The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

52 minutes ago, coprolite said:

We should be beating the likes of St Mirren more often than they beat us. 

There's a very robust correlation between budget and league position. Ours is usually bigger. 

The fifteen ish years where we didn't have the third biggest budget, say 1998 to 2013, also corresponds to our poorest league positions. 

If St Mirren have signed better players on a lower budget, then surely that's reasonable grounds for us getting annoyed at how the team is being run, and something that we can correctly say "shouldn't" happen. I don't think you have, but that's besides the point. 

There's a thought process when the team is underperforming. 

We lost a match. "Should" we have won it? If so, can we just put it down to bad luck/ dodgy decisions? The second question gets harder to answer yes to as the team continues to underperform and it starts to be more about the cause- tired because of Europe? Shit manager? Poor signings? All of the above? 

It's about benchmarking reasonable expectations, not about whether we have a god given place in a hierarchy. 

Yes mate another poster pointed out similar. I absolutely agree that bigger money SHOULD buy better players and consequently should lead to beating teams with lower budgets. 
My original point was due to the fact that I understood Lubo’s post to mean that this particular Aberdeen squad should be beating teams with smaller budgets because they cost more. I would disagree with that because I don’t believe Aberdeen have spent their money well. If that’s the point being made (i.e. mismanagement of available budget) then I agree, but I understood it differently. Fair dos if I got that wrong 👍

1 minute ago, kingjoey said:

That's what all fans do.

Thing is mate. I’m sure I heard similar things after we beat you last season in early February before you went on a great run to secure 3rd place from a 6th position IIRC. 
No prizes are handed out in October (or February!). 

I am sure Hearts board members and fans alike had the cigars out way too early last season believing they had secured 3rd spot. They were rather fortunate to finish as high as they did last year. 

I will obviously be pleased if St Mirren can sustain the great start but there is a long long way to go. 

2 hours ago, tarapoa said:

You then have the ultimate insult of St Mirren fans coming on here and saying they wouldn't swap any of their jobbers for any of our players.

Ha ha. Ours are “jobbers” but yours are “players”. 
In fairness (other than a few positions) I wasn’t suggesting our squad is necessarily better than yours, just that it’s not any worse and it cost a helluva lot less to put together. 
But come on, you can’t tell me that Ryan Strain wouldn’t be an upgrade on Nicky Devlin, or that Alex Gogic isn’t an upgrade on Rubezic, or that Keanu Baccus or Mark O’Hara would look out of place in your midfield? Likewise, I don’t see Gartenmann and Jensen as any better than Taylor and Fraser. There’s a perception that because they cost more, they must be, but in reality they are not. 

Edited by TPAFKA Jersey 2

42 minutes ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

Ha ha. Ours are “jobbers” but yours are “players”. 
In fairness (other than a few positions) I wasn’t suggesting our squad is necessarily better than yours, just that it’s not any worse and it cost a helluva lot less to put together. 
But come on, you can’t tell me that Ryan Strain wouldn’t be an upgrade on Nicky Devlin, or that Alex Gogic isn’t an upgrade on Rubezic, or that Keanu Baccus or Mark O’Hara would look out of place in your midfield? Likewise, I don’t see Gartenmann and Jensen as any better than Taylor and Fraser. There’s a perception that because they cost more, they must be, but in reality they are not. 

As good as O'Hara has been at St Mirren, he wouldn't get near our midfield.

The only one there who is absolutely better than the player of ours you mention is Strain. We know this because there is a large sample size of evidence.

20 minutes ago, DukDukGoose said:

As good as O'Hara has been at St Mirren, he wouldn't get near our midfield.

The only one there who is absolutely better than the player of ours you mention is Strain. We know this because there is a large sample size of evidence.

All about opinions eh mate, but if you offered me a swap right now to take Shinnie instead of either O’Hara or Baccus I’d tell you to do one. 

36 minutes ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

All about opinions eh mate, but if you offered me a swap right now to take Shinnie instead of either O’Hara or Baccus I’d tell you to do one. 

I'm still getting over your number one fan Chick Young telling us that we'd won a watch by outmanoeuvring Liverpool, AC Milan etc for the signature of Ricky Gillies.

Sometimes you get these guys who are good at a certain level.  O'Hara would certainly come into that category - Baccus maybe has more potential to step up a notch and play on a bigger stage.

38 minutes ago, DukDukGoose said:

I honestly don't know what you're trying to achieve here.

Do I need to be trying to “achieve” something? I thought I was just giving my opinion on a football forum. 
What are you trying to “achieve” by posting on here. 
Or am I not allowed on this thread?

20 minutes ago, tarapoa said:

I'm still getting over your number one fan Chick Young telling us that we'd won a watch by outmanoeuvring Liverpool, AC Milan etc for the signature of Ricky Gillies.

Sometimes you get these guys who are good at a certain level.  O'Hara would certainly come into that category - Baccus maybe has more potential to step up a notch and play on a bigger stage.

I’m trying to remember but was Ricky absolutely shite for you or just nothing to write home about? It was always a punt for you guys as he’d only ever been a championship (or first division) player for us, so your point about a player being good at a certain level certainly stacks up there. 

I’m not sure though if you are trying to suggest that current St. Mirren players are operating at a different level to Aberdeen? I don’t think they are but if it could be argued that they are, at the moment it might not be the way round that you mean. 😄

1 hour ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

Do I need to be trying to “achieve” something? I thought I was just giving my opinion on a football forum. 
What are you trying to “achieve” by posting on here. 
Or am I not allowed on this thread?

Post where you want pal.

Don't be so surprised that Aberdeen fans don't rate your players to the same level of ability as you do and have little interest in debating it either.

2 minutes ago, DukDukGoose said:

Post where you want pal.

Don't be so surprised that Aberdeen fans don't rate your players to the same level of ability as you do and have little interest in debating it either.

A couple of your pals seem to be engaging just fine. Even if they don’t agree with me. That’s what opinions are all about. You’re the only one being a wee bit of a knob about it, presumably because you don’t like what I’m saying. 

33 minutes ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

A couple of your pals seem to be engaging just fine. Even if they don’t agree with me. That’s what opinions are all about. You’re the only one being a wee bit of a knob about it, presumably because you don’t like what I’m saying. 

Used to St Mirren fans jumping in and getting upset that nobody else rates them as highly as they do 👍🏻

2 hours ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

I’m not sure though if you are trying to suggest that current St. Mirren players are operating at a different level to Aberdeen? I don’t think they are but if it could be argued that they are, at the moment it might not be the way round that you mean. 😄

Gonna no promote our players as being better than other teams - especially The Dandy Dons.

I still haven’t got over losing Bell, Cowan, Weir, Stark and McDougall to Fergie.

15 minutes ago, Molotov said:

Gonna no promote our players as being better than other teams - especially The Dandy Dons.

I still haven’t got over losing Bell, Cowan, Weir, Stark and McDougall to Fergie.

Don’t be daft. Our players are obviously far too shite for a team as lofty as Aberdeen to sign. 
They’d much rather sign players they’ve never heard of for much more money who turn out to be a bit shite 🤣.

Is 5-4-1 our new best formation in the league as well as Europe, regardless of the opposition or venue?

You’d think it will be used maybe in the next 4, which is a very tough run. 

Saturday - Hibs semi at Hampden   
Thursday - PAOK away. 
Sunday - Celtic away   
Sunday - The Rangers. 

Edited by Thenorthernlight

2 hours ago, Thenorthernlight said:

Is 5-4-1 our new best formation in the league as well as Europe, regardless of the opposition or venue?

You’d think it will be used maybe in the next 4, which is a very tough run. 

Saturday - Hibs semi at Hampden   
Thursday - PAOK away. 
Sunday - Celtic away   
Sunday - The Rangers. 

It also has the advantage of converting to something more like a 343 just by pushing up the flanks. Looked quite like that at points tonight. Not suggesting that for the games listed but for if/when we come up against anyone else as beatable as Motherwell were tonight.