The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

18 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

His decision making has improved a lot. I distinctly remember the opening day at livi him winning the ball high up the pitch but then holding onto it far too long then playing an overly heavy pass that sent Duk wide and to the byline. He did something similar against Celtic a week or two later. 

He now seems far more assured when he gets the ball and confident. He makes decisions early and spreads the ball in a really effective way. 

Yeah definitely.

Next point of topic, anyone else delighted to see Rubi win two headers within 5 seconds of each other last night? 🤣

1 hour ago, DrewDon said:

In all seriousness, I'm not quite there yet, but there is a lot I like about his game at the moment. It helps that he is beginning to use his size more effectively, too. I especially enjoy, although I think this might have been the case since he signed, how his long range passing is actually better and more accurate than his short range passing.

I think he’s only going to get better. It’s a significant shift going from College/below-MLS football in America to playing over here in terms of style, physicality, pace of the game etc. I didn’t think we’d see him again after his loan move last year but he’s had a really good season and added a lot to his game.

1 hour ago, Dons_1988 said:

His decision making has improved a lot. I distinctly remember the opening day at livi him winning the ball high up the pitch but then holding onto it far too long then playing an overly heavy pass that sent Duk wide and to the byline. He did something similar against Celtic a week or two later. 

He now seems far more assured when he gets the ball and confident. He makes decisions early and spreads the ball in a really effective way. 

Even in recent games against Motherwell and St Johnstone, there were times when he did some really good work in the middle third, but then found himself with space to run into and a chance to make a run at the box, but it was like he froze and just didn't back himself to do it. It has looked over the last couple of games as if he has taken that handbrake off. 

I still have a couple of question marks about him out of possession, not necessarily his pressing (which has always been pretty decent, I think) but more his defensive awareness. Still a work in progress, though. 

He has certainly far exceeded what I thought he would contribute this season.

Liam Kelly supposedly signing for 'Rangers'. Based on a limited amount of evidence, Robby McCrorie is a better player. Worth trying for a permanent deal, or a loan with an option like we had with his brother?

51 minutes ago, Ampersand said:

Liam Kelly supposedly signing for 'Rangers'. Based on a limited amount of evidence, Robby McCrorie is a better player. Worth trying for a permanent deal, or a loan with an option like we had with his brother?

Has to be better options out there surely. Didn't look impressive at Livingston and I think got into Scotland squads solely for being at one of them.

3 minutes ago, Rodhull said:

Has to be better options out there surely. Didn't look impressive at Livingston and I think got into Scotland squads solely for being at one of them.

Fair. I'd certainly hope they've identified someone from further afield who doesn't come with an unwarranted OF price premium.

41 minutes ago, lubo_blaha said:

He’s wasted his career already. Need to be playing games at that age.

Aye, I think my brain had ignored the fact they're twins. He's 26 and barely played any football. Don't know why all you lot even suggested him to be honest. 

On 16/05/2024 at 14:26, lubo_blaha said:

Hearts U16s have a better stadium.

I've heard 25000 Hearts fans watch them every week as well. It would be 30,000 but the stadium is too small.

Hearts are building a new hotel complex and stadium to cope with the demand. True story.

9 hours ago, Ampersand said:

Hilarious signing for the **** if true.

1 hour ago, DukDukGoose said:

Hilarious signing for the **** if true.

I was worried that we might go for him, but please Rangers take him. I’d rather keep Roos.

Nothing concrete admittedly, but I saw Scott Burns suggesting it is unlikely that Gartenmann will return for next season. I have mixed feelings about him, to be honest - some excellent games against better opposition, and better performances under Leven against more physical forwards, but probably not done enough over the season to suggest that we should be rushing into anything permanent, especially with three centre-backs under contract. In fairness, it could be a case that he took a bit of time to acclimatise to the Scottish game, too. 

It is nothing we don't already know, but our defensive recruitment last summer was bad, and we can't afford a repeat of that. If Jensen and McGarry are still here under Thelin, and I'd imagine they will be tough to shift given their contract situations, hopefully we can begin to see improvements now they have had a season to settle. But, being hard-headed, I am concerned that they are both fundamentally examples of bad recruitment (and possibly being a bit too led by data, not to go all Warnock).

We have three centre-backs under contract who are all quite flawed; I would be minded to stick with Rubezic just because he has more useful attributes than the other two, but in an ideal world I would be wanting a new first choice partnership. MacDonald played a part in stabilising us, but he's not as good as some like to make out. In the full-back areas, I don't particularly rate Devlin, but he might not be an immediate priority for upgrading; Mackenzie has shown positive signs, but you would want better competition for him than McGarry in a genuinely strong squad with our budget.

I actually thought Roos was decent enough for the most part under Leven after being poor under Robson and Warnock, and some of the criticism he got at set plays and crosses was exaggerated and a bit lazy at times, but best for all parties that he is moving on. 

6 minutes ago, DrewDon said:

Nothing concrete admittedly, but I saw Scott Burns suggesting it is unlikely that Gartenmann will return for next season. I have mixed feelings about him, to be honest - some excellent games against better opposition, and better performances under Leven against more physical forwards, but probably not done enough over the season to suggest that we should be rushing into anything permanent, especially with three centre-backs under contract. In fairness, it could be a case that he took a bit of time to acclimatise to the Scottish game, too. 

It is nothing we don't already know, but our defensive recruitment last summer was bad, and we can't afford a repeat of that. If Jensen and McGarry are still here under Thelin, and I'd imagine they will be tough to shift given their contract situations, hopefully we can begin to see improvements now they have had a season to settle. But, being hard-headed, I am concerned that they are both fundamentally examples of bad recruitment (and possibly being a bit too led by data, not to go all Warnock).

We have three centre-backs under contract who are all quite flawed; I would be minded to stick with Rubezic just because he has more useful attributes than the other two, but in an ideal world I would be wanting a new first choice partnership. MacDonald played a part in stabilising us, but he's not as good as some like to make out. In the full-back areas, I don't particularly rate Devlin, but he might not be an immediate priority for upgrading; Mackenzie has shown positive signs, but you would want better competition for him than McGarry in a genuinely strong squad with our budget.

I actually thought Roos was decent enough for the most part under Leven after being poor under Robson and Warnock, and some of the criticism he got at set plays and crosses was exaggerated and a bit lazy at times, but best for all parties that he is moving on. 

Wouldn’t argue with any of that. 

On 22/05/2024 at 10:21, Ampersand said:

2 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

Ignoring the lazy mccrorie link, the ex elfsborg, now Brentford guy is interesting. Although we’ve been burned with loan keepers before 😔

Sevco bench warmer? No thanks.

Icelandic international ex-handball player? Yes please!