It’s funny how the atmosphere can feel different in different parts of the ground though. I could see the HJK fans were supporting their team actively but couldn’t hear them apart from the goal.

That's true, I stand near the top of Section Y so sometimes the atmosphere in the rest of the stadium can be difficult to gauge.

I suppose my comments were biased towards a Section Y perspective where the atmosphere was strangely restrained.

It actually reminded me on that Stavanger game in the Energy Cities Cup which was free entry and many families took up the opportunity to attend, or the Scotland v Netherlands match. I knew that I was in Section Y but it didn't feel like I was...

14 hours ago, Bogbrush1903 said:

That's true, I stand near the top of Section Y so sometimes the atmosphere in the rest of the stadium can be difficult to gauge.

I suppose my comments were biased towards a Section Y perspective where the atmosphere was strangely restrained.

It actually reminded me on that Stavanger game in the Energy Cities Cup which was free entry and many families took up the opportunity to attend, or the Scotland v Netherlands match. I knew that I was in Section Y but it didn't feel like I was...

it was a little subdued (from the middle of the South).  An hour long first half may have been a factor.

26 minutes ago, Dunfermline Don said:

What are the chances of tomorrow’s game being called off?

I am supposed to be driving up from Fife with the autistic guy that I look after and we are experiencing monsoon like weather down here today. 

I think it will be okay.  It's unpleasant weather here, but not torrential.

So currently looking at this season fixtures past and coming up.

our first home 3pm Saturday league game currently looking to be the 9th of December then the next being on the 29th.

After the winter shutdown we are looking at 4 weekend league games to played at home. Guessing Celtic will end up a tv pick and a chance Dundee becomes a 6pm again we are looking at Hibs and Ross county as only two Saturday 3pm games. 
A total of 4 3pm Saturday games post split. That surely has to be record if it does come to that 

rock n roll Saturday I I know 

7 hours ago, Thenorthernlight said:

Aye, but for 12 hours, from 3am-3pm, it’s to be heavy persistent rain.

Aye, bit heavier tonight. If I had to guess I would still say it would be on, but less sure than a few hours ago.

3 minutes ago, STFU_Donny said:

I don’t know how accurate the met office rainfall map is but it doesn’t look too bad on the coast. Should be game on!

I use Meteoblue (amongst others for the hills etc), and it reckons 20mm between 6am and 3pm, so averaging 2 and a bit mm per hour. Not insignificant, but probably not game ending.

Screenshot2023-10-07220210.png.6a534508e9fe95fb30910835f8cbaade.png

Sorry lads but we looked miles better without Shinnie in there during the second half.

An important player but contributes nothing when we have the majority of the ball.

He's taking four touches to do what Polvara, Barron and Clarkson can do with one or two.

Hayes looked much better when we got the ball to him quicker.

Glad we seemingly spent months trying to sign Gueye only to appear to have no idea how to fit him into the team even when we’re chasing a late goal.

Not that he’s impressed particularly in what little time we have given him.

12 minutes ago, Rodhull said:

Glad we seemingly spent months trying to sign Gueye only to appear to have no idea how to fit him into the team even when we’re chasing a late goal.

Not that he’s impressed particularly in what little time we have given him.

That says more about Gueye than it does the clown in the dug out to be fair. 

Why do we persist with this formation? It’s design has so many men behind the ball, centre midfielder picks it up and has so little scope for a forward pass with no wingers, three centre backs behind them and wing backs who have too much ground to cover. Ends up with midfielders playing really straight balls for the strikers. It works if you are counter attacking but we won’t be counter attacking in more than 50% of our games.

To answer my initial question- the issue is we have recruited exclusively for this dud formation. 4 out and out strikers with no wingers. Heaps of centre midfielders who can’t play wide. We’ve gone all in on this for some reason. If we did sack Robson, the new manager would be left with this squad which is specifically designed for this strange formation choice, why would Burrows and others let this Plan A only strategy happen? 

A fairly dire afternoon. Maybe we need to play 4 at the back for a game like that. Only real plus signs were Rubezic and Barron. We were all screaming for a central midfielder to be signed but maybe Barron would not have re-emerged if we had.